Hats

First .... lets kep the hats in this section. There is no need for the administrator to start a new section. On that I am in agreement with you Stynky

Second.... When applying oil to leather. Specifically minks oil or other made for leather oil, I was speaking of how the oil will help soften the leather enough to make it easier to work with.

Lastly and for the final time... The hat I am refering to in Chivalry Sports.... renstore.com..... Is listed and described as a FELT hat that runs $29.95. It is listed as FELT and can be shaped or cut down to the brim size and shape that you may like. This is the hat I bought and used. It works well and is very easy to take care of. Each chivalry sports catalog has this hat on a different page with a description. It is brief as it is only a felt hat that you shape. I just thought thhat those of you looking for a hat might find this source helpful, and inexpensive.... The Capt.

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Woo-hoo! I like this hat section. Good job, Cap'n!

Aha! I finally found the hat you were referring to, Flint!

It's at

http://www.renstore.com

Just type FELT into the search box, and it will come up with a Cavalier hat. The pic is a guy wearing a black Cavalier hat with a bright yellow feather in the side. It's $29.95.

It looks like a decent hat, only the brim looks a little slouchy. Might be worth checking out; especially if you like to do up your own hat! (And, it's cheap. Chivalry Sports doesn't keelhaul you with the shipping, either--usually.)

I've heard great things about Chivalry Sports from several of my friends who frequent and/or work at the TN RenFest during its season.

Hats off,

:ph34r:

Capt. WE Roberts

"I shall uphold my indignity with the utmost dignity befitting a person of my undignified station."

glad to see this as a separate topic.

I LOVE HATS!!!

my favorite is the thrum cap.

does anyone know the origins of the thrummer and what time period(S) it was worn in.

I have one that I made-crotcheted it and then latchhooked the fibers on,after which I felted the inside to keep the fibers in place.

here is a link to a site that has a rough picture of one;

http://www.247e.info/webs/qualitycaps.co.u.../main/caps1.htm

Capt Weaver

"No man will be a sailor who has contrivance enough to get himself into a jail; for being in a ship is being in a jail, with the chance of being drowned. A man in jail has more room, better food, and commonly better company. "

Dr. Samuel Johnson

Capt Weaver's Pirate Perversions

thankee Capt.William,

I didn't realize that they went back that far.

I thought they were more 1600-1700-but I don't really have much solid historical data to support it.

there is a modern norwegian thrum cap that has the thrum fibers on the inside.

Capt Weaver

"No man will be a sailor who has contrivance enough to get himself into a jail; for being in a ship is being in a jail, with the chance of being drowned. A man in jail has more room, better food, and commonly better company. "

Dr. Samuel Johnson

Arr, here be the hat images I talked about sharing a couple weeks ago.

This Tricorne be the first hat I tried me hand at making. I started with a black felt hat blank from Jas. Townsend & Son for $17.50. Not that it shows, but I neglected much of me duties and boiled many a pot of water for steaming until I got the hang of shaping. The edging just be some upholstery trim I found at the fabric store.

stynkyTricorne07092003.jpg

This one be Pirate Molly's rounded crown Caviler style hat. Made it from a $13.00, green slouch hat blank from Blockade Runner. Added a few ostrich feathers from the local ostrich farm and a $9.00 Celtic pin from Jas. Townsend & Son to keep if from catching flame when firing her musket.

mollyCaviler07092003.jpg

This one be me daughter's, Alligator Addy. Hers be a flat crown Caviler style hat. This was also a $13.00 slouch hat blank from Blockade Runner. I think it be made of beaver felt, was very thick and hard to work with and form. The Celtic pin also be from Jas. Townsend & Son.

addyCaviler07092003.jpg

This 'ere flat crown, flat brim hat be me favorite and the one I wear the most. I spent $19.50 for the hat blank from Lady MacSnood's, it be a dark brown reddish color. I messed around with some ideas for edging but went instead with just a rough cut brim. I dyed some cloth and braided it together for the hat band. I got the clay pipe from a vender at North Carolina Renaissance Faire, $12.00. More feathers from the local Ostrich farm.

stynkyFlatBrim07092003.jpg

They might not be anything special but they were a lot of fun to make.

Jas. Towsend & Son

http://www.jastown.com/newhome.htm

Lady MacSnood

http://www.snoods.com/

Blockade Runner

http://www.blockaderunner.com/

great hats,Stynky!

I've been messing around with felt hats too-still havn't got the shaping thing down yet,but I will get the hang of it eventually.been practicing on some yucky old cowboy hats,just to try an learn the process before I mess up a good hat blank .

I do have a cavalier hat I pinned up with an old brooch-got it at a thrift store with all the feathers already attached.

:)

Capt Weaver

Dr. Samuel Johnson

Ooooh! I am thoroughly impressed with the hat makin', Stynky! I love all of those hats. It looked like quite a bit of thought, imagination and time went into making those.

I really like tricornes, and I like how you did up that hat blank. I might just get myself a blank and try makin' a tricorne for meself. Ditch me old ways of terrorizing cowboy hats.

Thanks for the pics and site links!

B)

Capt. WE Roberts

"I shall uphold my indignity with the utmost dignity befitting a person of my undignified station."

Jocko, in reference to yer post in the other topic where you be asking about leather hats. Now that I’ve seen the POTC movie, twice, I noticed that Jack Sparrow, I mean Captain Jack Sparrow be wearing a mighty fine leather tricorne hat. Well maybe it not be so fine, actually it be looking kind of hot and sweaty. But arrrr and blast if it not be authentic for the period, a leather tricorne be looking pretty damn cool if you ask me.

Arr Captain Weaver, thank you. But what a great find that one is, a Caviler style hat with feathers and all. Do you mind sharing a picture or two?

As for messing up a good hat blank, as long as you steer clear from the beaver felt blanks, I’m not sure how much messing up you can do. Some hat blanks are sort of dome shaped while others are blocked out into the basic hat shape and size already. Except for the beaver felt blanks, I’ve pretty much steamed, soaked, sprits, stretched and ironed them all several times over. I usually end up destroying whatever shape the blank had before I’m able to bend and form it to me will.

And thank you Captain Roberts. I still be interested in seeing some of those converted cowboy hats of yours.

The issue I’ve had with all the hat blanks I’ve tried so far is that the brims only be about 4 inches. They seem to work fine, but what I really want is to make a hat that’s got some brim to it, maybe 6-8+ inches.

Now that be where your cowboy hat idea comes in. Ever since I read your post where you mentioned using one, I’ve been thinking that a cowboy hat might be the way to go.

I’m also going to try your feather boa idea on a bicorne hat that I be working on for me Pirate Molly. I’ll post a picture of it once I get it finished.

Stynky:

If'n I can ever figure out how to post pics like you can, I'll be sure to include some. My cowboy hat-turned tricorne is in the "hospital" now, waiting for new trim and feathers. I saw some gorgeous gold lace trim the other day at Walmart. I'll have to go back and see if it's still there. It'll look pretty good...for a girly hat.

And as for the brim length...It's about 4.25"-4.5" for most "Cattleman" cowboy hats. Some others can be up to 5.5". However, if you're looking for 6-8", cowboy hats may not be your best bet. I did, however, find a Deluxe Buccaneer hat on a Halloween Costume site online. All I did was type in Deluxe Pirate Hat in the search engine, and I found it. It was red velour-velvet, and it looked pretty nice. No work needed. Another thought...a Zorro hat (wide brim, flat crown). Might make a decent Cavalier hat. It's better than paying $110 plus for a ready made hat that you could do better yourself!

Hats off to ye!

:ph34r:

Capt. WE Roberts

If you be looking for leather hats may I reccomend Excalibur Leather, probably retailed at you local renfest, assuradly online at

www.excaliburleather.com

I have owned a leather cavalier hat for nigh on to six years, and so far I've found nothing better for the rain or the sun.

The website shows these hats pinned up on one side, but that is optional and I would say if you actually plan to wear your hat in the sun Do Not Pin It Up. The lopsided sunburn on your face will hurt like hell. On the other hand it will give your mates something to laugh at.

Probably the best thing would be to find a fest where these guys are at, that way you can bargin about options, price and desires you have.

The Duchess

Captain Roberts, I actually understated the brim size of me felt blanks, most of them seem to run about 4-5 inches long in the brim as well. I had hoped that cowboy hats might have had a bit more brim to them though.

(sigh) sadBlinkAnim.gif

I thought about giving a felt Mexican style Sombrero hat a try, but my limited internet search hasn’t turned up anything that looks promising. All I’ve found so far are cheap straw costume restaurant type hats.

What's a pirate hat maker to do?

the modern top hat was first documented in 1845 when president polk wore one.

the beaver felt top hat dates back to around 1550.

it was taller and was slightly narrower at the top than at the base

Capt Weaver

Dr. Samuel Johnson

Stynky-

instead of a sombrero, you might want to try

a cavalier style or a Welsh style hat both are quite large

and have wide brims! The welsh styled hat almost looks like

a pilgrims hat. A Friend and I boughta couple to make a

Revolutionary War Tory unit Grenadier's hat, but never

finished making them. One of these days we'll finish them!!

Cheers

Redhand

:D

Stynky,

Thanks for the hat blank links!

I actually found a hat blank description in Blocade Runner that states that the hats have up to an 8" brim. That should be what you need. Of course, with a hat blank, you have to trim and trim and trim to get it even all the way around, and you may end up with less.

But, check it out anyway. It could be worth it. After all, it's located in beautiful Tennessee!! With me!! I mean...with me, matie! Arrgh!

Anyway, you could call the number to see if you could make a special request that they send you a hat blank with the widest possible brim. They may tack on a few bucks, but it couldn't hurt to ask. The most they could say is no.

And by the way, I wouldn't go so far as to try to find a sombrero. No matter how you shape it, it's still gonna look like a sombrero. And that brim...it's a doozy. Oh, and I once had a Cabalero(?) hat that looked identical to a Zorro hat. That might be what you want to look for. It has a flat crown and a wide flat brim. I believe I ordered it from a western catalog like Sheplers or Cheyenne Outfitters. I don't remember...but it was cheap.

Hats off!

B)

Capt. WE Roberts

Stynky-

I'll have to look around a bit for the URL of that hat

company I stumbles across with those particular hat styles.

They had a large selection & varying qualities of blanks.

I actually had the link but lost it..aaaarrrg!

gimme a little bit and I'll find it for ya.

redhand

B)

Captain Roberts, I've actually purchased 3 hat blanks from Blockade Runner, and the brims on all of them ranged from 3.5 to 5 inches. Now it might be that I be buying them online and I just took what I could get. The prices were cheap enough at the time, though it appears their prices have gone up a bit. Calling or visiting them in person might have been the better way to go.

How far away do you be from their warehouse?

In anycase, Jas. Towsend & Son and Lady MacSnood's be me favorites. Lady MacSnood's if I be wanting a color other than black.

Stynky:

3.5" brim?! Yikes! That's worse than a baseball cap!

I think I might just stick to discombobulating cowboy hats. Might try to find a Zorro hat, just in case. That 3.5" brim won't be enough to establish a good foundation for a "captain-y" pirate hat at all! After all, as many feathers as I gob on mine, that would be all you could see!

Good luck with the hat search, and I'll keep lookin!

:rolleyes:

Capt. WE Roberts

The 3.5 inch brim was a tan colored blank that came from Blockade Runner. I tried stretching it out, but it didn't want to budge. So, I turned it into a derby and sold it.

Jas. Townsend and Son and Lady McSnood's are great though, no complaints, great blanks.