Purchasing a swival gun and a naval piece

Bully MacGraw

If you're looking for an authentic replica follow this link: http://www.specialtymile.com/southbendrepl...licas/page8.htm

I currently own a quarter scale 4 pounder in a naval carriage that was purchased from them almost 20 years ago, and yes it is fired regularly.

I also have a 100% acturate Brass barrelled Swivel Gun that is unfired. This was duplicated from the actual swivel gun used on the Lewis and Clark expedition. There were only seven of these made from the original and they are all numbered. The expedition did not have theirs recreated 100% acurate due to cost. This minor difference is the original had the lock marked as a Tower lock. Mine is the only one of the seven with the lock marked correctly. To check this out for accuracy you can visti the Lewis and Clark Museum and view the original.

I give no quarter, nor do I expect it.. :huh:

I should be picking up my nashorn mortar mid Oct. I'll post picks when I do.

Scupper

"That's the navy for you. Rum in the scuppers today. Blood in the scuppers tomorrow."

Thrist is a shameless disease. So here's to a shameful cure!

"Loyalty, honesty and directness are traits I admire. Insecurity, snipes and disrespect I will not tolerate in the least."

Just me .02 cents worth, but methinks South Bend be over-priced for wot they make, as 'stickin' to me guns', my carronades are every bit as 'period' as the South Bend versions on my neighbor and favorite target, the Hawaiian Chieftain,and just as loud. Nobody will hardly put their balls where there mouths are and state anything about their accuracy. We know from practical experience that we have less than two feet of windage at 1,000 yards or better in a rollin' sea. Now I'd love to have a ton of bronze guns, besides my swivel, but it really wouldn't be accurate, as most guns on both sides of the ocean averaged 'Iron' barrels. For sure here in the colonies, iron barrels were the rule, and bronze the exception. Naval bronze was a spendy commodity, and be it fasteners, rig parts, or cannon barrels, cost was an issue.

A while back, I was scouring the net and found a company that reproduced cannons out of Naval Bronze. I thought I had stuck them in my favorites for use later (you know *after * i win the lottery) but I can find it now (nor have I won the lottery).

Anyway....

Does anyone have a link to that company, or know of another that makes full scale Navy Bronze cannons?

Thanks

Come aboard my pirate re-enacting site

http://www.gentlemenoffortune.com/

Where you will find lots of information on building your authentic Pirate Impression!

I need to get me a good metal lathe...

I just finished "refurbishin" my second mini-cannon, another 3 incher... I knows fer a fact I could make some bigger cannons if'n I has the proper tools. :lol:

for both of these shots, I used about half the recommended powder for the bore size... and they still fired beautifully

CannonFireGif.GIF

LegoPirateCannon.GIF

Oh, and by the way... kids, don't try this at home... wrong amount of powder and ye'd be in a world o' hurt, not ta' mention the melted plastic...

Captain_Sigart.jpg

Captain of the Iron Lotus

It is the angle that holds the rope, not the size of the hole.

Oh nuts! 2 days ago I was lookin at some links on here somewheres an found a really sweet blunderbuss for around $700. well I forgot ta save to me favorites and now I have spent tha past hour tryin ta find it and NO LUCK! So if any body could point me in tha right direction it would be great.

and I promises ta save it this time.

Also I notice on the cannon sites they wants ya ta fill out a cannon purchase agreement, do the cannons fail regularly? or are they just bein extra safe ta cover their arse?

:rolleyes:

"They'll have to kill me before I die"

jollyroger.gif

First, I resell weapons, so if you need a blunderbuss, holler. As far as the 'cannon sites' question, almost no one will sell you a primitive weapon with any guarantee other than to resemble the product. Yes, it's all about liabilities, mate. There are video's of my cannon's and sidearms being fired, but you will only hear me claim they are for replica use, not firing..........Black powder is volatile, and you control the quantity and safety of use. That's some hard territory for someone else to be 'responsible' for :)