Read any good books lately?

Indigojack

Just finished reading Nathaniel Philbrick's "In the Heart of the Sea" The Tragedy of the Whaleship Essex. This is the true story "Moby Dick" was based on. Highly recommend it. I guarentee when you've finish reading it, you'll be glad your a pyrate, and not a whaler. How about you, read any good books lately?

Together we shall sail the sea, best friends we'll always be. But, if we should ever disagree, the hell with you, and hurray for me.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I loved Heart of the Sea. Really really sad, but quite gripping. Had to read it for US History summer reading last year. Liked Moby Dick too. Read it while crewing on a research vessel for high school credit. :ph34r:

I've read more than a few good books lately. On the piratical end o' things, Pyrates, by George MacDonald Fraser is absolutely hysterical!!! Makes reference to just about every classic pirate movie or book ever. :ph34r: And a more serious YA book about two teenage girls turning pirate (Oh how I envy them!!!!! :ph34r: ) is Pirates! by Celia Rees and a modern day treasure hunting/vaguely pirate book that I'm currently reading is The Nautical Chart, by Arturo Perez Reverte. It's pretty good so far.

Victor Hugo's Toilers of the Sea isn't piratical at all, but it's sitting on my shelf waiting to be read. Oh, and Captain Blood and anything by Rafael Sabatini is a classic, however I didn't really like The Sea Hawk.

• 3 weeks later...

i regret to say i have not read that book but it is now on my list of things to read. i haven't recently read any pirate related material i just finished the vampire chronicles for about the millionth time...

"Sticks and stones may break my bones but whips and chains excite me, so throw me down and tie me up and show me that you like me"

"Evil is always possible. And goodness is eternally difficult."

"...but there is no rose without a thorn no pleasure that is not paid for without the prick of pain."

browsing through the new/used/collectible book stores nearby...sigh ....am so very happy to have them so very close...anyway...found a great cookbook...

"Pirate's Pantry"

it does have some interesting through unusual recipes...and historical/lore added in...

Got some great books on oriental pirates...european/oriental period weapons....etc.

Lady Cassandra Seahawke

Captain of SIREN'S RESURRECTION,

Her fleet JAGUAR'S SPIRIT, ROARING LION , SEA WITCH AND RED VIXEN

For she, her captains and their crews are....

...Amazon by Blood...

...... Warrior by Nature......

............Pirate by Trade............

If'n ye hear ta Trill ye sure to know tat yer end be near...

Recently I found a gem @ Borders: A History of Pirates, by Nigel Cawthorne. Small in size and price-just $7.99, but filled with details of day to day pyrate life.

ARRRRRGHH, I love this stuff!!!!!!

Together we shall sail the sea, best friends we'll always be. But, if we should ever disagree, the hell with you, and hurray for me.

Ooooohhhh, sounds good. Have to look into that one. But yeah, The Nautical Chart was excellent. Very unexpected ending. :D And lots of musings on the sea and navigation that I found interesting. Although I haven't read it yet, I was given The Pirate Hunter, by Richard Zacks, which is supposedly a biography of Captain Kidd, and sounds cool. Oh, and in the books that I have read and are not on my multi page list of books too read :D is Expedition Whydah. Very interesting book about the business of underwater excavation and also the legends and truths about Black Sam Bellamy. I thought the author was a bit self congratulatory though. But still worth reading :D

Oh yes, Treasure Island... but I think ye all 'ave heard o' that one. :D

And All Quiet on the Western Front. I have a lot of classic books I read that everyone should know to read... if I find anythin' new, I'll let ye know.

Those pirates of the female... gender should ALL pick up Bridget Jones' Diary. If you liked the movie, the book is even better! Be sure to get the sequel too (The Edge of Reason), it's a bloody riot! I love the British...

Captain Wolfy Wench

I have just discovered a great series of books by Author Dudley Pope.

While he is best known for the "Lord Ramage" series about the Napoleonic wars,

in the tradition of O'brien and C.S.Forester (Master and Commander, and Horatio Hornblower respectively), He has written a Quadrology(?) about a 17th century Buccaneer named Ned Yorke.

The first book is "Buccanner", the second is "Admiral", followed by "Galleon", and finally Corsair.

All take place in the Carribean, are chock full of Nautical and geographical detail, as well as the politcal

situation in Europe (The Rise and Fall of Cromwell and the Restoration) are entertainingly told. You are learning History, Geography, and sailing and not even knowing it.

The books are a little difficult to find, but Borders or Barnes and Noble should be able to order them, and they are only $10.00 apiece for about 350-400 pages of swashbuckling fun. I highly

recommend these books. Oh by the way...the series actually ends with 2 more books that continue the Yorke family line during WW II.

As mentioned they are a little difficult to find, but that what Treasure Hunting is all about...Good luck mates.

If your looking for pure history...David Cordingly "Under a Black Flag" And Angus Konstans "History of Pirates"

:P:o

Aye. Under The Black Flag an' The History o' pirates be great fer histry. Entertainin as well. :P

An thanks fer the suggestions in the fiction dept. I just got me scurvy paws on a gift certificate ta Barnes &Noble, so's I've been lookin' fer a way ta budget it. Too much ta read. Too little time :o

I believe a series of four is a tetralogy, which is apparently a word the producers of "aliens" had never heard before.

"The time was when ships passing one another at sea backed their topsails and had a 'gam,' and on parting fired guns; but those good old days have gone. People have hardly time nowadays to speak even on the broad ocean, where news is news, and as for a salute of guns, they cannot afford the powder. There are no poetry-enshrined freighters on the sea now; it is a prosy life when we have no time to bid one another good morning."

- Capt. Joshua Slocum

• 2 months later...

Is that Rediker's new book solely on piracy? If so, I perused it at the store, but passed on it only because it seemed to be somewhat of a rehash of his previous book, Between The Devil And The Deep Blue Sea, which was also excellent. I'm sure his new one is great, but my reading list is too full already!

I recently finished up A Pirate of Exquisite Mind which was terrific, and consequently bought Dampier's complete works from Ebay. I'm dying to begin reading them, but the books are currently defumigating. (They are about 100 years old and smelled like decades old cigarette smoke) :(

newbannersigtar0db.gif

Yes, exactly. I was thinking the same as you, that it was just a rehash, but if that be the case, this is the best rehash I've ever seen. I really like it.

Haha... I just finished reading Pirate of Exquisite Mind too! Wow. What a great read. That book was well worth the money. I'm glad you found a copy of Dampier on ebay. I was half tempted to do same, but instead I found an online version.

Blackjohn

My Home on the Web

The Pirate Brethren Gallery

Dreams are the glue that holds reality together.

If you liked bridget jone's diary you should read the ORIGINAL, Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austen, I was not too happy with Bridget Jones as Elizabeth Bennette !

She would never have acted so weak in the ways that Bridget Jones does.

Rant over !

On to what I am reading....

Speaks the Nightbird by Robert McCammon

It is about a witch trial in 1699 Carolina. I am just to chapter 12 out of 28. It is very good so far and seems to be very historically correct.

I will tell anyone who is interested how it goes :lol:

I am still working my way thru "Under The Black Flag" David Cordingly. I am only accomplishing about 10 pages a night. I am 2/3 finished then I can get into my next book. ;)

;) HarborMaster ;)

I am not Lost .,I am Exploring.

"If you give a man a fire, he will be warm for a night, if you set a man on fire, he will be warm for the rest of his life!"

Is that the online version at the Canadia site? I started reading it online, but found myself craving a hard copy version to peruse.

abebooks.com has several affordable editions if anyone is interested.

Yes, that's the one!

I'd love to have a copy, but my next book purchase is going to be a roleplaying game.

Blackjohn

My Home on the Web

The Pirate Brethren Gallery

Dreams are the glue that holds reality together.

Haven't gotten around ta readin' that one yet, I should, seein' as there's rumor that Kidd stashed some stuff on the north end o' the island I live on, but I'm about ta finish Francis Bryan's The Curse of Treasure Island. Tis a sequel to Treasure Island, written in the same style as the original. very very good.

• 2 weeks later...