Flintlock rifles, muskets, and pistols

Hey, Lucky, you just GOTTA get one! I was about 2 clicks away from ordering the Harper's Ferry, but Pyrate talked me into this one. Good thing, too, because it will fit quite nicely strapped to my right thigh! The Ferry might have been too long... I'm ony 5'4"!

I must say, a wee lady carryin' a BIG 'lock could be quite impressive to th' menfolk!

What I might do is to get the Ferry first, then the QA, so I can have whatever I want depending on how I feel.

Matter of fact, I saw a picture online of a painting (bloody gotta find it again, because I want it!) done with Anne Bonney, Mary Reade and Calico Jack Rackam all together. Now I don't know which of the lasses was which, but the one in the middle had one gun in her belt, and another in her hand.

:blink:

"Don't hate me because I'm beautiful. Hate me because I am robbing you, tossing you overboard, and stealing your ship!"

-the only thing more dangerous than her.. is her needle-

• Replies 163
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

DANG!

But, well, Quill, that's darn good advice! Therefore, I'm taking it to the Loveland Firing Range tonight... along with my other pistol that I've never fired... I'm not particularly fond of firing ranges... they make me a bit nervous.

I've got a list of items The Pyrate gave me that I'll have to get. I just called around town, and no one in Longmont carries black powder and related stuff. Will need to motor up to Loveland in a few to get supplies at a shop that specializes in flintlock type firearms... and, fortunately, there's a guy there at the firing range who's black powder savvy. He said he'd be happy to give me a tutorial and stand there with me for the first several firings, and show me how to clean it, muck it out, etc...

I took a firearms class about 5 years ago, but this is WAY different...

I must say, a wee lady carryin' a BIG 'lock could be quite impressive to th' menfolk!

Yes...it might make them step lightly... and back off a few feet!

I'm still thinkin' about getting the Harper's Ferry, too. Just because I'm that nuts... and my credit card balance was just paid off!

Wow! Small world, eh?

Moved here in July '99. Couldn't stand living in Denver one second longer... so I bought a house on 4-1/2 acres. Have a 180 degree view of the front range, Longs Peak seems like it's just across the pasture from me.

Photo taken from the front porch early one morning...

moonrise.jpg

I'm looking at Warren Moore's Weapons of the American Revolution...and Accoutrements.

It appears that the defining aspect of the true Queen Anne is the fact that the lock mechanism was integral to the breech block--it could not be removed. The stock ended at the breech. The back half of the" lock "plate" would be set into the wood, but the forward half was part of the breech.

Not all Queen Annes had turn-off barrels. Moore pictures an example with a ramrod under the barrel:

Pair of English flintlock pistols by James Freeman, circa 1710.

These pistols differ from the normal Queen Anne screw-barrel in that the barrel is fixed to the frame and a ramrod is carried underneath.

These pistols fired a charge of buckshot instead of the ball used in the more common screw-barrel type.  They were known as night pistols because of the fact that it was easier to hit an adversary at night with a charge of buckshot than with a single ball.  Length:  13 inches.

(page 18, specimen P-12)

OK... about 45 minutes at the firing range was ENOUGH. Something about those places really tweaks me......

But, the Queen Anne, she fires like a dream!

Quite the process... a little, no - a LOT more involved than "first the powder, then the ball"... but I think it's WAY TOO COOL!!!!!!!!!

And BOOM! Shot it 5 times... hit the target 4 times. Then fired my other pistol a few rounds.

And that's about all I can handle at the shooting gallery...

Firing the Queen Anne is MUCH more enjoyable outdoors than in a firing range. I just shot off 3 rounds out in the field, as a tribute to TLAP Day!

ARRRRRRRR!!!!!

I find that if I load just a wee tad more than 30 grains of powder, I get a beauty little "FFFWWWMMMPPP" sound that goes nicely with the "BOOM" !!!!! It's only a little more powder... Target practice on a big bag of popcorn... works nicely, and feeds the birds at the same time.

And the smell !!!!!!! And the smoke !!!!!!!!

OH! This is far better than loading hollow-points in a six-shooter!

I'm in LOVE !!!!!!!

:huh::huh::huh::huh::huh::huh::huh::huh::huh::huh::huh:

:ph34r:

Well, Rosalinda, I'm sorry to hear that shootin' a flintlock is so much fun: I've been trying to control myself from purchasin' one, and reading your e-missive is making it that much harder for me!

:ph34r:

HAPPY TALK LIKE A PIRATE DAY!

:huh::huh::huh:

Capt. William

"The fight's not over while there's a shot in the locker!"

I carry a King George black powder pistol as well as a black power long rifle. Test fired the pistol (with a string and the pistol mounted in a vise), and managed to blast apart a small bowling ball....would NOT want to be on the receiving end of this baby.

Whittled the stock of the pistol meself...so I'm quite proud of that one.

-Redd

REDD.jpg

YARRR! The Oktober be silent now! Just call me "REDD!"

Firing the Queen Anne is MUCH more enjoyable outdoors than in a firing range. I just shot of 3 rounds out in the field, as a tribute to TLAP Day!

ARRRRRRRR!!!!!

I find that if I load just a wee tad more than 30 grains of powder, I get a beauty little "FFFWWWMMMPPP" sound that goes nicely with the "BOOM" !!!!! It's only a little more powder... Target practice on a big bag of popcorn... works nicely, and feeds the birds at the same time.

And the smell !!!!!!! And the smoke !!!!!!!!

OH! This is far better than loading hollow-points in a six-shooter!

I'm in LOVE !!!!!!!

B)B)B)B)B)B)B)B)B)B)B)

B)

I am glad that ye are enjoyin yer new prize Lass as fer shooting muzzle loaders indoors I prefer the out of doors me own self . I likes to shoot upwind of all them modern smokeless rifles just to let em know which way the wind is blowing. B)

Lord above please send a dove with wings as sharp as razors , to cuts the throats of them there blokes what sells bad booze to sailors ..

" Illigitimiti non carborundum . "

Does anyone have any info on what a tower pistol is. ie. when does it date from and other than being very long, what are it's specs. I have an opportunity to get one and just wanted some more info. I already have a kentucky flint and am getting a queen ann kit. This chance at the tower is really good and I will more than likely get it. Just wanted to know if it is period or at least what period does it hail from... Flint

The reproduction "TOWER" pistols that you refer to vary immensely in quality, and must be evaluated on an individual basis. They are usually referred to as "TOWER" pistols by most people because of the lock markings. I have never determined if the variation in quality is due to different manufacturers of these or if it is a matter of when they were made, with the lower quality ones being built towards the end of the production runs, or possibly a combination of the two factors.

Most of them that I have examined have various glaring faults. Some problems being more serious than others. However, ALL can be made to function with some work. It is mostly whether or not you consider the amount of work to be worth the time or expense. All of them have bad geometry, which is a matter of internal lock variations having to do with the relationship of the tumbler to the sear, and also the angle at which the flint hits the steel. They also usually do not have properly balanced springs, which has to do with the strength of the frizzen spring in relation to the mainspring. There are also usually hardness issues with the frizzen and internal lock parts. I have also seen some where there is a gap between the lock and the side of the barrel large enough to allow powder to work it's way down behind the lock with potentially disastrous results if it were to ignite. They also benefit greatly from a bit of re-styling to improve their appearance. Again, all these things can be corrected and a decent pistol can be had, depending on how much work is needed.

I have been told that there are a few that have bad barrels, but I have not run across any. All that I have dealt with have had quality issues regarding the locks, which can vary considerably on the inside, while appearing quite similar externally. They also have had problems such as the lock to barrel fitment previously mentioned.

>>>>> Cascabel