Ye Pyrate artickles!

Dan Severn

Guest Angus MacVox

Eye hereby move that we adopt these cutthroat Artikles as they are sufficiently arcane and incomprehensible enough to allow for creative evasion.

Well me hearty lads, I can tell ye be men (only men would write such gibberish) now fer the 'ladies' , I jus' say, "aw the heck with it! Rules? We don' need no stinkin' rules! :D

I says' we jus' drop a fine lady and dangle her in fron' o' yer faces, and ye all turn to blubberin' jellyfish.

Pay? I get paid? I gotta give ye me goods? Not on yer life Mr.! Personall' y' I perfer to keep what I earn, an' ye ain't gettin' none of it! HA!

Beside's, ye gotta catch me first!

RumbaRue

**Nine out of ten men who have tried camels, prefer women**

:)

Ye pyrate articles be long and winded. But, If I actually read them like a proper gentleman should, than I would better understand what ye be sayin. I saw a mention in there about sex, so I took a peek and saw not a wink of it anywars. With that in mind, I be agreein to before said articles. Until somethin better comes along. Than perhaps we can have an all out war and blow somebodies bleedin boat out of the water... The Capt. aaarrggghhhh

Rules?! Well, bugger me for a cabin boy. Y'are makin' rather a brash assumption an' all, assumin' that yer general breed o' pyrates can read.

However, as some o' us is even literate t'th' point o' Melville* tucked in our bunks, (although old Herm hisself woudna' be able t' understand artickle 8 with th' aid o' fifty lawyers and a schoolmarm) I think for those swabbies that can fathom it, it works about as well as a cracked four-pounder in a typhoon.

*not hisself, but his writin'. Bunkin' with hisself would be rather disgustin', as he's been bone-butted dead fer some time now.

Anon,

Bos'n Arrow

• 2 weeks later...

These artycles seems to me to be overright slippery they are an not bein a sea lawyer myself an only a half literate Tar I think that I'll not be setting me mark to it .

Lord above please send a dove with wings as sharp as razors , to cuts the throats of them there blokes what sells bad booze to sailors ..

" Illigitimiti non carborundum . "

• 3 weeks later...

:huh:

Hell, I'LL sign the Artikles, Mates! Wot the 'ell, they are so mixed up as to not make any sense anyways, which is exactly what sea lawyers like mesel' WANT; that way, we can argue that they mean whatever we want them to mean!

But here be a serious questions about real pirate articles: why do you suppose that real pirates would have been willing to sign Articles, considering that seizure of same would make for such a damning prosecution exhibit against them at trial?

Cap'n William

"The fight's not over while there's a shot in the locker!"

:huh:

Hell, I'LL sign the Artikles, Mates! Wot the 'ell, they are so mixed up as to not make any sense anyways, which is exactly what sea lawyers like mesel' WANT; that way, we can argue that they mean whatever we want them to mean!

But here be a serious questions about real pirate articles: why do you suppose that real pirates would have been willing to sign Articles, considering that seizure of same would make for such a damning prosecution exhibit against them at trial?

Cap'n William

*Ah fer the life o' me I'll never understand ye wayward pirates, obviously yer goin' against the wind with yer unfurled sails!

*Not if'n they were followin' their lawyers advice ! Run away! Run away!

RumbaRue

**99 percent of lawyers give the rest a bad name** :D

:D

I belive there are at least two main reasons. I think one is like tattooing A.C.A.B. on your knuckles, sure it makes sure the cops beat the crap of you every time you get arrested. But it shows you´re not just full of wind. It shows you´re dead serious about it.

The other thing is that it makes sure that everybody fights if you are attacked by government loyals. If you are cought nobody can put the blame on the others since you all signed the articles. It is kind of an insurance that everyone will do their best.

As far as real pirate articles are concerned; there actually is a surviving copy at a maratime museum. I'm not sure wich one, I think it is in England. In one of the books I previously mentioned.... Under The Black Flag... there is a great deal of talk about what real articles contained. Amongst other things, there was a breakdown of what would happen to anyone if he broke any of the aricles. Such as deserting your post in battle or stealing someone elses share of any plunder or hiding plunder before it could be doled out etc.... There was also a breakdown of compensation if injury should occur in battle. It would specify as to how much one would get depending on what type of injury was sustained or what body part was blown off. Each part had a different amount. Even to the point of a right arm was worth a different amount than the left one. I'm sorry I do not mention the writer of this book. I don't have it in front of me and it is almost midnight, so I don't really feel like looking for it. I gave the title and if you search my previous post, the full name and writer are given. Hope this helps with your question..... Argghhhh The Capt.

Booga makes a good point about the utility of the articles (I confess I don't know what "A.C.A.B." means, but I get the point anyway!). The articles become both a carrot and a stick, a point of honor and a death warrant, to encourage you to fight harder, and not surrender.

I'm also reading UNDER THE BLACK FLAG. I don't have it in front of me, but the author's name is David Cordingly. It's a terrific book, especially for a pirate newbie like me!

Capt. William

"The fight's not over while there's a shot in the locker!"

Aye -- "Under the Black Flag" is a right proper good book on piracy.

But regarding the articles, I have read how the crew will sign them around the margins, in all directions, so as to make a circle about the articles themselves. Thus no one signature is first, or at the head of the list. This was to indicate they were all equal in responsibility for the piracies commited.

Blackheartedly yrs,

--Jamaica Rose

"It's not the length of the quill, but the penmanship that counts."

--Jamaica Rose

Editor of No Quarter Given - since 1993

http://www.noquartergiven.net/

"Bringing a little pirate history into everyone's life"

Find No Quarter Given

... on Facebook: facebook.com/noquartergiven

... and on Twitter: @NoQuarterGiven

I guess the circle of names made it a little harder for authorities to figure out who to hang first. But then again, articles or no articles, they'd probably dance the hempen jig if caught with others' booty aboard.

Coastie04

"They were all fine sailing days, but unfortunately they were ideal only for sailing in the wrong direction."

-Francis Brenton

She was bigger and faster when under full sail

With a gale on the beam and the seas o'er the rail

sml_gallery_27_597_266212.jpg

I confess I don't know what "A.C.A.B." means, but I get the point anyway!

A.C.A.B. means "All Coppers Are Bastards" it´s a Skinhead/Punk/Hooligan-thing. And quite honestly I think that most of the pirates would agree... ;)

aye,you'll hafta catch me on a day when my mind is at least haf outa the grog to get me to read past the first piece-I lost track an went for me tulwar,luckily my mate stopped me from slicin it ta bits...not sure ifn I put me mark on it or no

Capt Weaver

Capt Weaver

"No man will be a sailor who has contrivance enough to get himself into a jail; for being in a ship is being in a jail, with the chance of being drowned. A man in jail has more room, better food, and commonly better company. "

Dr. Samuel Johnson

Capt Weaver's Pirate Perversions