Period flint lock pistols

faucon de mer

With my eyes on the horizon for a flint pistol worth a hoot and actually shoots, I came across a long list of pistols at Dixie Gun Works made by Perdersoli of Italy. Has any one used this make of pistol and does the lock throw a good spark?

I am building my second flint rifle and am crossing over to flint pistols. I am not satisfied with the pistols I'm finding on the market. They either dont fit the time period or dont appear to be made very well. I cant bear to carry a pistol that is not a real shooter. None of this ornate belt sticking things. Other than Dixie, Track of the Wolf carries a nice Kentucky pistol kit though it does not quite fit the naval scene.

So.... what pistols are out there that persons are happy with and shoot well?

Of course everyone does fire their pistol, dont they, and left handed at that?

Faucon

:ph34r:

Thar be other fine manufacturers, but the Pedersoli line be some fine weapons......mine sparks eternally, and came well proofed...If top dog quality is what you seek, then it be hard to beat custom kits from Track 'o the wolf, etc. ..A small Siler , Durr's Egg, or small Queene Anne lock'll do nicely....... As far as 'Dixie', they be fine, you can save 5-10 bucks on the same pieces from Cherry's........ :ph34r: ...As far as 'Naval', thar be fine sea service copies from several makers....Some good, some not so fine..... :huh:

I've been really happy with the doglock I got a few months ago from Loylalist Arms and repair. I've got a couple of flintlocks, and this one is by far the most relaible, spark wise.

I think Pendersoli or any number of other manufacturers make reliable guns. The other question is (regarding period) what period are ya lookin to portray. Doglocks go from very late 1500s all the way through the mid 1700s (so the Swedes are a little slow sometimes) but a queen anne would be from the late 1600s on.....It be not so much What yr shootin, but When

:) :ph34r:

Drop a kitten six feet, and she grins...

Drop an elephant six feet, and ya gots yerself a mess ta clean up....

Sometimes bein' the biggest and most powerful is the LAST thing you wanna be.....

Mad Ozymandias Zorg the Unsnottered

If you want a to do a kit Dixie is cool., and the Italian guns are good., but if you want a lock ready to and want to pay a pistols price., get the Loyalist or the museum reproductions from Military Heritage and you'll find the dollars spent will bring a lifetime of happiness to the man behind the trigger as well as a collectable peice., the military Heritage use a slightly differant steel on the frizzen to throw an even better spark than normal., (yea it smokes at .62 caliber for sea service) also be sure to buy english flints 5/8 or 3/4 from Dixie for reliable spark . I am VERY happy with mine we bought the Sea Service with Brass Fixtures in the long and short models.., I prefer the short., They both come with a hangar fer yer belt., but the shorter pistol isnt as dangerous to run with., (If you are in a hurry palm yer weapon :o )

Military Heritage :o

:o HarborMaster :o

I am not Lost .,I am Exploring.

"If you give a man a fire, he will be warm for a night, if you set a man on fire, he will be warm for the rest of his life!"

There be several links on my ships page to many fine makers Texican Privateers Links Page

--------------

"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in one pretty well preserved piece without an even a kiss your hand, but to skid across the line broadside, thoroughly used up, worn out, smelling of powder, shouting ARRRG!!"

sig1.jpg

My two bits worth,

I own two Queen Anne's from Pedersoli and find them to be perfect for early 1700's accuracy. One of them does not fire all the time but that be due to the salt air and the only flint I could find at the time. I bought them already built but would like to build a kit which makes the pistol have a much more authentic appearance.

I received me new British heavy dragoon from Loyalist Arms this Thursday, and its just what I be needin for me maritime entrepreneurial

trade. Its size alone would make most lubbers turn tail & run.

http://www.loyalistarms.freeservers.com/

INDIGOJACK :D

Together we shall sail the sea, best friends we'll always be. But, if we should ever disagree, the hell with you, and hurray for me.

I looked through all the above links and there are some fine fire pieces to be had. I can just imagine carrying three braces of sea service pistols, you would never even be able to crawl over the bulwark.

Faucon

:D

Quicks the word and sharps the action

I've dealt with Dixie in the past and they have fine weapons. Perdosali is an excellent gun to buy, but, look around, you may fine better elsehwere. From those I know who have used Perdoslai, they have been very very pleased with them... Good luck......... Flint

As far as a well rounded date for a flint lock, I would think the early 1700s is a good range. However, I do not recall if all pistols at this time would still have been smooth bores.

Faucon

Actually most of the pistols up to the revolver era were smoothbores, unless they were duelling or match guns.

Guess they figured short range is short range.....

Sometimes bein' the biggest and most powerful is the LAST thing you wanna be.....

I looked through all the above links and there are some fine fire pieces to be had. I can just imagine carrying three braces of sea service pistols, you would never even be able to crawl over the bulwark.

Faucon

Quicks the word and sharps the action

Think of it as an exercise program. I'll admit, the doglock is a moose, but I loves matchin sizes at rendezvous.... :ph34r:

As far as a well rounded date for a flint lock, I would think the early 1700s is a good range.  However, I do not recall if all pistols at this time would still have been smooth bores.

Faucon

Actually most of the pistols up to the revolver era were smoothbores, unless they were duelling or match guns.

Guess they figured short range is short range.....

Dueling pistols were smooth-bored and highly accurate within their range.

• 1 month later...

Has anyone made or know anyone interested in making a protective pouch for a flintlock pistol. Just curious what other pirates arr storing thier weapon in?., I was thinking on the leather pouch well greased? My Military heritage sea service pistol is already starting to show signs of oxidation and rust., and I have polished it off and it now is becoming more regular., whats everyone use for so picking it up isnt a grease ball .,yet at the same time keeping it protected?

:( HarborMaster :(

"If you give a man a fire, he will be warm for a night, if you set a man on fire, he will be warm for the rest of his life!"

Well, we be just amite different'n most 'o the pirate types we run across, but....seein' as 'ow we do a lot 'o movin' about on deck, I prefer to shove my 'locks from the left to right, frizzen agin me belly, in my belt or sash, protected from abuse, but for heavy weather, a leather hood slips o'oer the 'lock....canna' do many baldrics an' such, they seem to inhibit sailin'......

I be forgeting the lad the free men of the Sea be connected with. But he has Sea service, French Boarding (with swing out bayonet) and doglocks for very reasonable prices. If ye email Evil Tiny here a the pub he can give you the contact info. I will ask as well so i can post the info for all me mates.

Scupper

"That's the navy for you. Rum in the scuppers today. Blood in the scuppers tomorrow."

Thrist is a shameless disease. So here's to a shameful cure!

"Loyalty, honesty and directness are traits I admire. Insecurity, snipes and disrespect I will not tolerate in the least."

Another question?., I have purchased a Duckfoot Dixie kit as of late. However it is a cap n ball (which I knew) not a flintlock. Is there a duckfoot kit out there in a flintlock version that can be had? In my search I have not been successful. I Just thought the extra gun with my kit would add to my fun., but I am guessing the cap n ball will have to do?

:huh: HarborMaster :huh:

Thanks to the lot of ya! My next post was to say I was lookin' fer a good early 18th century firin' (reproduction) Queen Anne.

You've pointed me in the right direction.

I'm always impressed with the knowledge and willingness to help in the Pub. A fine crew ya be!

What's the waiting period like? Is it the same as other firearms? I've never purchased a gun before. I've always shot my dad's or husband's.

Thanks!

Long Live the crew of the CrimsonPermanent Assurance!

Thanks to the lot of ya! My next post was to say I was lookin' fer a good early 18th century firin' (reproduction) Queen Anne.

You've pointed me in the right direction.

I'm always impressed with the knowledge and willingness to help in the Pub. A fine crew ya be!

What's the waiting period like? Is it the same as other firearms? I've never purchased a gun before. I've always shot my dad's or husband's.

Thanks!

Black powder weapons are generally classified as 'recreational', or 'primitive', and fly under most required gun laws.Usually no waiting period, or paperwork..... Mailed straight to my P.O. Box here in California.......(even my cannons!).. :)

GoF, how does "Track" catalogue compare to the Rifle Shoppe's catalogue? http://www.therifleshoppe.com/

Our good brother Bloody Davy had one of those, and it was well worth the money, but I've never seen one from TotW.

Blackjohn

My Home on the Web

The Pirate Brethren Gallery

Dreams are the glue that holds reality together.

BlackJohn

Actually, the link that I meant to post WAS the Rifle Shoppes!

Although TOTW has TONS of parts and stuff. I have ordered their new catalog and its on the way. When It comes in I will let you know how it compares.

Thanks for catching the slip up and posting the link!

(PS I am saving up for the handmortar! :lol: )

Come aboard my pirate re-enacting site

http://www.gentlemenoffortune.com/

Where you will find lots of information on building your authentic Pirate Impression!