New POTC Game (Formerly SeaDogs2)

I was so entralled with SeaDogs that I preordered the the new POTC (SeaDogs2) game...

Perhaps it was a mistake.

Although the graphics are great, the game itself is very buggy and prone to crashing.

In addition, I've found the documentation to be near to worthless as what the book tells you and how the game plays can be two different critters.

I'll be the first to admit that I'm not wise in the ways of RPG games but this game seems to have a greater than normal learning curve.

I keep checking the BethSoft site for patches but I guess they're afraid to admit there are so many bugs.

Anyone else played the game yet?

Fair Winds and Rich Plunder,

Long Steve

I was so entralled with SeaDogs that I preordered the the new POTC (SeaDogs2) game...

Perhaps it was a mistake.

Although the graphics are great, the game itself is very buggy and prone to crashing.

In addition, I've found the documentation to be near to worthless as what the book tells you and how the game plays can be two different critters.

I'll be the first to admit that I'm not wise in the ways of RPG games but this game seems to have a greater than normal learning curve.

I keep checking the BethSoft site for patches but I guess they're afraid to admit there are so many bugs.

Wanna hear an expert opinion on the matter?

PotC offers a solid RPG experience for those who are patient enough to play through the steep learning curve and put up with some stability issues. Gameplay takes place on land and at sea, and each requires persistence to master the controls. Dirty Disc Errors and random freezes occurred several times during extended play.

Taken from GamingWorld X

Read the article in its etirety here

banner.jpg

"The floggings will continue until morale improves!"

the "engine" can crap out on you at any given time and leave you "dead in the water".

This sounds like the game "Cutthroats" to me. It had the potential of de- throning the legendary "Pirates!", but flopped big time because of the same problems, which Eidos never managed to solve.

let the [..] customers do the beta testing.

"The pioneers get the arrows."

But despair not, relief is underways:

Firstly, the very promising Pirates Of The Burning Sea (IF they choose to not charge users on a monthly base) and

secondly, the third Sid Meier’s "Pirates!" rebirth.

banner.jpg

"The floggings will continue until morale improves!"

Well.... Maybe I was a little hasty... I've blown off about 2-3 hours this morning on POTC (the game).

I have noticed the game plays a lot slower that SeaDogs, even in the Arcade mode.

Also, the Gods of Video games must be with me as I haven't had the game crash all morning.

I've somewhat aquired a few skills but still have a long way to go. Hand to hand combat is much harder than in Seadogs and I have "given up the ghost" a number of times.

One big difference is that the ships now have bow guns. (This kinda puts the kabosh on some of my old manuvers...)

Another difference, is that you can't tell how many cannonballs you have left unless you open up the Hot Commands menu (Which is how you have to change the ammunition type also). I liked the old status bar under the mini-map in SeaDogs.

As I mentioned, the instruction book alludes to some commands I still can't find... Most importantly (to me), the "speed up" (Or old Turbo) command while you're at sea. The book says it is the "R" key but you can't find the command listed in the Options in the game menu.

The scroll bars in the Skills and Abilities section only barely work and you must "grab" the slider and more it up and down.

There are a few other miscellaneous pains in the patootie but maybe they'll be solved in time.

Yes, I'm enjoying the game very much. So far I'm most impressed with the sailing & the gorgeous water along with the towns -- they look wonderful! Much more authentic than the first game.

Some problems, but nothing that can't be modded or patched....(i hope)

newbannersigtar0db.gif

• 1 year later...

i have been playing the PotC game for the last week or so, and honistly im dissapointed with it. the storyline is compleatly off the subject, the characters are wrong and u only see the black pearl 2 times in the whole game.

if anyone else has played the game, id like to hear some other opinions :(

Seadogs2/PotC is a sad thing. As best I can figure, Akella, the maker, was busy creating a true heir to Seadogs. But then Disney, looking to make a PotC game without going through the hassle of actually MAKING one, buys their way into Seadogs2 through the game's publisher, BethSoft. So now Akella is ordered to abandon many of the plans they had for Seadogs2 and instead has to slap together a few token appearances of the Black Pearl. The result is a game that, while better than Seadogs1 in several respects, is also terribly incomplete. If you're a Seadogs fan, you'll be left wanting. And if you bought the game because of the PotC aspect, you're completely S.O.L.

Sounds like Disney is finally making some real PotC games, and Akella is putting the final touches on Age of Pirates, free form Disney or BethSoft, which should hopefully result in the true heir to Seadogs. Chances are PotC/Seadogs2 will be remembered as nothing more than a speedbump in the history of pirate games.

Just my two bits.

I AM BILGEMUNKY

• 6 years later...

Old game to speak about but if you get some mods to it can be one of the best pirate games made. ;) With some mods I have been able play it for years (of course not every

month or so but).

Mods have new ports, "real" Caribbean islands (from age of pirates I and II), new ships and storylines well as lots of new guys to play and not just boring Nathaniel Hawk.

Bugs are still there but they are quite rare....

Edited by Swashbuckler 1700

"I have not yet Begun To Fight!"
John Paul Jones

flag-christopher-condent.gif