Purchasing a swival gun and a naval piece

Bully MacGraw

Will it is time to bight the bullet and get a swival gun. I am looking for one that would fit in the fist half of the 18th century. I also need a deck gun.

The Hawaian Chiftian will be moving to my dock in July. I am hoping to mount a small shore battery.

Is there a web site for gun makers.

Bully

Those destined to hang, shall not fear drowning

Those are nice, Royaliste, thanks for posting it--I haven't seen that site before.

I seem to recall these folks talking up their business on another forum quite a ways back, but I don't think they had the site ready at the time.

Bully--if you haven't already, you ought to take a look at Cannon-Mania.

Deacon, I've been trying to purchase two swivels from Cannon-mania, no good results, for over a year, and I know someone that now has lawyers calling them...Have you ever received a gun from them????

Nope, I've never done business with the guy.

Some of their larger working cannon come from a Canadian firm, I believe.

What do they say when you write to them?

First they wanted MY swivel yoke to cast before sending me anything, then they never answer back.....Most of what they advertised is available from others anyway, as you mentioned. Never reply, so......They advertise a 1/3 scale from the Philadelphia that matches mine, but I'm now considering a local foundry, and using mine for the slug in the mold..........On the other hand, aside from bronze, the foundry that cast my carronades has a few nice ones, probably available thru Dixie G.W.......Now thinkin' 'o usin' a 5/8 scale carronade as a swivel or a bow chaser.......

WOW that one looks EXACTLY like mine., the rings distance apart looks like it right on the money as well as the trunion., mine however is 1.75 at the same 30" over all. I got it years ago from a local castor "Quali-Cast" about 15 years ago., 80% stainless 20% nickel...., I do not know however what the original cannon was., do you know the history on this piece?..., Also I am trying to get a price on a castor in Cebu for 5 doops.

Probably from a lesser metal...? I'll first have to locate a castor and then prices on metal., any suggestions?., :lol:

HarborMaster

I am not Lost .,I am Exploring.

"If you give a man a fire, he will be warm for a night, if you set a man on fire, he will be warm for the rest of his life!"

This one is cast iron with a bore sleeve for accuracy. Fairly standard English swivel.. Should be available from Dixie, but if not, I'll start bein' a cannon distributor, as the foundry likes me vessel! :huh:

Royaliste, is it my imagination, or did they used to sell sleeved cannon at their own site?

This one is cast iron with a bore sleeve for accuracy. Fairly standard English swivel.. Should be available from Dixie, but if not, I'll start bein' a cannon distributor, as the foundry likes me vessel! :huh:

Royaliste, is it my imagination, or did they used to sell sleeved cannon at their own site?

Yup, Deacon, they still do :) ..HM, a few details...I've spent many a day and night in Cebu, 'tis a good idea but,...a few things 'ere..first, unbored castings are very expensive to drill, therefore 'tis why the trend in sleeved bronze, the sleeve inserted in the mold saves machining costs. secondly, you need really good quality 'Navay bronze', a particular alloy in the copper-tin-manganese mix, and 'Naval bronze' ain't cheep!..So, back to grey iron and sleeves....Any material used to make barrels should be scrutinized carefully, as well as the person casting, unless you never plan on firin' 'em...From my time of employment in the R.P., I found no foundry that I'd trust with a cannon barrel, as I had a tough time getting quality work done on non-explosive items..........

True., True., Getting work done there is difficult., I did however just get a really nice cage built for Capt.Hook (our blue an gold macaw) out of 7mm stainless rod. I had to physically buy and carry on a tricycle from Colon in Cebu to Bulacao the stainless as well as a sheet of 1/8 aluminum..,to the welder Myself......, its not like going to the fabrcator here in washington and they "Do it" ..., it was a BIG hassle but it turned out really well. Shopping there is not like getiing it here., no one there is in a hurry either which is also frustrating. :huh: ( However with the great links coming out of this forum I did get to see this which seems to be "Thee most bang for the buck" provided they are good. http://www.dixiegunworks.com/product_info....roducts_id=1674

and I will be purchasing a few for our sea wall. My little 30" stainless made it to Cebu 4/12/04 while I was there.,it took 58 days thru Forex shipping UNLIMITED WEIGHT they charge by the box size 13" X 13" X 38" . 65.00 !!!!! GRINNING :)

Your advice sounds good ., better to buy here.., however I am not really knowledgable on "Gray Iron" and sleeved..., the sleeved part I understand., Our Stainless Costed alot to drill years ago. But the gray iron itself will it hold up well to firing.,sleeving it also strengthens it yea?..., I just dont want to have a night mare one day when we are having fun at the sea wall doing the Boom Boom.., 650.00 is really hard to beat. and very affordable... The Naval Bronze is Awesome but out of my ballpark.

:huh: HarborMaster :huh:

"If you give a man a fire, he will be warm for a night, if you set a man on fire, he will be warm for the rest of his life!"

oops., double posted..,sorry

HarborMaster

For a one-time seawall application, I'd go with the 5/8 scale naval carronade...way kewl-lookin' compared to the swivel, about the same size overall, and a wee bit cheaper :) with the ring on the cascabel, ye will be more nautical lookin', for sure!!..The sleeves really don't add strength to the barrel, just accuracy. well cast metal is strong enough by itself....Quality for the frogskins be an issue here, mate.. Ye won't be shovin' a crapload 'o gunpowder in the bird cage, eh???

carronade1.jpg

...Or, when ye're harbor be finished, just hire me for security, my decks comepre- loaded!! :huh:

I been thinkin of getting one of the .77 harquabus barrels from therifleshoppe.com and stocking it with a tiller as a swivel or hailshot gun.

cheap option fer my smallish boat.

Z :huh:

Drop a kitten six feet, and she grins...

Drop an elephant six feet, and ya gots yerself a mess ta clean up....

Sometimes bein' the biggest and most powerful is the LAST thing you wanna be.....

Mad Ozymandias Zorg the Unsnottered

Yup, Deacon, they still do :) ..HM, a few details...I've spent many a day and night in Cebu, 'tis a good idea but,...a few things 'ere..first, unbored castings are very expensive to drill, therefore 'tis why the trend in sleeved bronze, the sleeve inserted in the mold saves machining costs. secondly, you need really good quality 'Navay bronze', a particular alloy in the copper-tin-manganese mix, and 'Naval bronze' ain't cheep!..So, back to grey iron and sleeves....Any material used to make barrels should be scrutinized carefully, as well as the person casting, unless you never plan on firin' 'em...From my time of employment in the R.P., I found no foundry that I'd trust with a cannon barrel, as I had a tough time getting quality work done on non-explosive items..........

Thanks Royliste. Last time I was at their site, I didn't see any mention of sleeves.

I did note that they were selling these only for decoration, and that they have the buyer sign an agreement to not only hold them harmless if they are used for any other purpose, but committing the buyer to indemnify them should any suits against them arise from such other uses.

No BP in the "Hooksters" Cage., What a mess :ph34r: the 5/8 scale naval carronade looks buffed., have you got the link to that? Yes you can protect my mini fort., the marina will be 157ft X 150 - 40 for the forward sea wall ., at 157 X 110 youd goll the Marina ., but fit and look good at a Filipino new years bash...., Plenty o Tanduay for the Captain :lol:

:lol: HarborMaster :ph34r:

The Royaliste .., Mabuhay and thank you sir !

I contacted Jack at HERN., I really appreciate your info on these things..,Wild cannons and Dixie were great sites but Hern has them beat. I have looked for such things many times., but typing cannon at google just doesnt get it !!! some of this stuff can infact be most dificult to find. He gave me a really great deal on two starting in August., they will be 2/3 scale 1841 6 pounders..., 43 inches to be exact. I am really excited and he seems easy to work with., :ph34r: Tuba :ph34r: and sitting around under a coconut tree and letting the day slide by? :ph34r: .., You are familiar more than most!!., how long were you there? Did the ship go with you., were you on another at that time?.I am just curiious but I know youve been a travelin man and a sailin man..., Did you ride the jeepney?., and one more thing..., they keep callin me Joe???LOL

Mabuhay

HarborMaster

Hmm, I've spent some of my most rewarding times doing heavylifts at sea in the Visayas, and building geothermal powerplants on top of volcanoes with what I've unloaded at sea. Was at one time our Co.'s superintendent of the Philippines, but....caught a bunch 'o shirts stealin' millions from the owners, blew the whistle on 'em, and you know the old story of 'people who live in glass houses', so........Now I build my stuff stateside once more......I prefer the Visayas to most anywhere in the world I've been...Were circumstances a little different, I'd still be in either Leyte, Cebu, Bohol, or...........never did the 'ugly American' thing...I went 'native', hung with my crews, (much against most expat standards), and learned the culture......Had third person stories of the Spanish conquest told me by great great grandfathers..Patay to the invaders!..................Tell Jack I said hi, and I need two more carronades soon!........Jeepney's, tricycles, carabao carts, bahnkas, I'll get there however!....Mahayong Gabii.........Doncha just luv how the local's'll pull your armhairs???

large15.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Mabuhay Royaliste., Yea listening to the old timers is where the stories come from..., that sounds cool. Sounds like youve been around the Islands alot., Myself I do love it there a tropical paradise really.

Here's a photo of the dive on Cebu

TRIP1023.jpg

and of our beach in Negros

TRIP1000.jpg

<_< HarborMaster :lol:

:lol: Ahh, one 'o me favorite pastimes, eatin' mangoes on the beach...Then I usually fall asleep, take a nap, and freak when the centipedes are driven outta the rocks by the heat!..Great shots, mate! Most excellent areas to dive, the 'Empire of Kulas'...About your new field piece..They ship without toucholes drilled, so you'll have to drill that on your own, Measure the depth of bore, transfer that measurement to the top of the barrel, and then before you drill, find a spot just rearward of your mark, and start to drill, as you need a slight angle to the hole, and if you start at your 'mark', then your hole may fall too far ahead of the powder charge....A little bit 'o 'rocket science', but worth it!...Had someone else inquirin' bout Naval guns, so I be thinkin' 'o putttin' a few together, 'field testin' 'em at sea, and then hittin' E-Bay with 'real ship's guns' <_< p.s. what's goin' on in the tat??..Cant' make it out, looks like spiderman fightin' an octopus!

• 1 month later...

Cleaning out the shop tonight Yee-Haw !., (right). Making room for the Hern Cannons., Thanks a bunch to the Royaliste for the Heads-Up on Hern Foundry. The people there are great and the cannons were more than I expected really great work. I did not choose as nautical a piece as I would have liked to., I went for size since I will be shipping these overseas I cant go to big., but bigger is better on a sea wall., I cant imagine a 24" gun doing my sea wall any justice.., The size of these in combination with the weight factor., made my choice for me.

I opted for the 2/3 scale 3" ordinance rifles at 340 lb's and 55 1/2 inches.

Mounted in a Hardwood and Steel.., Naval trundle with 10 X 3 cast iron wheels a stainless steel elevator wheel.,and lots of brass fictures including the trunnion caps should get them naval looking as much as they can be . The cannons should weigh out to about 700 lbs each finished on the wall.

I will snap a few photos soon enough., thanks everyone for the sound advice and tips to a newbie Harbormaster.., These babies will ROCK HARD! Now it's back to the fort eh?

___*Wicked-Wicked-Evil-Grin*___

;);) HarborMaster ;);)

Tropicocannons01.jpg