Hats

Stynky

Here's the web address for that hat company I was telling

you about. I've never ordered from them and am currenbtly

waiting for a price list or catalog info from them. They have many

different types & styles of hats including blanks. You might take

a look at their site. They're located in Pennsylvania. I'm not

sure of the quality of their hat, difficult to tell from the pics.

They also have a discount product page, which might be worth

checking out. www.hatcrafters.com

Cheers

Redhand

:ph34r:

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Aye, just when I thought I would have to keep making me own hat blanks to get what I be wanting, you send me off to that site. There be all manner of fine head covering. One could acquire just about any number hat and with a wee bit of steam and mangling one could do wonders!

Great site, thank you!

I’m going to have to rethink how I’ve been doing things.

I have a question about the tricorn.

what happens to it in the rain? do you hafta pour out the water or was there a hole/grommet built in at each corner to let water out?

Capt Weaver

"No man will be a sailor who has contrivance enough to get himself into a jail; for being in a ship is being in a jail, with the chance of being drowned. A man in jail has more room, better food, and commonly better company. "

Dr. Samuel Johnson

Capt Weaver's Pirate Perversions

Captain Weaver,

Taint never been out in the rain, I don't reckon. But, the way I make my hats, ye jest tip yer head and the rain would drain out. Anyhoo, a tricorne ain't what you need in the rain. Won't keep the drizzle off yer face.

If'n I can ever figure out how to download pics, I'll send you a fine one of me and Bob the Swab wearing the hats I made. (One Tricorne, One Cavalier)

I'll definitely try that other site, too, Redhand. Good work diggin' it up. Ahhh. A good hat site is like a treasure. Takes a long time a-diggin', but it's well worth it in the end.

Capt. WE Roberts

"I shall uphold my indignity with the utmost dignity befitting a person of my undignified station."

Aye Capt Weaver, the water does seem to collect up there easily enough… I know me tricorne hat be a regular catch basin for all sorts of things, rain, snow, leaves, but mostly just lint and dust. As for drainage, other than Captain Robert's suggestion of tipping one's head to the side, I don’t rightly know. Has anybody researched this point at all?

I know back in April, we got rained on quite a bit at the North Carolina Renaissance Faire, all of our hats got pretty wet and floppy. Wet felt not be happy felt.

Once home and the hats be dried out, I held them over a pot of boiling water to steam and re-stretched them over me hat forms. And with a little bit of the hot iron, the brims be right as rain so to speak.

For stiffening felt, I’ve got some stuff called Hydrolac. Not sure what it is exactly but, the idea is to mix a portion it with parts water and isopropyl rubbing alcohol and brush it onto one’s felt hat, maybe use a bit of a hot iron to infuse it into the wool felt fibers.

I was reading on the Najecki's Reproductions site, that they advise after brushing the dust and dirt out of one’s felt hat, painting it with a coat of shellac.

I’m actually not sure how well either of these work though until I give 'em a try.

I know that in past centuries, mercury was used in the making of felt hats, thus the term "Mad As A Hatter". As much I would like to be authentic, I think I’ll steer clear of using that though. What can I say, I use a sewing machine to…

B)

Hmmmm....

I dunno iffn' it helps stiffen th' hat, but a nice can o' campdry(sp) or yer favorite water proofing agent works wonders... B)

No more floppy wet hat....

Truly,

D. Lasseter

Captain, The Lucy

Propria Virtute Audax --- In Hoc Signo Vinces

LasseterSignatureNew.gif

Ni Feidir An Dubh A Chur Ina Bhan Air

"If I whet my glittering sword, and mine hand take hold on judgment; I will render vengeance to mine enemies, and will reward them that hate me." Deuteronomy 32:41

Envy and its evil twin - It crept in bed with slander - Idiots they gave advice - But Sloth it gave no answer - Anger kills the human soul - With butter tales of Lust - While Pavlov's Dogs keep chewin' - On the legs they never trust... The Seven Deadly Sins

http://www.colonialnavy.org

thank ye all for the tips and info.

:)

as for waterproofing hats,there was an old recipe that I came across that

was used by mountain men types for waterproofing just about anything.

they disolved parafin in paint spirits and dip or brush it on just about any porous surface.there is also a warning not to stand too close to the open flames wearing this stuff or you may become one with the fire.

B)

I've used it on canvas and leather with good results,it turns the material a nice darker shade as well.

I use straight melted bees wax for waterproofing suede leather shoe and boot soles.works well,although they are a little slippery on rock surfaces.

Capt Weaver

"No man will be a sailor who has contrivance enough to get himself into a jail; for being in a ship is being in a jail, with the chance of being drowned. A man in jail has more room, better food, and commonly better company. "

Dr. Samuel Johnson

Stynky-

I've got a friend who shelaqued (sp)

his hat he does Rev war British Marines

and it'd hard as hell now. I believe he used

Roy's (Najeckie) recipet to do it.

Roy's reproductions are quality repros

and he is very knowlegable when it comes

to 18th century clothing, armes and etc.

Cheers

Redhand

shelaqued his hat...and it'd hard as hell now

Ahoy Mister Red'and, but do you know if that hat be as comfortable to wear as it should? I mean hard as hell be sounding a bit on the extreme side to me...

heyya Stynky,

the old waterproffing recipe says to grate the parrafin fine and add it by the spoonful to the mineral spirits til no more will disolve.it takes a while to disolve it with shaking or stirring.

I've also used strraight melted parrafin on leaky tents.I just drip or brush it on where the leak is after I've dried the area first.

the beezwax,I just heat to melting and use a craft brush to brush it on-then I gently heat the area a little at a time with a candle flame,so the wax melts into the surface.

JUST WATCH OUT FOR OPEN FLAMES-I was surprised at how fast my leather shoe caught fire-but it puts out pretty fast too with just some gentle pressure on the flame.

havn't flame tested the parrafin/m.spirits stuff-hafta make me up a batch and try it out-just picked up an old canvas tent top (12'x12' $3 goodwill) that needs waterproofing.

Capt Weaver

Dr. Samuel Johnson

Hoorah, Captain Weaver!

Happy to see that other pirates are reaping the benefits of the Goodwill store! After all, a poor pirate is not a happy one!

As for waterproofing, I have no clue, but Captain Weaver's ideas seem pretty good. However, too much parafin could cause a white waxy build up. I would be careful when testing the flame retardancy of the mixture, though, Captain. Wouldn't want you to look even close to what your avatar looks like! Remember my explosive brownies!

Anyhow, I have discovered that some hats are very stiff when you first buy them, but seem to soften after wear. You might be able to take your hats to a professional hat shaper. I have heard that they spray something on your hat to make it stiffer after they shape it.

You can find hat shapers at most western boot outlets. I had mine shaped and formed for about $8. Of course, that was forming it back to its original cowboy hat shape. Since then, I've given up on it and had it "magically" transformed into a tricorne.

:blink:

Capt. WE Roberts

"I shall uphold my indignity with the utmost dignity befitting a person of my undignified station."

I haven't had too bad of time with me felt tricorn - us being up here in the soggy Northwest it has gotten wet so many times the feathers have wilted and shed. Just need a good drying out when I returned to port.

The two wool ones faired far better. But one doesn't want to look too store bought anyway, so a good dousing in water (or rum) adds character - been 18 years with the same hat in hide tides and low - high humidity and freezin' cold.

Of course, the rum helps make me look better in the hat. Could that have something to do with it?

-- Hurricane

http://piratesofthecoast.com/images/pyracy-logo1.jpg

• Captain of The Pyrates of the Coast
  • Author of "Memoirs of a Buccaneer: 30 Year Before the Mast" (Published in Fall 2011)
  • Scurrilous Rogue
  • Stirrer of Pots
  • Fomenter of Mutiny
  • Bon Vivant & Roustabout
  • Part-time Carnival Barker
  • Certified Ex-Wife Collector
  • Experienced Drinking Companion

"I was screwed. I readied my confession and the sobbing pleas not to tell my wife. But as I turned, no one was in the bed. The room was empty. The naked girl was gone, like magic."

"Memoirs of a Buccaneer: 30 Years Before the Mast" - Amazon.com

Ahoy mateys! B)

I be waitin fer me hat from lady MacSnoods in th' mail and were wonderin' when it gets here, how I can shape it into a tricorn? Like what be the procedures and all so's I don't mess it up? Like be there a trick to it er somethin'? I have absolutely NO experience with these hats at all. (kicks meself fer that one).....

Fair winds,

DEADLY DRUCILLA

B)B)B)B)B)B)

Pause My Friend, As You Pass By. -As You Are, So Once Was I. -As I Am, So Shall You Be. -Prepare You Then, To Follow Me.

(written on a gravestone)

Hoorah, Captain Weaver!

Happy to see that other pirates are reaping the benefits of the Goodwill store! After all, a poor pirate is not a happy one!

As for waterproofing, I have no clue, but Captain Weaver's ideas seem pretty good. However, too much parafin could cause a white waxy build up. I would be careful when testing the flame retardancy of the mixture, though, Captain. Wouldn't want you to look even close to what your avatar looks like! Remember my explosive brownies!

hehe

you are just too cute Capt Roberts.

:huh:

if ya want to see what I really looks like,I have a picture posted in the member's profiles section

Capt Weaver

Dr. Samuel Johnson

Hi again...my computer is rather slow and can sometimes be finicky, so I don't know if it's just me or the forum itself, but my last post from yesterday has disappeared, so I'll try again...

I'm interested in costume-making, and I'd love to know how to make hats. I see y'all talking about steaming hats and shaping them that way--how does one go about doing this? With a big pot of water? Is there any special equipment needed? Any advice or links would be much appreciated! Thank you!

cheers,

LA

Again, sorry if this is a double post. :D