To build a boat...

Now that the building of my own little boat has begun in earnest, I thought I'd start a thread to document its progress and construction. Having sailed on Royaliste several times, I was hooked. I decided to start teaching myself to sail, and what better way than on my own small vessel? I hunted around for plans, armed only with a garage full of tools, a father who was willing to help, and a small list of requirements.

1) The boat must be able to fit (on its side) through a three-foot gate. This would allow backyard storage.

2) It should be gaff-rigged, and wooden. Both of these are aesthetic reasons. In addition, the gaff-rig would help me with understanding Royaliste.

3) It needs to hold two adults.

4) Last, it needs to not be prone to capsizing (a V-hull for choppy water).

I contacted a designer, who came back with a design for me. It had been published in Duckworks Magazine, but hasn't been built. We got the plans, and started on our way. There'll be pictures sometime when I get home, but so far the following has occured:

A lathe has been modified to accept 16' boards. This will allow us to turn the gaff, boom and mast.

An old rusty trailer has been located. It's in the process of being taken apart and de-rustified.

There's a three-ply laminated mast next to the lathe, ready to be turned.

Like I said, pictures forthcoming. Any tips, comments or thoughts would be appreciated and most welcome.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ahoy Desert Pyrate,

I too have sailed on the dear 'ole Royaliste and am also now hooked on sailing and the sea. I be plannin' to start taking sailing lessons here at the Port of Redwood City within' the next month or so as well. Here's something interesting if ye be lookin' to work on your technique while your barky be a buildin.'

http://www.sailboatstogo.com/ :)

They be offerin' kits for turning canoes, kayaks, and even inflatables (I currently have a 10' Intex inflatable and just sent away for plans to build me own sail rig). Not ocean sailing 'o course, but it be nice to be able to load me boat onto me back and head to the lagoon for a quick raid.

Exactly wot kind 'o boat you be building (as to how long and what kind 'o rig?) Be she armed? :ph34r:

Iron Jack

Iron Jack: Scourge 'o the Shores!

Some mornings, it just doesn't seem worth it to gnaw through the leather straps.

- Emo Phillips

Damfino!

Buccaneers Ball Info

Now THAT be a question! What's the position o' the New Knighted States Coasties on armin' o' vessels? I means, e'en a swivel gun could be enow to sink a thin-skinned playsure craft wi' a single round. So be there regs or do they winks at us?

Update onna boat: The mast has been rough-turned on the lathe, now comes fine-tuning and sanding down. After that, it's time to laminate the boom and the gaff for turning.

She be a 15' gaff-rigged vessel with about 92 square feet of sail area. Much like a catboat, her mast is stepped nearly at the bow, and there's no heads'l or jib present. As to her armament, I'm planning on getting a .53 caliber bronze swivel for a stern-chaser.

vector1.gif

There's the design from the plans. Plenty o' room abaft of the cockpit for a gun and a small trolling motor fer when I'm lazy-like. That, and Lake Berryessa is supposed to have nearly no place to launch a sailboat that has any wind. So a motor might be needed to get out to the middle. Hopefully pictures'll be up today....

Right now, her name stands at Peridinos, Greek for "circling about". It also is a euphemism for pirate, raider or rogue. The name is up in the air though, not sure what she'll end up being called.

Have ye plan for yer sails yet? Are you making yerself or having a professional sailmaker doing them? Making sails takes awhile, even if yer havin a professional makim.

Also, even ifin yer makin a ship fer yerself, modern safety precautions are still a must. Me own ship has a small cuddy for storing items such as a whistle/air horn and floatation devices.

Just me two dubloons worth.

~Black Hearted Pearl

The optimist expects the wind. The pessimist complains about the wind. The realist adjusts the sails.

As promised... pictures!

First is the old trailer we're rebuilding. It's on its side here.

trailer1.jpg

Now for some mast pictures:

First there were the three boards to laminate together.

lam1.jpg

They're strengthened by biscuits, as seen below.

biscuits.jpg

After being glued and laminated, the mast was clamped to dry.

clamps.jpg

Then, it was turned on the lathe. Here you can see the transition from square to round.

beforeafter.jpg

Finally, this is the current state of mast affairs.

finalcut.jpg

Most sails take about 4 weeks at least when done by a professional. That is something to keep in mind.

Have you looked into your local yacht club? They can be a great source of information and assistance, especially when you first launch. Being in New Mexico, it won't be what you would normally think of as a Yacht club.

We also go out when we know they are having a day of sailing. That way if we run into trouble, the safety boat is near by to help rescue.

~Black Hearted Pearl

The optimist expects the wind. The pessimist complains about the wind. The realist adjusts the sails.

HI, this is awsome :)

I love it, building your own ship!

Good luck with it, god that will be so satisfying to sail your own!

One day i hope to own one...but i'll have to win the jackpot in the lottery first :lol:

hero.jpg

Just saw your boat's profile view and, . . .

Catboats be da best kinda' boats, mate! Very maneuverable and shallow draft to boot!

Your mast looks a beaut too!

Catboats are not too common here on the Left Coast, but the last time I sailed on the Lady Wash in the Bay 'o St. Francis, there was an old guy in about a 14 footer which was beautifully finished in natural wood, . . . and he was just sailin' circles around our old barky. Looked like he was havin' a great time too! B)

Got some great pictures and I'd put 'em up if I could only figure out how to. B)

Now I be envious, mate! Me old inflatable be needin' a serious upgrade now, so don't sail 'er anywhere near the Bay 'o St. Francis or a highjackin' may be in order! B) B) B)B)

Iron Jack

Some mornings, it just doesn't seem worth it to gnaw through the leather straps.

- Emo Phillips

Damfino!

Buccaneers Ball Info

Folsom and Berryessa probably be the best bet for starters.

Not to be puttin' dangerous ideas in yer noggin,' but I dare say she could probably handle the South Bay close to shore in fine shape as well (we were out of Port 'o Redwood City when I had me encounter with the catboat sailer). As long as there isn't a big swell runnin' she'd probably do just fine.

Plus, I still be lookin' fer a good opportunity fer highjackin' B)

If'n ya want to see some fine catboats in action, check out:

http://www.catboats.net/sailboats.html

- Emo Phillips

Damfino!

Buccaneers Ball Info

Just started to read this subject, mate. You mentioned that ye were makin' one last we talked...just didn't know how far ye've gotten so far.

Lookin' nice. Let me know if'n ye's like a small barrel for 'er (fer water, rum or powder...or whatever). There's a brewer's supply store not to far from here...and they even make tiny 1 gallon kegs.

REDD.jpg

YARRR! The Oktober be silent now! Just call me "REDD!"

Ahoy again!

Today, the wood for the gaff and the boom was procured. Lamination is happening right now, and turning might start tomorrow night (after a day of glue curing). Once again, it's clear douglas fir, kiln-dried and hand-picked for straightness and clarity. Don't want to have any voids in the wood or any pitch pockets. Not only does it detract from the attractiveness of the finish product, it provides a point of failure.

Oh... I almost forgot... the mast is done... tapered at the end per the blueprints and sanded while turning to 400 grit. Smooth as glass... there'll be pictures shortly. Probably up after the gaff and boom get finished. I *just* finished laminating, so I'll give it tomorrow to dry and probably start turning again on Monday night.

• 3 weeks later...

:ph34r:

:ph34r::lol::lol:

well done mate !!! dang ............if'n ya keep this pace ye'll be done in no time. I think she will be able ta handle the bay no problem. keep post' them pictures.

It looks great!!!!!!! :ph34r::ph34r:

:ph34r:

Well done Pyrate! I must commend you I got the plans for my pram Pickup 6 months ago and haven't started construction yet. A ? mate how much epoxy you think ya gonna need this has been one of the key factor's in my delay. That and I gotta fix up my powerboat. (Sometimes winning that church raffle is a blessing and a curse!) ;)

THIS BE THE HITMAN WE GOIN QUIET

Just a quick thougth for the sails ye might wana consider poly sails ( egads I have said something untraditonal ;) ) They be in my plans for pickup as I can't afford anything else. Cost for they're white sails kit was $150 last I checked. Wanted Egyptian cotton but ain't got the dough.

THIS BE THE HITMAN WE GOIN QUIET