Aging leather

It doesn't look aged to me, more like what I'd call a mistake, unevenly applied dye. Use 6-8 oz veg tan leather. You can buy precut belts or cut them from bellies. Dye it with Fiebings Professional Oil Dye and apply uing a small piece of sheepskin or a sponge. (you might want to wear rubber gloves) If you apply unevenly or even just let the leather soak it up unevenly which it will do, you will get that uneven effect.

Hawkyns

:D

Cannon add dignity to what otherwise would be merely an ugly brawl

I do what I do for my own reasons.

I do not require anyone to follow me.

I do not require society's approval for my actions or beliefs.

if I am to be judged, let me be judged in the pure light of history, not the harsh glare of modern trends.

rod_21.jpg

Aye, the leather doesn't appear ta be aged so much as the way the leather be stained and prepared.

In fact, the straps be looking similar to some xl - wide belts I be having me eye on in the Jr. – women’s section at Walmart.

Arr and thanks for that web link, a great collection of images they be.

There be several types o' agin', y'know.

The dye'll give ye the dark look, sure. Neatsfoot oil (a bit'll do'er), and saddle soap does wonders for the leather, too. Mellow shine, real deep.

But for the appearance of real age, ye needs "distress" (which I spect is what ye was seeing that lassie's poorly dyed crossbelts) which can be accomplshed by what, in most cases, would be considered "abuse." Soaking with salt water, then thorough cleaning with saddle soap and treating with neatsfoot will give you a nicely "aged" lookin' belt, though it do reduce the strength o' the leather.

Hope this helps. :)

That was badly died and then destressed with sandpaper. Not hard to do.

--------------

"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in one pretty well preserved piece without an even a kiss your hand, but to skid across the line broadside, thoroughly used up, worn out, smelling of powder, shouting ARRRG!!"

sig1.jpg

what she is wearing most definetly looks like leather

As everyone has said.... it is very obviously not aged......

For this look on any belt, just start with clean leather and apply the leather stain. Heres where you can control the look of it..... the less dye you apply, the light the color of the belt.. Apply a small amount of dye and then proceed to wipe it as much as possible in as wide an area as possible. This will spread the stain and lighten the color.. The more stain applied, the darker the look.... Also you most definetly do not need use sandpaper to distress the leather. As a matter of fact, I strongly reccomend that you do NOT do this. Also, if you apply a VERY LITTLE amount of water to your cloth, you can spread the stain even thinner and lighter

One way of quick aging the leather ( again I do not reccomend this ) Is to not stain it, but, first soak it in a water bath so as to staurate the leather and stain it unevenly. I have see this done by others and have seen mixed results. Some good and some bad. I have seena lot of amateurs do this and have had very poor results. I also suggest you get some scrap pieces and apply the dye to them in different forms so you can preview your results ahead of time. This will save you money in the long run and help you learn more and more about what you are doing. I have been working with leather for a long time now and have learned one very important lesson....... ASK QUESTIONS from everyone you can who works with leather. When at fairs and events, go to the leather crafters and ask short questions , I have never met one yet who will not answer you or help you.... Good luck........ if you really want, I would be happy to walk yo through naking your baldric or belt and give you whatever help in any stage you need it on.. just feel free to ask........ The Capt.

Tbe best way to age leather is by wearing it until its old B)

My stuff is nice and comfy now.., and trust me even in my new garb I look aged. B)

B) HarborMaster B)

B)

It does this ol' pirates heart good to know that aging is in such demand.,now I dont feel so bad "Wicked-Wicked-Grin"

I am not Lost .,I am Exploring.

"If you give a man a fire, he will be warm for a night, if you set a man on fire, he will be warm for the rest of his life!"

Yep, time, sweat and body oils are the best way to age leather. Repeated polishing/soaking with a good harness oil keeps the leather from drying out and makes it nice and supple over time. I like Weaver's darkening harness oil.

Hawkyns

B)

Cannon add dignity to what otherwise would be merely an ugly brawl

I do what I do for my own reasons.

I do not require anyone to follow me.

I do not require society's approval for my actions or beliefs.

if I am to be judged, let me be judged in the pure light of history, not the harsh glare of modern trends.

rod_21.jpg

Step one: Buy everything new.

Step two: Get lost at sea for a year or two on a deserted isle with the one pair of pants, socks, etc.

Step three: Get rescued. Perfectly aged costume. Great getaway. Lose weight. Learn to fish. This method is multifaceted! Aye.

Arrr.

image.jpeg.6e5f24495b9d06c08a6a4e051c2bcc99.jpeg

I just got a pair of boots at me local thrift store. I thinks they're fake leather, cos the soles be sayin' waterproof, an' the leather feels a little like those outdoor tablecloths wot are usually red an' white checks with the wooly stuff on the bottm. Still, $4. Can't be complainin'. Wot I'd like ta know, is 'how do I age em? Do all the aforementioned suggestions fer real leather work fer imitation?

~Ali

Step one: Buy everything new.

Step two: Get lost at sea for a year or two on a deserted isle with the one pair of pants, socks, etc.

Step three: Get rescued. Perfectly aged costume. Great getaway. Lose weight. Learn to fish. This method is multifaceted!

'ell that sounds like a perfect vacation ta me B)

well........maybe not number three .

B)

You know I just came up with the strangest idea at work; I was looking at my welding jacket and thought "looks kinda old", all blackened and essentially aged; I suppose if the leather is grainy enough, it could be made to look aged with charcoal or some such substitute (ie: soot, setting oneself on fire, etc.)

How to age leather...

1) Show leather things from it's childhood

2) Ask teens in presence of leather whether they know about leather's childhood things.

3) Leather will feel aged almost immediately.

"Yo Ho, all together

hoist the colours high

Heave Ho, theives and beggers

Never shall we die..."

blackwood.jpg

"I don't care who ye say you are lad, if ye say 'savvy' one more time, I'll bury this cutlass in that thick skull

of yers!"

-Captain John Young - PILF

The best way is to Wear It .., If your wearing it .,it will wear.., if your prematurely aging it .,and yer a true pirate youll wear it out quik. If you buy it new., and wear it alot (a real pirate) then it will begin to age soon.,Real pirates wear pirate garb regularly and therefore their garb becomes aged. If anyone would like to send me their garb I will probably go ahead and wear it fer ya till its worn., in which case I would oblige ya and returrn yer item after I've worn it out aye'

:rolleyes: HarborMaster :D

"If you give a man a fire, he will be warm for a night, if you set a man on fire, he will be warm for the rest of his life!"

If anyone would like to send me their garb I will probably go ahead and wear it fer ya till its worn., in which case I would oblige ya and returrn yer item after I've worn it out aye'

:rolleyes: HarborMaster :D

welll mate that would work

but yer gona look a wee bit uncomfortable in the 'wolfs' bodice.

:D

Damn!!! I didnt realize we were talking about a bodice., but If'n it twer fer me wench., I put it on after a few Tanduay Rums and let her "Ravish" me *Wicked-Wicked-Grin* and with any luck we would have aged it nicely *Smiling*

HAHAHH ARRRRRRRRRRRRRRRG !

Theres not enough Grog on your Island

HarborMaster