A Hanging Offense

Just finished reading "A Hanging Offense: The Strange Affair of the Warship Somers" by Buckner F. Melton, Jr.

First impression - WOW. In short, it's the true story of a small American brig in the 1840s. It was on a cross-atlantic training cruise, manned almost entirely by boys ranging from 15 to 20ish. One of the boys, a midshipman (and son of the Secretary of War) allegedly plotted to take over the ship and go pirate - and was subsequently hanged (along with two of his conspirators) without trial. Apparently this was quite the national affair when it happened, but today I doubt the average person has ever heard of it.

I highly recommend this book to anyone who hasn't read it. Not only is it a gripping story, but it offers a lot to digest. No conclusive evidence of mutiny was ever found, but the circumstantial evidence seemed overwhelming. The Captain had no legal authority to execute his prisoners, but at the same time, had no way to keep them secure - and this made for an increasingly dangerous situation. I imagine the morality/legality of his actions are debated amonst maritime historians to this day.

If anyone's read it, I'd love to hear some opinions on this event.

I AM BILGEMUNKY

Redhand - The captain was named Mackenzie, and he penned a few books on naval history ("Popular Essays on Naval Subjects", "A Year in Spain".)

If you've heard of him through these works, then you're more learned than I :ph34r:

I AM BILGEMUNKY

• 4 weeks later...