Jabber about "Pirates of the Caribbean"

Jamaica Rose

SPOILER WARNING read on at yer discretion...

>

>

>

>

>

>

Yeah, Jack the monkey is terrific! The whole damn movie is terrific! Just saw it a 2nd time with my wife (her 1st time). She loved it! And I loved it even MORE the second time around as I caught a bunch of key dialogue I missed the first time, now it all makes perfect sense to me.

I hope the sequel shows a good flashback to show how Jack came across the compass and the story of this island. My opinion after a second viewing is that the next one will pick up more or less immediately after this one, with Jack taking the BP back to Islad de la Muerta to scoop up the remaining non-cursed treasure...where my bet is he'll run into one angry monkey and one really angry Barbossa! :)

Now my only question is....just why is it they needed Turner blood specifically? Was Bootstrap the one who first partook of the gold?

newbannersigtar0db.gif

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

SPOILER WARNING read on at yer discretion...

>

>

>

>

>

>

Yeah, Jack the monkey is terrific! The whole damn movie is terrific! Just saw it a 2nd time with my wife (her 1st time). She loved it! And I loved it even MORE the second time around as I caught a bunch of key dialogue I missed the first time, now it all makes perfect sense to me.

I hope the sequel shows a good flashback to show how Jack came across the compass and the story of this island. My opinion after a second viewing is that the next one will pick up more or less immediately after this one, with Jack taking the BP back to Islad de la Muerta to scoop up the remaining non-cursed treasure...where my bet is he'll run into one angry monkey and one really angry Barbossa! :)

Now my only question is....just why is it they needed Turner blood specifically? Was Bootstrap the one who first partook of the gold?

newbannersigtar0db.gif

Guest Pirate Molly

The first two times I saw the film, I thought it be a giant plot hole. The third time, I figured that not only did all the medallions have to be returned, but everyone who was there when the cursed treasure was first disturbed, must be present when the curse was lifted. Since Bootstrap no longer existed, they needed a representative from his bloodline.

Barbossa asked the crew prior to sacrificing Elizabeth, something along the lines, "Who here hasn't spilled his blood for this treasure?" and then, "Whose blood needs spilling?" The crew shouts indicating Elizabeth. Its sort of vague, but maybe more explanation was edited out.

I just saw POTC again last night...What a movie!!! just as much fun the second time around.

OK...look I know I started the whole costume accuracy debate, but Y'know? Who gives a flying friggate what they wore? It worked.

We finally have a pirate film that the critics like (I still like CutThroat Island...So to blazes with the critics), which means that maybe the genre will be saved and we will see more pirate films.

Even a bad Pirate film is still a Pirate film...Am I right you lawn grabbers?

Fun is what we see movies for and this film had plenty.

As for those morons at slate, they have no idea what they are talking about. POTC was just right, and League of Extrodinary Gentleman also was two hours of fun.

DuCouer

Moria-

Great costume summery!!

I enjoyed the movie immesely and the costumes were

terrific, even if they covered a 20-40 year period,

as they never give a distinct year. If I had to guess I'd

say it was set in the late 1740s to early 1750s. As far as

the Redcoats, I believe they were supposed to be marines

and they would have had redcoats, though the bo'sin or who ever

he was supposed to be at the begining of the movie, the one

concerned with pirates, who later turns out to be one....his uniform

to me looked like a 1770s british naval uniform, but i could

be all awash here! All in all, a very cool movie, and Depp stole the show

as far as I was concerned, very amusing with the right amount of dash

and a bit of creepy scare. Looking forward to the next installment!

Cheers

Redhand

:D

Moria-

Great costume summery!!

I enjoyed the movie immesely and the costumes were

terrific, even if they covered a 20-40 year period,

as they never give a distinct year. If I had to guess I'd

say it was set in the late 1740s to early 1750s. As far as

the Redcoats, I believe they were supposed to be marines

and they would have had redcoats, though the bo'sin or who ever

he was supposed to be at the begining of the movie, the one

concerned with pirates, who later turns out to be one....his uniform

to me looked like a 1770s british naval uniform, but i could

be all awash here! All in all, a very cool movie, and Depp stole the show

as far as I was concerned, very amusing with the right amount of dash

and a bit of creepy scare. Looking forward to the next installment!

Cheers

Redhand

:D

All I can say is.. if there is another movie, and I pray to Neptune there is..please please please, (You ever hear a pirate say please??) please let Johnny Depp come back as Captain Jack Sparrow or I shall surely die! That was brilliant!!!! B)

"You have a woman's skin, m'lord! I'll wager that hides never been rubbed with salt and flayed off to make stockin's for a pirates best cabin boy!"

Pirate Molly wrote:

"not only did all the medallions have to be returned, but everyone who was there when the cursed treasure was first disturbed, must be present when the curse was lifted. Since Bootstrap no longer existed, they needed a representative from his bloodline."

Molly's right. They needed to return every piece of gold and spill some blood from each crewmember (as some kind of expiation or penance) to lift the curse. My gunner and I were disturbed by this, because the rest of the crew, as long as the curse lasted, were "undead" and not killable. Does that mean that Bootstrap (to whom the curse clearly applied) was chained to a cannon at the bottom of the sea alive (or at least undead) for all these years?

LOVED the movie. Want to see more. :rolleyes:

Black Cat, Captain of theMatriarch

Test everything. Hold fast to what is good. -Saint Paul's first letter to Thessalonika 5:21

• 3 weeks later...

I've seen POTC twice, two weekends in a row. It actually seemed shorter the second time, and I enjoyed it even more the 2nd time...

I've read complaints that it was too long. I don't agree. I thought it was too short.

I really hate being landlocked and wished I were near the Atlantic! Or the Pacific. Thinking about moving to New Orleans! On Pirate's Alley!

:lol:

It's funny, since students and teachers at the college where I teach/manage, know I'm a pirate, they refer to POTC as "my movie!" I always have to laugh at that! Several of them came up and told me how much they loved Johnny Depp's performance and that he was "perfect" as Captain Jack Sparrow.

I agree, t'was an artful performance. It be a fine think when ye can be handsome and filthy, the best pirate and the worst, foolish and clever as all hell.... all in the same movie!!

Johnny me lad- I hereby offically nominate ye fer an academy award!!!

Do I have any seconds?!!!!

-Claire "Poison Quill" Warren

Pyrate Mum of Tales of the Seven Seas

www.talesofthesevenseas.com

Ahoy Mates!

I saw Pirates of the Caribbean...TWICE!!! and all i can say is

WOW!!! That was by far one of the best pyrate flicks i've seen!

Johnny Depp is one AWESOME pyrate!!! Heck, I'd probably go

see it again if I could afford to spend so much money on movies. lol.

Fair winds to yeh'

Black Davy Irons

rumgone.gif

They needed to return every piece of gold and spill some blood from each crewmember (as some kind of expiation or penance) to lift the curse.

Indeed. That's why Jack slices his own hand just before tossing his own gold piece to Will...

Does that mean that Bootstrap (to whom the curse clearly applied) was chained to a cannon at the bottom of the sea alive (or at least undead) for all these years?

We talked about that too. Eventually being submerged would have softened Bootstrap's skin enough to slough it off and let him get free from his chains, whereupon he could've limped to an island. Unless he, being a pirate AND a good man, decided to be a twisted sort of martyr and hang around by his cannon forever.

Or maybe a shark ate him up? :)

Mad Kestrel

Privateer #9, IFoRP

Captain of the Thanos (Fairhaven, CRF)

But why is the rum gone? - Capt Jack Sparrow

I don't know how you pirates will feel about this one.. but I stumbled across a bootleg copy of the Pirates of the Caribbean script. Some guy apparently sneaked in a recording device then transcribed it... Pirating the Pirates, as it were.

POTC Bootleg Script

Hmmmm.... Me knows not if we should we keelhaul the bloody rogue, or welcome him as our brethren?!! :ph34r:

-Claire "Poison Quill" Warren

Pyrate Mum of Tales of the Seven Seas

www.talesofthesevenseas.com

I thought Depp was ever so perfect.. I would nominate the lad in a heartbeat..(even the fast ones when faced with him, and he's unlacing my.... well you get the idea...) Unfortunately the academy tends to be braindead, or simply have to libido, so it may be alas for our poor Johnny... but we can vote for him nonetheless! I 'm right behind ye!!

"You have a woman's skin, m'lord! I'll wager that hides never been rubbed with salt and flayed off to make stockin's for a pirates best cabin boy!"

I thought Depp was ever so perfect.. I would nominate the lad in a heartbeat...

Well, maybe he won't get a shot at the Oscars, but we can see that darling Johnny wins the GQ/Spike TV Man of the Year Award! You can vote as often as you like (I've already voted often enough to embarrass myself about it!)

http://www.spiketv.com/shows/gq/

Mad Kestrel

Privateer #9, IFoRP

Captain of the Thanos (Fairhaven, CRF)

But why is the rum gone? - Capt Jack Sparrow

:ph34r:

this wan an absolutly wonderfull movie , i loved it. it has the perfact mix of adventure, romance, little bit of horror, and the best, humor,(johnny depp thanks!) i've ever seen in a movie!!!!! i loved it1 it kept me interested every second!!!!!!

oh yeah and to those stupid movie critics saying it was to long... it wasnt long enough to me!!! and the thing about the british army wasting their time on fighting the dead immortal pirates,... well HELLO their not just gonna let the pirates kill them!!!!!!!! think before ya say anything!! just bacause two hearttrobes are in it doesnt mean its a bad movie!!!!!! :angry:

:P ok im done....

Jack : You’ll get another one.

Anamaria: I will.

Will: A better one.

Jack : A better one!

Will: That one. [points to the Interceptor]

Jack : What one? That one?! Aye!

:ph34r:

• 3 weeks later...

Cool this thread is.

I am a Johnny Depp fan, he and Val Kilmer (imho) are the best new actors to come along in awhile. By "new" I mean to rank with Nicholson an 'em.

I wonder if we could get another episode with Depp, Kilmer, Nicholson and Kurt Russell.

Depp stole every scene he was in, to be in the same scene with him and keep up is an effort above and beyond the call I am sure. He was exactly the same in Fear and Loathing, in fact I half expected Hunter S. Thompson to come cruising in from out of the picture several times. After seeing Don Juan deMarco I knew he would make the ultimate wacko pirate. I loved the docking scene at the beginning, it was all good from then on.

Gotta have this movie,

Capn' Hoglegg

Hello. I'm new here. Sorry to barge in like this...

My gunner and I were disturbed by this, because the rest of the crew, as long as the curse lasted, were "undead" and not killable. Does that mean that Bootstrap (to whom the curse clearly applied) was chained to a cannon at the bottom of the sea alive (or at least undead) for all these years?

I don't think Bootstrap was undead. For one thing, it's clearly said that they drowned him. You don't drown a corpse. I was wondering about that for a while, but then I realized that he probably didn't take a medallion from the chest, and therefore wasn't cursed. Instead, being the only living member of the crew, he stole a medallion from the others and sent it to his son, to have *them* stay cursed. That's what I thought, anyway. They may have needed his blood too because he was present when the crime was committed.

omg this was like one of the greatest movies I have ever seen!!! It is WAAAAAAAY up there with Star Wars, The Matrix and Lord of the Rings, and well thats pretty hard to do. The moment I saw Cap'n Jack floating into the harbor in the sinking boat going down as he got closer to the dock, I knew this would be a great movie. Perfect mix of action, adventure, humor and piracy!! :lol: I especially love the line: "You'd best start believin' in ghost stories Ms. Turner, you're in one!" omg that was such a great line to me. Depp made such a badass pirate, bloom was great like he was in LOTR and Kiera, well she's hot. :huh:

Also im new to this board so ahoy mateys!

Best regards,

The pirate with a lightsaber :unsure:

You will always remember today as the day you ALMOST caught Capn' Jack Sparrow!

Yep had to the car fixed the other day...so I had a few hours to kill...sooo what did I do..saw PotC again...for the Third time. Still no word when it will be out on DVD.

Let me just say..it was just as fun the third time mates...and yes this blows all of the summer movies away. Now my favorite movie right behing The LoTR's trilogy.

Can't wait for the sequel and the DVD of Pirates...I hope it has alot of behind the scenes stuff and extended scenes...etc.

I know I sound like some 15 year old fan boy but this movie was just fun. BTW I am thirty...something. So hah. We can be older and hip. :angry: