What's "Bar Shot"?

Thadius Drake

I have read in Under the Black Flag, and I think Capt. Johnson's book on pirates mentions it as well, but I have not seen an actual description of it. My curiosity has got the better of me now and it's driving me up the wall. Can you guys let me know what the heck it is? I would be really grateful! :ph34r:

Drake

Bar shot was similar to chain shot in that it involves two cannon balls . With chain shot the balls are conected by a length of chain whereas bar shot is connected by a solid iron bar O-O both were used against the masts or rigging of an opposing ship the idea is that the shot could demast a ship or foul the rigging making it harder for the enemy to manouver. It was also usefull in sweeping the enemies deck of crew members cutting a fairly large swath ..

Lord above please send a dove with wings as sharp as razors , to cuts the throats of them there blokes what sells bad booze to sailors ..

" Illigitimiti non carborundum . "

Ever seen a really heavy dumbell? That's pretty much what bar shot looks like. A friend of mine has a couple of specimens in his living room. Then again, he also has a cannon in his backyard! :ph34r::ph34r::ph34r:

Capt. William

"The fight's not over while there's a shot in the locker!"

They also had a lovely piece of ordinance that

was designed to set the opposing ships rigging

and masts on fire, it was a piece of shot with an

iron spike driven through it and the whole thing

was wrapped in linen or the like and soaked in

coal oil or tar/pitch. When fired from the guns

it would strike the mast and set everything around

it ablaze...that was the theory any way. I'm not

sure how well it worked.

Redhand