Pictures of me long boat

Bully MacGraw

• 1 month later...
We were thinkin an 18' replica of the longboats used against the Gaspee. They're similar to the same one Captain Bligh was set adrift on by Mr. Christian.

Did anyone ever suggest a source for plans for a longboat such as this? I would love to build one. One of my kindred, Rufus Greene, was numbered among the actual Gaspee Raiders, and my great-something grandfather actually owned the sloop Fortune aboard which Rufus Greene was accosted and assaulted by the British commander of the Gaspee. The villain then proceeded to confiscate the Greenes' cargo of 12 hogsheads of rum...(yes, my folks were rumrunners... :rolleyes: ).

I would dearly love to build an accurate replica of a longboat, does anyone know of any commercially available plans that would fit the bill? :rolleyes:

"Now then, me bullies! Would you rather do the gallows dance, and hang in chains 'til the crows pluck your eyes from your rotten skulls? Or would you feel the roll of a stout ship beneath your feet again?"

---Captain William Kidd---

(1945)

For more information on the construction of these boats, Google "Frontier Folk" a web site for 18th century reenactors. THey have a forum called the boatwright shp. THere are discussions for Long boat plans

Ed

Those destined to hang, shall not fear drowning

For more information on the construction of these boats, Google "Frontier Folk" a web site for 18th century reenactors. THey have a forum called the boatwright shp. THere are discussions for Long boat plans

Ed

Aye, many thanks indeed, Bully! :rolleyes:

"Now then, me bullies! Would you rather do the gallows dance, and hang in chains 'til the crows pluck your eyes from your rotten skulls? Or would you feel the roll of a stout ship beneath your feet again?"

---Captain William Kidd---

(1945)

She will also be used by a budding 1745 Highland group

What for? To reenact the flight to Skye?

Actually, that might be fun. Everyone could get drunk and sing the Skye Boat Song whilst pulling at the oars.

"The time was when ships passing one another at sea backed their topsails and had a 'gam,' and on parting fired guns; but those good old days have gone. People have hardly time nowadays to speak even on the broad ocean, where news is news, and as for a salute of guns, they cannot afford the powder. There are no poetry-enshrined freighters on the sea now; it is a prosy life when we have no time to bid one another good morning."

- Capt. Joshua Slocum