Flintlock rifles, muskets, and pistols

Ahoy, Redhand...

I generally work from selections of parts, such as those from 'Track of the Wolf', etc. They are not really "kits" as you would think of them. They include no instructions, and the parts must be hand finished from castings and hand fitted together. Don't be deceived by the pictures in the catalogs. They are quite a bit of work and not really for the inexperienced. I have sometimes assembled kits for folks also.

>>>>>>Cascabel

• Replies 163
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Cascabel-

yes I'm very familier with the "kits", Jim Chambers

style kits and such. These kits are definately for someone

with familiarity in putting together period long armes as well

as pistols. I would never attempt to put one of these together,

partly because of a distinct lack of experience in inletting

and etc, as well as no patience on my part-LOL!!

ever got the chance to work on a Kit Ravenshear "kit"

while he was producing them?

Cheers

Redhand

:ph34r:

Nope, never worked with Ravenshear's stuff, although I never heard anything bad about his kits. Most kits have some variation in completeness and quality, depending on who makes them. You most generally get what you pay for.....

>>>>>> Cascabel

You're right about the airlines, Cascabel. A few years back I saw the gate guard force a boy of about 8 years old to check a "pump action shotgun". The toy was about 18 inches long, bright red plastic, and translucent. And this was BEFORE 9-11!

Capt. William

"The fight's not over while there's a shot in the locker!"

I just ordered a catalog from Tennessee Valley Muzzleloading, which a living history reenactor strongly remommended to me. Does anyone on the list have any experience with their products?

Capt. William

Back to ye, Stynky....

It would be hard to give you a price for assembling a kit for you without seeing the kit. There is way too much variation in amounts of work from one kit to another. Most generally, if it is a commonly produced piece and is available as a completed gun, then you would come out better price-wise (not necessarily quality-wise) with the factory buit item.

Again, with guns as kits or factory built pieces, you get exactly what you pay for. (Repeat this 3 times EVERY day !!!!)

A cheap gun, especially a flintlock will give you nothing but frustration because of poor reliability. for anything worth having as a kit, you will be paying in the neighborhood of $200 or more, and as a complete gun, considerably more. There are VERY few low-end flintlocks that I would recommend. You can pretty much trust the guns from Pedersoli to be worth having, but I cannot say much for most other "ready to use" pieces.

I just received my catalog from Tennessee Valley Muzzloading. They have some very attractive items, mostly rifles (a pistol or two, but no muskets). Their prices are in the $750.00 - 850.00 range for a plain jane piece, and of course the extra pretties can run you hundreds more.

They also do have cheaper kits.

At this point I'm thinking of probably ordering a cheaper, ready-made rifle, maybe from Dixie Gun Works, for my first piece, and then maybe trying my hand with one of TVM's kits later on, as I become more familiar with the working of these critters.

Capt. William

Cap'n william-

One of my friends has a nice English fowler

from TVM, well made, nice lines, and shoots great.

I also have Caywood "Wilson" trade gun, which

is a fine firelock. Although their firelocks

have become a bit pricey lately, their quality

is still there. As Cascabel said, just about

anything from Pendersoli is trust worthy.

Cheers

Redhand

:huh:

I was also looking at the Navy Arms catalog. The few flintlock pieces they listed were near/as/more expensive as TVM's items!

Well, let's see what Dixie has to offer; their catalog is due in any day now.

Capt. William

:huh:

Takes a look at Middlesex Valley Trading. Our Quartermaster got 2 brace from him, and what fine pieces for a more than fair price. And what a bark they make!

Evil Tiny

I'm not really evil...oh wait...yes I am!

Discipline is on the severe side of harsh, and I likes it that way.

Mate Redhand,

You'd mentioned in a very early post that you had a .72 musket, .62 fowling piece, and a .62 pistol.

As those are mighty big pieces, I'm interested in what loads you shoot in them, and how severe recoil is.

Capt. William

Middlesex Village Trading does have some really nice stuff shown, and good prices. No rifles, that I could see listed, though: pistols and muskets. (A great looking naval cutlass for just $89!)

Capt. William

:ph34r::ph34r:

Just came into a small cache of arms and am offering them up for reasonable prices.

If interested please feel free to email me.

1 ea. Cap & Call Derringer 44. cal. ~ 8" overall length (Lincoln Assasin

Gun) ~ $200. Working Replica

1 ea. 38. cal Duck Foot (three barrels) Cap & Ball Pistol ~ $200.

1 ea. Flint Lock Pistol ~ 14" Overall length ~ Non-Firing Replica. $90.

1 ea. 44. cal. Cap & Ball Double Barrel Pistol ~ $250. Working Replica

1 ea. 50 cal. Flintlock 16" overall length ~ Cannecticut Valley Arms, Inc. Corsair Jager ~ Inter Continental Arms Inc. ~ $200. Working Model

1 ea. 50 cal. Cap & Ball Double Barrel Shotgun ~ William Moore & Co. ~ $275. Working Model

If interested email Grattidge@prodigy.net for images.

Lusty Winds my Friends,

Robin St Graves

Cap'n William-

sorry it took so long to get back to ye mate,

the 21st century was infringing on my 18th century!

As far as load go, and I assume you meant live rounds.

In my 2nd model Bess I use a regulation paper cartridge

(18th century British army regulation) Made with the correct

amount of powder and round ball...which off the top of my head

is either 110 grains or 120 grains of powder and a roundball....

I use the smaller of the 72 cal roundball available, and use the

paper cartridge for patching. That's if I'm shooting from a cartridge

box. If I'm shooting from my bag, then I don't even bother to patch.

In my 62 fowler & pistol I also use the smaller of the round ball

available for it (sorry, I can't remember what the gage of the ball is???)

in the fowler I use around 55-60 grains of 2F powder and i either patch

with some light cotten flannel or 100% silk, now there is a controversy

about silk, some say it leaves residue in your barrel, but I've never had any problem with that, I think it comes from people not using 100% silk.

I use the same round ball in my pistol as my fowler but back the charge

off to about 50 grains. You should also shoot your firelocks with different

charges to determine which works best for you, as each will respond differently. I usually adjust the charges by bumping them up by 5 grains each time until I find the correct charge.

As far as recoil goes, the fowler to me is no different than shooting

a 22 rifle, a little more recoil than that prehaps, but I think you

see what I'm getting at, just as long as you hold it snug against

your shoulder. The Bess is another matter, at 55-65 grains it's

no big deal, but bumping her up to a military charge is pretty

spectacular, after 15-20 rounds you'll know you've been out shooting,

my good friend and I had purple bruises on our shoulders after :D

but it wasn't that painful. I'd LOOOOVE to put together the traditional

Britisg load of buck and ball with 120 grains and see what happens

to a target.....ever catch the Boston Massacre episode on the Discovery channel where they fired live rounds at a defenseless casaba melon &

beef roast? WOW!!

Hope this helps

Cheers!

Redhand

:P

Thanks for the good info on rounds and loads, Redhand!

I've been out of town for a week due to family illness. Just got back last night, and was glad to see that my Track of the Wolf catalog had arrived in my absence. Still waiting for the one from Dixie.

I don't imagine too many ranges, even outdoor ones, allow black powder weapons, given the smoke problems. (?)

Capt. William

capnwilliam...... I cannot speak of what ranges allow in your area. The best thing to do is simply call them and ask. I know the ranges I have dealt with have all allowed black powder. Some were more strict than others, but, they all allowed it. Best o luck... The Capt.

My brother has got me started into blackpowder frontstuffers.(He's trying to work on a double barrel swivel breach(you fire one barrel, hit a lever, then rotate the second barrel around to fire the next shot). One of the best catalogs I've seen, and it's on the NQC merchants list is The Rifle Shoppe. The catalog is between $14-20 bucks, but it's worth the price. If they don't sell parts for a gun, it probably doesn't exist. Plus, they apparently make a lot of the parts Track of the Wolf sells. :ph34r::huh:

Fellow pirates,

Do you know where I can get a "golden"  era blunderbuss and pistol at? Any websites you pirates know of? Robin could you give me more info?

Rob, if you're looking for funtioning replicas, Loyalist Arms in Canada has some nice-looking blunderbusses. I can't speak to the quality of workmanship. Unfortunately, the site is very much a work in progress, and the only current pics of the blunderbusses are in their "virtual tour":

http://www.loyalistarms.freeservers.com/vi...ualtour-03.html

They also have Sea Service pistols which may be a tad late for Gold Age, but might "pass".

Also, if you look about in the Pyracy Pub Photo Album, Cascabel has an impressive-looking "Blunderbeast" in his toybox.

Cascabel: Perhaps you could say a bit about it if you see this?

After doing my homework, I've formally filed my birthday request with my husband- for a Pedersoli Queen Anne. (He got the Harper's Ferry for Father's Day!) I'm currently researching who has the best price. So far it looks like Cherrys does at $210 I saw that Loyaliste Arms has them at $198, but then cost of shipping from Canada to the US is $23. Anyone know of a Queen Anne within the USA for under $210?

s328a.jpg

-Claire "Poison Quill" Warren

Pyrate Mum of Tales of the Seven Seas

www.talesofthesevenseas.com

After doing my homework, I've formally filed my birthday request with my husband- for a Pedersoli Queen Anne.  (He got the Harper's Ferry for Father's Day!) I'm currently researching who has the best price. So far it looks like Cherrys does at $210  I saw that Loyaliste Arms has them at $198, but then cost of shipping from Canada to the US is $23.  Anyone know of a Queen Anne within the USA for under $210?

There is another problem ordering muzzleloaders from Canada. It seems to me Loyalist Arms used to spell it out more clearly, but I can't currently find it at the site. It is, however, alluded to in their U.S. ordering /shipping directions:

- Yes, we can ship economically to the US!!

- We can ship firearms via parcel post, express post, or air freight.

- Depending on wether the touch hole is drilled in a flintlock or drum is fully functional with a percussion firearm, or the number of firearms ordered,(weight), will determine the method of shipping. We can also ship the lock separately from the musket/pistol to expedite US customs clearance.

A) Air freight usually costs approximately $39.00 US per musket/rifle/pistol.

The customer would have to pick up the item at their airport and clear customs there. We supply all documentation, (when necessary). We recommend air freight for larger orders of several long guns, as it is usually more economical.

:ph34r: Parcel post generally charges $30.00 to $33.00 US per musket/rifle. Insurance is included on all shipments.

Hand guns usually run around $20.00 to $23.00 US.

C) Express post costs extra. Please inquire

What this means is they can ship a gun without the touchhole drilled directly to you with no problem. If you then want a functional gun, however, you have to drill the touchhole yourself and proof the gun or find someone to do it for you.

If you want them to do it , they (at least they used to) will gladly to it for an extra fee, but then it must be shipped air freight to an airport where you have to chase it down and deal with Customs.

The Cherry's price looks great to me. You can get an almost finished kit for less, but it's unlikely you'll beat that price by much for the finished gun.