Road Trippin' the Southeast

Bilgemunky

Every year my family takes a road/camp trip (not much actual camping, but the tent makes for a cheap hotel.) This year we're hitting the coast, starting around Virginia and working our way south to our final destination - Cumberland Island in Georgia.

Anyone have any suggested locations we should hit along this route? I know there's some piratey things on Ocracoke Island, and we might try hitting that if we can figure out the ferry schedule. The Dismal Swamp sounds intriguing, though I don't know if it's much to see. What else should we seek out?

We'll be travelling the week of July 14.

I AM BILGEMUNKY

If you be traveling south down the Virginia coast, you should stop off at the Jamestown fort settlement. Though I’m not sure what level of interest there be with this ‘ere pirate community, the excavated exhibits, replica fort and ships are a grand site to be seen. There be reenactors wandering the grounds and sometimes the shooting off of black powder matchlock weapons.

I know it all be 17th century and on the early side of what most consider the “Golden Age”, but aside from being the first permanent English colony in the new world, I believe they had some visits by English Privateers that would check in on them from time to time and see how the colony was doing.

Plus there's a campsite proximal to the actual archeological site and replica settlement.

http://www.historyisfun.org/index.html

http://www.historyisfun.org/jyf1/calendar.html

And if you be going farther south to North Carolina, you should stop by the Maritime Museum in Morehead City. Though I haven’t been, from what I understand they have artifacts that have been raised from Black Beard’s own ship, Queen Anne’s Revenge.

http://www.ah.dcr.state.nc.us/qar/default.htm

http://www.ah.dcr.state.nc.us/sections/mar...ime/default.htm

http://www.ah.dcr.state.nc.us/sections/mar...ckbeard/qar.htm

Oh and if you do a visit to the Dismal Swamp, let me know what it be like, with a name like that I just gotta visit.

Come to Tennessee! We don't have any seawater, but we have a pretty decent sized river. We also have Nashville shores, for those who like the sandy approach. Of course, don't forget what Tennessee is best known for...music!!!! Take a trip to downtown Nashville and visit 2nd Avenue! It's the best place if you're on a budget. None of the bars in that area make you pay cover charge, but some occasionally pass a hat for tips. Check out Mulligan's Irish Pub on 2nd Avenue. It's the best place for a good, cold glass of Guinness Stout and some awesome Irish music played by the Sportin' Paddy Band. They also have an incredible stuffed baked chicken and twice baked potatoes dish! Mmmm!

Also, don't forget to check out the goings on at TPAC (Tennessee Performing Arts Center) and the Gaylord Entertainment Center.

Have fun, and look for me!

:blink:

Capt. WE Roberts

"I shall uphold my indignity with the utmost dignity befitting a person of my undignified station."

Another must do, as my Capt. Flint has said in a previous post, is Colonial Williamsburg, Virginia. It was such an awesome destination...

Ah, the weapons are most impressive! You can purchase a ticket that will get you into Colonial WillamsburgHistoric area, Jamestown Settlement and (darn, I can't remember the third one...) in the Historic Triagle Ticket. Or, if you are feeling really up to a trip, a 7 day, 5 attraction pass includes Water World and Bush Gardens.

http://www.history.org/

And there is a Campground very near Williamsburg.

Katey O'T

Ahoy Bilgemunky!

I went to the Ocracoke area in May. You must go, or Blackbeard could get peeved.

Don't worry about the ferry. It runs almost constantly in the summer from Hatteras.

Try these links:

http://www.outerbanks.org/

http://www.roanokeisland.com/index.php?nam...nks&last=discRI

http://www.visitob.com/outerbanks/amusemen...ds/amus_004.htm

http://www.ncferry.org/

MOST OF ALL: Go to the Teaches' Hole Shop...

http://www.teachshole.com/index.htm

when (or if, I reckon)you get into the Ocracoke area, turn right off the main road at the gift shop with "Pirate" in the name (can't remember), and go through the Edward's of Ocracoke area around back of them. This shop and exhibit alone is worth the trip, not to mention the beautiful village, Silver Lake marina, lighthouse, laid-back atmosphere, and Howard's Pub. Definitely one of the greatest vacations of my life.

Fair Winds,

Captain Sage

Ocracoke is definitely on our "must do" list. Any idea about the ferry to Cedar Island? My map says "reservations recommended" but this could be tricky, since our road trips rarely stick to a time schedule (and since we're working our way south, heading back north via the outer banks to get back to the mainland would be a HUGE backtrack.)

I AM BILGEMUNKY

Cedar Island and Swan Quarter ferries are another matter, because those trips take over 2 hours each, and they cost $15 or more. So, with the long time, not as many trips, more people for fewer ships.... and that's why they recommend reservations. Last time I heard, you could reserve up to 30 days in advance.

I guess if you had reservations and got there a little late, they'd push one the unreserved cars off the front into the water to make room. :huh:

Check out that ferries link for more info. If that doesn't help, let me know. I can find a number or something here in my souvenirs.

Enjoy!

Captain Sage

Here's stuff I found for South Carolina:

There's some pirate-based stuff in Charleston, SC (where Stede Bonnet hanged), like Charleston's Pirates & Buccaneers: The War Against the Pirates, but I haven't tried it, so I can't give you a positive or negative review. Tours of Charleston (phone 800-854-1670) apparently competes with its "Pirates of Charleston" walking tour. In nearby Mount Pleasant, SC, you might try the Patriots Point Naval and Maritime Museum. Though probably a bit too far south, there's a "Pirate's Walk" in Savannah, Georgia. There ought to be somthing in Georgetown's historic district, much closer to Myrtle Beach, but there may be nothing.

For Myrtle Beach I found:

"Pirates of the Carolinas" located at Broadway at the Beach, Myrtle Beach, SC; phone (843) 918-8737. This is described: "Another new attraction, Pirates of the Carolinas promises fun, adventure, and mystery. There's an interactive dark ride featuring pirates, sea dogs, and a chance to win prizes. Right next door is a restaurant opened for lunch and dinner that serves up a smorgasbord of Good ole' American food. Located in the Carribean Village, this is something the whole family can enjoy. "

The actual Myrtle Beach post, from a while back, included a link for the "War Against the Pirates" thing in Charleston.

Black Cat, Captain of theMatriarch

Test everything. Hold fast to what is good. -Saint Paul's first letter to Thessalonika 5:21

Good stuff, Captain Cat!

I plan on taking the Pirate Walking Tour in Charleston next week. Having lived there awhile, I'll find out for certain if it compares to the other tours.

Check out the site at http://piratesofcharleston.com/ The guide Mike Brown also has a great book.

As for Pirates of the Carolinas at Myrtle Beach, I've been there several times. It's pretty cool, with an arcade and the interactive ride thing. The ride is like a small Pirates of the Caribbean where you can shoot targets for prizes. The gift shop is usually well-stocked for its size. As for the 'smorgasbord', that's a little Pizza Hut franchise inside. The food has been hit and miss in quality, but overall it's OK. Here's a coupon for anyone compliments of Captain Sage. ---- http://www.broadwayatthebeach.com/visitor/...ns/coupon28.htm

One of the things I liked best about my last visit to Broadway at the Beach was being able to look out at the workers refurbishing the pirate ship on top of the Key West Grill. The food and atmosphere there is great.

Cheers!

Captain Sage

Guest Pirate Molly

>>You can purchase a ticket that will get you into Colonial WillamsburgHistoric area, Jamestown Settlement and (darn, I can't remember the third one...)

Would that be Yorktown?

Here's an interesting note about Blackbeard's head and the Raliegh Tavern in Colonial Williamsburg.

After Blackbeard was decapitated by Lt. Maynard's crew, his head was hung out up at the junction of the James River and the Hampton River as a warning to potential pirates. It stayed there for many years. Eventually, it was removed and, according to multiple sources which are deemed reputable by those at Williamsburg, The skull was covered in silver and fashioned into a the base of a drinking vessel. This was in place for many years at the Raliegh Tavern in Colonial Williamsburg. The tavern still exists, but sadly, the drinking vessel disappeared.

However, I was browsing through an older issue of NQG not long ago and saw mention of an elder gentleman, who claimed that his grandfather had owned the skull and that it had traces of silver on it... this would be interesting to research, eh?!! (if anyone is interested, I'll look up the article)

So visit the Raleigh Tavern next time you're in Colonial Williamsburg and raise a tankard to one o' piracy's greatest rogues!!

(we visited Jamestown, Colonial Williams and Washington DC when we were out for the Blackbeard festival)

-Claire "Poison Quill" Warren

Pyrate Mum of Tales of the Seven Seas

www.talesofthesevenseas.com

OK here's the info on the NQG article.

In the Sept 2002 issue of NQG was an article titled "Reminices of Edward Rowe Snow" and in the article the author spoke of Snow having in his possesion a skull, covered in silver, that Snow claimed was Blackbeards. The drinking vessel portion had been removed and this was a silver coated skull.

The author had his doubts as to the authenticity of this claim, however it would seem to me that if the skull could be located, a lab test could be performed to determin the age of the materials and at least determin if it is in fact from the early to mid 1700's.

(gonna recopy this info over on the Captain Twill section too)

-Claire "Poison Quill" Warren

Pyrate Mum of Tales of the Seven Seas

www.talesofthesevenseas.com

• 4 weeks later...

The Pirate House in Savannah, Ga. This is THE origional pub where Robert Louis Stevenson set and listened to the tales of pirates that inspired his book, Treasure Island. Years ago there was a tunnel underneath that led to the ocean. Pirates would come ashore, find a local teenager, get him drunk till he passed out, carry him out to sea and he'd awaken the next day on the boat with no choice but to work as a pirate.

I didn't get to go in when I was last in Savannah (a year ago) because of "environmental cleanup" so call ahead. :ph34r:

I plan on taking the Pirate Walking Tour in Charleston next week. Having lived there awhile, I'll find out for certain if it compares to the other tours.

So what was your opinion of the Pirate Walk? We went on the other one, the Pirates of Charleston walk with Charleston Walks LLC. It was okay, but our guide didn't tell me anything I hadn't already read somewhere before. Still fun to walk around and talk about pyracy for an hour and a half! The really entertaining part was when my ten-year-old proudly announced to the 35 or so people walking with us that his mommy was a pirate captain, and he was a powder monkey on her ship! You can imagine the looks we got for the rest of the walk... :)

Mad Kestrel

Privateer #9, IFoRP

Captain of the Thanos (Fairhaven, CRF)

But why is the rum gone? - Capt Jack Sparrow

Argh, MK, 'tis a shame, but my plans to invade Charleston changed when I lost the desire to drive 5 hours in a day (2 1/2 from Myrtle Beach). There just would not be enough time to take everything in. So, 'twas a reschedule for this fall when we could put up in a local inn.

I did manage to visit Georgetown, which was closer. They have an annual Harborwalk Festival with a pirate invasion. Georgetown is a fine city that's plumb silly with colonial/ nautical/ piratical history and all that good stuff.

Captain Sage

PS- My 6yr old daughter once told a lady in a store that her Daddy was a pirate with his own pirate business.

Save your money eating at the Pirate House in Savannah. The food was good but the prices were too high (just ate there last week). It's a beautiful house and you must look in every nook and cranny at the cellars and stuff on the walls. They have some pages from the first edition Treasure Island. Captain Flint supposedly died upstairs and is said to haunt the Pirate House.

Black Pearl

"An apt and true reply was given to Alexander the Great by a pirate who had been seized. For when that king had asked the man what he meant by keeping hostile possession of the sea, he answered with bold pride. 'What thou meanest by seizing the whole earth; but because I do it with a petty ship, I am called a robber, whilst thou who dost it with a great fleet art styled emperor." Saint Augustine

If you want a satisfying piratical dining experience, try the Queen Anne's Revenge (www.qarevenge.com) in Charleston SC. It features a nice little museum along with some really terrific food.

Now if I can just convince them to have singing pirates every weekend... B)

Mad Kestrel

Privateer #9, IFoRP

Captain of the Thanos (Fairhaven, CRF)

But why is the rum gone? - Capt Jack Sparrow