Pirate's Terbacky

capnwilliam

If ye must have tobacco, by all means smoke it downwind from me. :ph34r:

(For William: DO NOT chew the nasty stuff, for lips that touch that vile mess, will never touch mine. :huh: )

When the men chew and spit, there is a danger of the powder getting wet. The best way to solve this is to set up a place to smoke on the sterncastle, so the smoke will blow away with the wind. :huh:

Pyrate Queen

Jannet nyk Donnachie

The Pyrate Queen

Aye Lass,

Well, puttin a place designated fer smokin' on th' stern o' th' ship would be th' worst place..... for th' wind blows th' ship forward, thus alla th' smoke n' possibly sparks would be all o'er the deck!

Th' best place ta smoke would be th' BOW, up near th' beakshead...

Why da ye think the privy holes are up there? why they be called "th' Head"?

Truly,

D. Lasseter

Captain, The Lucy

Propria Virtute Audax --- In Hoc Signo Vinces

LasseterSignatureNew.gif

Ni Feidir An Dubh A Chur Ina Bhan Air

"If I whet my glittering sword, and mine hand take hold on judgment; I will render vengeance to mine enemies, and will reward them that hate me." Deuteronomy 32:41

Envy and its evil twin - It crept in bed with slander - Idiots they gave advice - But Sloth it gave no answer - Anger kills the human soul - With butter tales of Lust - While Pavlov's Dogs keep chewin' - On the legs they never trust... The Seven Deadly Sins

http://www.colonialnavy.org

Aye, Mate Dorian, me First Mate Pyrate Queen forgot the old expression "pissin' in the wind"!

But getting this discussion on track: did pirates in the golden age (1670's - 1720's, let's say) smoke cigars? The Artickles indicate that pipes with lids must have existed; does anyone have any documentation? What abourt shipboard use of chewing tobacco? Nasal snuff?

Capt. William

"The fight's not over while there's a shot in the locker!"

Would it be possible that, whilst docked in Jamaica, a Pirate might have enjoyed himself a spleef or two...or more? Or do pirates predate the use of such herbal indulgences?

I really have no idea how long the "crop" has been growing in Jamaica, but if anyone were going to use it, I would think Pirates would have been in the forefront of that trend...

:lol:

• 4 weeks later...

Arr sorry for straying back into this thread so long after it be looking to be dead and all. But there be a short and interesting little blurb of an article in the most recent issue of Renaissance Magazine, Vol. 8 #4, Issue #32 that talks about the excavation of some clay pipe fragments that date back to Shakespeare and what be smoked in them at that time...

Why, not dead at all, Stynky; merely restin' between draws! :lol:

I got some pipe cleaners last night and got me own Elizabethan clay unplugged and am going to have me a good smoke today, fer non-laborin' day.

I'LL be smokin' merely good Virginia tabac, I assure thee; but what did the article say they'd found in those excavated pipes?

:unsure:

Capt. William

Arrr now sorry I don’t have the article right in front of me, but I believe it mentioned finding something with hallucinogenic properties, new world cocaine, thought only to have made it’s way to Spain, hemp and tobacco.

:unsure:

• 2 weeks later...

A word about cigars...

Cigar smoking in America doesn't show up before about 1762 when Israel Putnam returned from Cuba. He brought Havana cigars and cuban tobacco with him and soon thereafter, cigar factories were established in the area surrounding Hartford, CT.

The Spanish on the other hand were smoking and manufacturing Cuban tobacco cigars as early as 1717. Seville, Spain is considered the birthplace of the modern cigar. Initially, Spain imported the raw materials from Cuba but in 1821 Spain allowed Cuba to manufacture cigars locally, thus the Cuban cigar was born. As a "thank you" gesture, the Cubans sent a box of their best cigars to the King of Spain each year.

In Britain and France, cigar smoking didn't really get popular until after the Peninsula War (1806-1812). The production of "segars" in Britain began around 1820.

Prior to these events, history and legend says the Columbus' crew found Cuban natives smoking a crude form of the modern cigar when he reached the New World in 1492. The cigar was made by wrapping maize around a filling of tobacco leaves.

So... any pirate sailing between the Caribbean and Spain after 1717 would have been exposed to tobacco and cigars. Hope this has been useful information.

(The Mystick Flame always has a goodly supply of fine segars for Captain and crew ;) )

Good info, Salty Dave!

Godstopper, 'twas said in the 60's that "God grows His own"! :D

Otherwise, your nickname represents an exercise in futility. It can't be done. He's got more firepower than a first-rate firing a broadside of 32 pounders! :D

Capt. William

• 1 month later...

What sort of PIPES would a Golden Age (1690 - 1730) pirate have had available? Were briars in use then, or was it strictly clays?

I have me a nice Elizabethean (sort-stemmed) clay that I'm adding to my pirate kit.

Capt. William

Dug this one out of the CD stack:

Jonathan Edwards

Shanty

Gonna sit down in the kitchen

And fix me something good to eat

And make my head a little high

And make this whole day complete

Cuz we gonna lay around the shanty, mama

And put a good buzz on

Well pass it to me baby

Pass it to me slow

We'll take time out to smile a little

Before we let it go

And put a good buzz on

Well there ain't nothin' to do

And there's always room for more

Fill it, light it, shut up

And close the door

And put a good buzz on

We gonna sit around the kitchen

Fix us somethin' good to eat

And make ourselves a little high

And make the whole day complete

And put a good buzz on

And put a good buzz on

Rumors of my death were right on the money.

• 1 month later...

A lot of information about pipes has been uncovered in the Plunder forum Pipes Link.

The following is from Tobacco Timeline

1564 or 1565: ENGLAND: Tobacco is introduced into England by Sir John Hawkins and/or his crew. Tobacco is used cheifly by sailors, including those employed by Sir Francis Drake, until the 1580s. (Chroniclers of the day took little note of the customs of sailors. Crews under the command of less famous captains than Hawkins would be given even less notice. But Spanish and Portuguese sailors spread the practice around the world--probably first to fellow sailors at port cities. There is no reason to suppose Hawkins' crew particularly advanced in comparison to those on other English ships. In sum, there could well have been a small underground of seafaring tobacco users in England for decades before officialdom took notice. Hawkins and his crew are usually given the credit, but in reality, take this with a grain of sea-salt.)

;)

• 2 weeks later...

I don't know about pipes, but marijuana and hashish have been known in the mibble east for thousands of years and were definitesly smoked by Barbary Corsairs. Hemp/Marijuana was probably one of the earliest crops in most colonies for it's textile value so I would expect that a buccanneer could likely get a pipeful of the stuff. Indian slaves were made to chew coca leaves to get them to work harder by at least the 1580's, and it was also a significant component in a lot of snuff.

"You have a woman's skin, m'lord! I'll wager that hides never been rubbed with salt and flayed off to make stockin's for a pirates best cabin boy!"

I don't know about pipes, but marijuana and hashish have been known in the mibble east for thousands of years and were definitesly smoked by Barbary Corsairs. Hemp/Marijuana was probably one of the earliest crops in most colonies for it's textile value so I would expect that a buccanneer could likely get a pipeful of the stuff. Indian slaves were made to chew coca leaves to get them to work harder by at least the 1580's, and it was also a significant component in a lot of snuff.

:ph34r::ph34r::ph34r::ph34r::ph34r::ph34r:

WELL..SPARK IT UP BABY!!!

victors%20spoils.jpg

YER ANKLES WILL LOOK LOVELY BEHIND YER EARS LASSIE! HAR! HAR! HAR!

That would be Qtr Master Bacchus usin my computer and forgettin' to log off my account... so I looked remotely intelligent thar for a minute!

Not that I wouldn't share me pipe wif you any day, big boy!!!

"You have a woman's skin, m'lord! I'll wager that hides never been rubbed with salt and flayed off to make stockin's for a pirates best cabin boy!"