Pirate's Terbacky

capnwilliam

Yes, I know: anything (and anyone) they wanted to! :ph34r:

But seriously, mates: during the Golden Age (I use the term in a broad sense: 1680 - 1730), did briar pipes exist? I know they had clay ones; reed-stemmed clay pipes came in around 1750, if I recall correctly.

Cigarettes didn't exist in this era. (Cigarettes are nasty, and BORING, anyway!)

How about cigars?

Does anyone have any evidence of pirates smoking "stronger stuff"?

:ph34r:

Capt. William

"The fight's not over while there's a shot in the locker!"

As for pipes, I'm sure the clay pipes were about...

As for Cigars;

When europeans first encountered Tobacco, the "Indians" were smoking cigars, some actually had pipes, conical clay tubes, straight with no bend...

I've seen 'em in person, in books, and on the 'net....

I meself enjoy a long reed stemmed pip as ye can see in me avitar.....

Truly,

D. Lasseter

Captain, The Lucy

Propria Virtute Audax --- In Hoc Signo Vinces

LasseterSignatureNew.gif

Ni Feidir An Dubh A Chur Ina Bhan Air

"If I whet my glittering sword, and mine hand take hold on judgment; I will render vengeance to mine enemies, and will reward them that hate me." Deuteronomy 32:41

Envy and its evil twin - It crept in bed with slander - Idiots they gave advice - But Sloth it gave no answer - Anger kills the human soul - With butter tales of Lust - While Pavlov's Dogs keep chewin' - On the legs they never trust... The Seven Deadly Sins

http://www.colonialnavy.org

Actually Dorian... Your avatar is somewhat small and is hard to make out the pipe. I myself like to use a churchwarden pipe with a curve in the stem. I haven't lit it since my daughter was born over three years ago. Fair Katey was a heavy smoker before that and since she was forced to give it up, and since I was never addicted, I simply stopped with her. Plus I really hate the idea of telling my little one that smoking is bad and she cannot do it, only to watch me smoke. You know.... mixed messages.... oh well..... The Capt.

Aye Capt. Flint,

True, the Avitar is small, the same pic, full sized is in the pyracy gallery... shoulda said that...

I understand the reasoning fer nay lighting yer pipe, I'm not an avid smoker, nor is my Lass, tho an occasional puff is a nice thing, especially at an reenactment, or other get together.... mixed well with rum.... :ph34r:

Truly,

D. Lasseter

Captain, The Lucy

LasseterSignatureNew.gif

"If I whet my glittering sword, and mine hand take hold on judgment; I will render vengeance to mine enemies, and will reward them that hate me." Deuteronomy 32:41

Envy and its evil twin - It crept in bed with slander - Idiots they gave advice - But Sloth it gave no answer - Anger kills the human soul - With butter tales of Lust - While Pavlov's Dogs keep chewin' - On the legs they never trust... The Seven Deadly Sins

Arr though I don’t recall where I be reading it, but I seem to remember reading somewhere about european peoples smoking all sorts of stuff (pre-tobacco), mugwort, mint leaves, herbs and the like.

I don't smoke as a habit, but I do enjoy an occasional cigar, or better yet, my clay pipe, which is a short one that would easily pass muster for an Elizabethan seaman impression.

:)

Capt. William

Aye Royaliste,

I pray ye don't have open barrels o' power out on deck...

Do ya not have yer charges in a lead lined box/chest, ready ta be handled by yer powder monkies???

Tis best ta have a pipe lookin' o'er th' bow anyway... Settin' on a cathead, iff'n ye can manage it.... dangelin' o'er th' side...

Or at th' base of the bow sprit...

Truly,

D. Lasseter

Captain, The Lucy

LasseterSignatureNew.gif

Aye Royaliste,

Well, mayhaps ye like ta be walkin thru terbacky spittle all over yer deck.... Not I!!! I'll not have my ship suffer that indignation...

Callin' me a merchant are ye? Hmmm..... <_<

A Gentleman has a pipe on occasion.... and, on occasion I have been called a Gentleman... :lol:

Truly,

D. Lasseter

Captain, The Lucy

LasseterSignatureNew.gif

Aye Royaliste,

Well said, well said...

I could nay see havin' a pipe whilst cleared fer action... tho iff'n the wind has fallen off durin' a run... wi' not else ta do...

So, yer swivels are nay set so's ye can't do dammage ta yer own crew, eh? Hmmmm... might be tyme ta rig some stops on tha' rail...

Truly,

D. Lasseter

Captain, The Lucy

LasseterSignatureNew.gif

:ph34r: Well, about the swivels. Rev war style, of'n the Philadelphia, and in this crazy world where ya can't protect yerself with modern weapons, a 1 1/4 bore swivel with a load of old brass screws makes a fella sleep a little easier ina strange port.... Them wot rob's a pyrate whilst he sleeps, don' a get too far away in their now sinking dink!RRRRRRRR :ph34r:

Aye Ladd!!

I likes th' way ye think!!!! :ph34r:

Can't 'ave modern weapons ta defend yerself? Who says nay?

Hmmm... backside fulla brass screws... :ph34r:

Ye could always rig yer boardin' nets a'fore ye retire fer th' eve...

Or made a sign tha' says; "this Vessel pritected by 6 pounders..."

'r somat like tha'.....

"I dunna call 911"?

Truly,

D. Lasseter

Captain, The Lucy

LasseterSignatureNew.gif

Hmmm...

Me thinks ye need ta start hidin' some wares 'tween decks... I dunna understand tha'.... wot's wrong wi' a nice lil 12 ga marine grade shotgun?

Nuthin' illegal wi' tha'.....

Truly,

D. Lasseter

Captain, The Lucy

LasseterSignatureNew.gif

Aye, Dorian, I doubt that an honest seaman - or even a pirate at heart masqueradin' as one - would have a problem with a modern shotgun aboard his vessel; leastways, not in any U.S. port.

I'd be wary about havin' a pistol aboard, though.

In any case, a shotgun's a better piece while docked, and a respectable lookin' sporting rifle should be legal also, and would be just the ticket while out to sea.

Capt. William

:huh: Actually,ye are a mite off there mate. Even a measley .22 rifle is a no no most countries, Life when you enter a foreign port by ship rather than gettin' off'n a plane! Sportsmen, as recognised by most other nations, fly to hunt, not sail on a slow ship. Ask yer favorite yachtie. :ph34r: man, this new format sucks... don't even wanna hang here any more!

Well there's an interesting item in the new 'Renaissance' magazine I got the other day. It talked about Shakespears day when clay pipes that were found from the time were holding traces of cocaine and marijuana. (Article on page 20) So maybe those pirates were really 'swishbuckling' around! :huh:

RumbaRue

**Two wrongs are only the beginning** :ph34r: