Hats

I was liking the ones Stynky mentioned that he bought for $5 sounded like a perfect place to start experimenting. I mean at that rate I can screw them up 3 times and still come out ahead of a single $15 hat but thanks anyway.

Pushing the limits means getting out of my comfort zone and giving more when I don't think I have any left.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Me shop (I be a manager, not the owner) at the Kansas City Renaissance Fesival carries several styles of leather hats. The one called the Cavelier has a brim the size of a cowboy hat. The one called the D'Artagnan has a much bigger brim and we have recently marketed it done up in a tricorn (cocked hat) as well. He don't keep his website up to date on styles and such, but if'n yer goin' to a faire where he's at, the price is better than Excalibur for equal quality. He just don't dress 'em up quite as much. I got mine put up on the left with several coloured osterige plumes, a wider hatband, a sterling scull and crossbones, and a feather fan. I got me some strange looks from the gentlemen (ahem) I was with at the time I bought the fan, but they all wanted to borrow it later in the day. He (me boss) starts the season in Arizona in February. He also does Michigan, Bristol, and North Carolina. It seems the list should be longer, but that's all I can think of other than me own faire.

Anyways, here be the web addy to his site.

http://www.sheepskinplus.com/sheepskinacce...aissance%20Garb

If'n ye want ta order somethin', I suggest e-mailin' him rather than just working from the site. That way, ye can get the exact look yer after.

I am Julius Aurelius, future ruler of the universe. Kneel quickly, for I have many feeble minds to overcome.

I just talked with my costumer, JoAnne at Costumes Period.

She just got agreat deal on a leather hide and is offering Black Leather Tricorn 'Pirate' hats like mine for only $150. These are superbly handcrafted, have a 'dome' crown (not a 'bucket'...ewww!) and a wire in the brim for shaping. The hat is excellent, and 'fits like a glove'.

Excellent quality, and $150 is a great price (normally about $175)

I have uploaded a couple of pics in the Pub Photo Album, Under the title "Nigel's Hat...etc" The pics arent great, but they give you a general idea what it looks like:

https://pyracy.com/gallery/details.php?image_id=177

https://pyracy.com/gallery/details.php?image_id=178

To contact Joanne, go to her website:

http://members.aol.com/dressmup/

Or email her:

DressMup@aol.com <DressMup@aol.com>

Be sure to tell her that you were referred by Nigel!

Sir Nigel - aka "Sir Freelancealot"; aka "Ace of Cads"; aka "JACKPOT!!" (cha-CHING!)

"Mojitos BAD!...Lesbians with free rum GOOD!!!"

If'n I got it figgered out right how ta do this, here be some pitures o' some right fine headgear.

D:\Pirates\Hats\Fancy Pirate Hat.jpg

This be a foine piece I picked up at the Minnesota Faire at a shop called The Tall Toad. As I recall, it was $195, but I could be mistaken.

D:\Pirates\Hats\Plain Pirate Hat.jpg

Now this be one o' the tricorns me boss at the Kansas City Faire be makin'. It's made from top grain leather and sheds water wonderfully. It belongs to me wife an' it ain't been dressed up, yet. He also has fancy chigago screws to put in 'em.

D:\Pirates\Hats\Red Pirate Hat.jpg

This be me most worn pirate hat. It's also out of our shop at Faire and this one is made from split grain (suede) that's a bit heavier that what one would find at Jo Anne's or some such place. I've added quite a bit to the original hat including the wide band, feather fan, and skull and crossbones pin.

D:\Pirates\Hats\Crown of Angmar.jpg

This last has nothing whatever to do with pirates, but I'm sure that someone has read the work of J. R. R. Tolkien. It is my own interpretation of the crown worn by the Witch King of Angmar. It's made entirely of 7-8 oz vegetable tanned cowhide. Turned out quite well, I think.

I am Julius Aurelius, future ruler of the universe. Kneel quickly, for I have many feeble minds to overcome.

I was liking the ones Stynky mentioned that he bought for $5 sounded like a perfect place to start experimenting.  I mean at that rate I can screw them up 3 times and still come out ahead of a single $15 hat but thanks anyway.

Haha El Pirata, I'm glad that you like the posts and found them useful!

Another great thing about trying out ideas on cheap hats, you're not so nervous about the pulling and stretching you need to do to work them into shape, I've actually ripped a couple hat blanks apart. Luckily it was just the brim and I was able to turn it into a derby. Surprisingly though, even the ones that don't quite come out looking the way ya might want can look acceptable when going for the grungy pirate look, flaws and tears can add a lot of character.

Now once you've made some hats, you'll have to share some pictures of them with us.

Wheeeeeeeeee my Captain Jack tricorne hat came in the mail yesterday!!!! (Courtesty of Excalibur Leather, bless them.)

It's the second hat I've gotten from them; the first one had to go back, seeing as my head was too dang big to fit in the smaller size. :huh: But the second package was waiting for me when I came home yesterday . . . it's quite dark (though I got the brown and not the black), and comes out so far to the sides that it makes me look rather as if I've got a large black banana on my head, or maybe a plantain. I look like a complete and utter dork in it. Needless to say, I absolutely adore it!!! :blink:

Hey, I've got a Sparrow-esque hat -- dorkiness doesn't bother me so much. *grins* I'll have to post pictures at some point, once I get the time to use me scanner .... :)

"Pirates ... were of that old breed of rover whose port lay always a little farther on, a little beyond the skyline ... if they lived riotously let it be urged in their favor that at least they lived."

~ John Masefield

Those who live by the sword, get shot instead.

captainjackisback.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

If you're talking about the factory tricorn, I can't attest to its quality, but I can say that I ordered the blank, looked at some directions Stinky reccomended in this very thread (I believe) and in about forty-five minutes I had shaped my hat into the exact form I wanted. So, I guess I would just get the blank.

"The time was when ships passing one another at sea backed their topsails and had a 'gam,' and on parting fired guns; but those good old days have gone. People have hardly time nowadays to speak even on the broad ocean, where news is news, and as for a salute of guns, they cannot afford the powder. There are no poetry-enshrined freighters on the sea now; it is a prosy life when we have no time to bid one another good morning."

- Capt. Joshua Slocum

Townsend has some good hats. They come often to several NWTA re-enactments. I'm rather impressed with a lot of their items.

If you have no ideas of making your own trimming, decorating of your cocked hat, then get the trimmed ones. The hand finished one that is $35 is best. The $15 ones are good but not fantastic.

Otherwise... go for the untrimmed blank wool felt. Then you can do whatever you want with it.

They are rather good quality. I have one & love it! But beware.. they are hot... so, you best wear a kerchief atop yer head lest you be sweating like a horse. :) But.. I was able to decorate mine with some green satin ribbon & black fuzzy feathers, make it look a little foppish... looks rather cool. I already had a green satin cockade I bought a couple years back when I was in Colonial Williamsburg. But these hats are fantastic to work with, as long as you are willing to be creative & do a little work. Requires a lot of hand sewing, WON'T be easy. I used the upholstry needles to sew the stuff on.

Huzzah!

Anastazia

~Master & Commander of the Resurrection

:huh:

Tempt Fate! an' toss 't all t' Hell!"

"I'm completely innocent of whatever crime I've committed."

The one, the only,... the infamous!