Article: Sex in the Age of Sail

Concerning matelotage, a quick search turns this up from Exquemelin:

"When a man has finished his service (bond servitude,jmr) he seeks out a partner and they pool all they possess. They draw up a document, in some cases saying that the partner who lives longer shall have everything, in others that the survivor is bound to give part to the dead man'sfriends or to his wife, if he was married. Having made this arrangement, some go off marauding, others to hunt, and others to plant tobacco, as they think best." chapter 4.

Le Golif says that most buccaneers had matelots, and that they shared everything, including wives.

Someone (I think Masefield) said that this was a frequent arrangment among sailors, even in his own day. I am reminded of how Ishmael and Queequeg in Moby Dick pledge to be partners. Any homosexual subtext was, I am sure entirely between consenting adults.

I have the book "Sodomy and the Pirate tradition - English Sea Rovers in the seventeenth-century Caribbean" in my personal library.

I have read it and find that it is well written and presents an interesting academic discourse on the subject. I do know that for a very long time women were allowed to be aboard ships...I have some good documentation for that also. But, then they were excluded from the ships....On the other hand....since homosexuality was tolerated in many cultures for so many years ...especially in the caribbean area...it would only make sense that it occured during the age of piracy. Perhaps it is one reason that the governors of the area brought in women to the area...just a thought...

Lady Cassandra Seahawke

Captain of SIREN'S RESURRECTION,

Her fleet JAGUAR'S SPIRIT, ROARING LION , SEA WITCH AND RED VIXEN

For she, her captains and their crews are....

...Amazon by Blood...

...... Warrior by Nature......

............Pirate by Trade............

If'n ye hear ta Trill ye sure to know tat yer end be near...

OK here's the definition of Matelots from the Wordsworth Dictionary of Pirates:

"Matelots (buccaneer friends: Caribbean, Pacific, Atlantic, 17th century) Two men living together in a voluntary and permanent relationship. Matelot is an old French term for sailor, originally referring to men that ate together. The word can be translated as comrade, mate or buddy (as in , for example a scuba diver's 'buddy') The Relationship was known as matelotage(comradeship, buddyship)

Most buccaneer hunters and pirates at Tortuga and Hispanola lived with matelots. Similar relationships were found at Port Royal. Jamaica and other English Islands. James Michener protrays matelotage in his novel 'Caribbean'.

Matelots pooled their possessions, fought side by side in battle, and nursed each other when ill. Father Dutertre wrote that matelots formed a family, just like a man and wife. But matelots lived together without fussingor quarreling. Pierre Charlevoix, a lter missionary, also describes them as sharing their lives and all their goods.

According to Exquemelin, (it then quotes the post listed above and adds the following) ...However older men also became matelots, when, for instance, their previous matelot died. A wirtten areement was not always possible or needed. Without a contract, French settlers and their lawas treated matelots as partners.

As matelots prospered, they jointly owned land, indentured servants and slaves. Originally Du Tertre wrote they also shared women, , but this became less common in later years. When a man married, the two matelots divided their property evenly. The one moving out received half the value of their house and his buddy helped him build a new home and business"

-Claire "Poison Quill" Warren

Pyrate Mum of Tales of the Seven Seas

www.talesofthesevenseas.com

This thread put me in mind of an old SNL sketch titled The Adventures of Miles Cowperthwaite. I did a little search and found it.

Enjoy it! :huh:

The Adventures of Miles Cowperthwaite

Miles Cowperthwaite.....Michael Palin

First Mate Spunk.....Dan Aykroyd

Captain Ned.....John Belushi

Sailor # 1.....Garrett Morris

Sailor #2.....Tom Davis Sailor

#3.....Al Franken

Dr. Pierce.....Bill Murray

Mr. Tarvox.....Don Novello

Madeline Warrington.....Gilda Radner

Ruth Warrington.....Laraine Newman

[ open on graphic: "Family Classics" ]

Announcer: Tonight: "Family Classics" continues its second season, with Part II of the new Dickins novel Miles Cowperthwaite.

[ dissolve to copy of book resting on tabletop ] Miles Cowperthwaite, by Charles Dickins. As told to Robert Louis Stevenson and Rafael Salbatini. [ hand turns book to first page ]

Miles Cowperthwaite V/O: "The wretched birth, miserable childhood, agonizingly painful adolescence, and appallingly vile and degrading death of Miles Cowperthwaite.

[ turns page to Chapter Two ]

Chapter Two: 'I Am Nailed To The Hull'. "It having been determined by my benefactor that a term of service at sea would make a man, I accordingly left Pinckley Hall in the company of Captain Ned, and put out from Bristol aboard his ship The Raging Queen. Captain Ned, I learned from my shipmates, was a very manly, virile, manful person, and a firm believer in strict discipline, corporal punishment, and nude apartment wrestling. How truly strict he was, I learned on our first day out of port, when out First Mate called all hands on deck for an important announcement."

[ dissolve onto scenes aboard The Raging Queen ]

[ First Mate Spunk rings the deck bell ]

First Mate Spunk: Alright, please, everybody, please! Welcome aboard The Raging Queen! Now, of course, I can't possibly introduce everybody, so you're just going to have to wear your little name tags. And if that's the worst thing you'll wear on this voyage, you're lucky. Now, before I introduce Captain Ned, there's some quiche over here, some salad, and some banana bread in the bowl, and there should be a brie around, if someone hasn't eaten it. And now, here is our own Captain Ned!

[ Captain Ned steps up ] Captain Ned: Thank you, Mr. Spunk. Gentlemen, we have on board a young man whose name is Miles Cowperthwaite! And I have promised his guardian to teach him the man's life at sea! To show him man's ports, such as Key West and San Fransisco! I expect him to be treated manfully! Well, Miles, have you anything to say? Miles

Cowperthwaite: [ stands, cheerful ] Well.. I'm very grateful for this opportunity, Captain Ned! Up 'til now, my life has been the most degrading, pathetic, soul-destroying, humiliating, awful grovel.. Captain

Ned: [ interrupting ] That's enough, Miles.. [ Miles sits ] Now, men, I run a mans' ship. I will run it in a manful and masculine way! I will tolerate no men under my command who act in such a way so as to discredit their manhood and manliness! Do I make myself clear?

First Mate Spunk: Three cheers for Captain Ned! [ the men cheer ]

Miles Cowperthwaite V/O: "If there were any doubts as to Captain Ned's severity, they were quickly dispelled that very afternoon, when a scuffle broke out on deck."

[ Spunk approaches a Sailor tanning ] First Mate Spunk: That's my tanning spot! you! You're in my spot! That's my spot!

Sailor #1: You are daft! I've been here all morning. Now, run along, you are blocking my sun.

First Mate Spunk: Don't you give me any back-sass, you tan tease!

[ fight breaks out; Captain Ned intervenes ] Captain Ned: Is this how men act on a man's ship? Where is your manliness? Fighting on deck is a serious breach on my articles of strict discipline! I'm afraid the guilty party is in for a very severe punishment!

Sailor #1: Captain.. I did indeed take Mr. Spunk's spot. I'm ready to accept my punishment..

First Mate Spunk: Captain! I threw the first blow. If anyone is to be punished, let it be me. I ask only that whatever you do, please don't put me in a tight-fitting Lassie costume and make me eat from a monogrammed dog dish.

Sailor #2: [ entering ] Captain, I encouraged this fight - punish me! Make me wear nipple-pinching clothespins, sir!

Sailor #3: [ entering ] Me, Captain! Punish me! Captain Ned: Stop! I've heard enough! Your manly admission of guilt is most manful. However, as your Captain, it is I who must bear the full masculine responsibility! And therefore, I will be punished. Spunk! Take me alone! I want a boiling oil rub..

[ Spunk drags Captain below decks for his punishment ]

Miles Cowperthwaite V/O: "Having had no seafaring experience, I was surprised at how different the life of a sailor was from what I had imagined. Our day began at dawn, where, after a hearty breakfast, we had punishment 'til lunchtime. After lunch, there was more punishment 'til dinner. After dinner, we would pull up anchor and sail for an hour, then drop anchor again for some verbal humiliation, followed by evening punishment. I imagine that the crew is quite used to it, for in all my rounds with the ship surgeon, Dr. Pierce, I never once heard a man complain."

[ Miles follows Dr. Pierce during one of his rounds ] Miles Cowperthwaite: Sir? I was thinking, wouldn't we make better progress if we was under sail 14 hours a day, and had punishment only two hours a day, instead of the other way 'round?

Dr. Pierce: Miles, my boy, you have much to learn. Without strict discipline, we'd have mutiny on this ship.

Miles Cowperthwaite: Oh.

Dr. Pierce: [ examines his patient's knee ] Let's see. Ooh.. I don't like the looks of that leg, Mr. Tarvox. I'm afraid we'll have to take it off. Mr.

Tarvox: Really?

Dr. Pierce: Yes, I'm afraid so. And probably the arm, as well.

Miles Cowperthwaite: [ confused ] The arm?! Why the arm, Doctor?

Dr. Pierce: Well, to get the leg. Look. It's rather in the way, see? [ indicates Tarvox's arm resting on his leg ]

Miles Cowperthwaite: Why can't he hold the arm out of the way.

Dr. Pierce: Well, that's.. fine.. if you'd rather do that.

Mr. Tarvox: Yes, sir. Please.

Dr. Pierce: Okay. Now, don't worry, Mr. Tarvox, you won't feel a thing. You'll wake up, and they'll be gone.

Mr. Tarvox: They?

Dr. Pierce: It. It'll be gone. Uh.. I guarantee you won't know which one is missing.

Mr. Tarvox: Oh.

Dr. Pierce: Any preferences? [ Tarvox gives a strange look ] Good. Good. Okay, we'll take the.. the..

Miles Cowperthwaite: Leg.

Dr. Pierce: ..leg.. off on Thursday, okay? First thing. You'll be fine. You'll be fine.. [ walks off to have a drink ]

Miles Cowperthwaite V/O: "Perhaps this isn't the routine of an ordinary sailor: floggings, stockings, key haulings, kneeling on our knuckles, having things dropped on our heads, being pushed down stairs, and so on. But occasionally, there would be time for activities such as steering the ship, and trying to make the sails fill up with wind. Captain Ned took a warm, personal interest in my welfare, and if a night was stormy, or even mildy choppy, he would come to my cabin to comfort me."

[ Captain Ned enters Miles' room as he prays beside his bed ]

Miles Cowperthwaite: Oh. Captain Ned.

Captain Ned: [ grinning ] Hello, Miles. Uh.. I was worried that you might be.. "frightened" by the nasty weather.. [ unbuttons the top of his pajamas ]

Miles Cowperthwaite: But, Captain Ned, sir, it is perfectly calm tonight!

Captain Ned: Just so.. with the stormy weather we've been having lately, I was afraid this.. sudden calm might alarm you. Because I've seen grown men - manly men, in the full pride of their manhood, grow white with terror on serene, tranquil nights as this!

Miles Cowperthwaite: Oh, that is very kind of you, sir.. [ chuckles nervously ]

[ Captain Ned blows out the candle besides Miles' bed, leaving the room in total darkness ]

Miles Cowperthwaite V/O: "So dangerously flaccid did that night become, thus Captain Ned remained in my cabin to reassure me until dawn, when we were aroused by a shout from Mr. Spunk.."

First Mate Spunk: [ peering through telescope ] Land ahoy! Land ahoy! Oh, my God, I don't know.. oh, it might be land, maybe it's another boat.. Oh, daft, it might me a cloud! No, I can't tell, this damn thing is torturing me. Oh, maybe it's a cloud, I'm not sure, oh dear!

Captain Ned: [ walking up ] Mr. Spunk! Have you spied land?

First Mate Spunk: I'm not sure! Somebody else get up here and look! If I say it's land, and we make for it and it's not, I'll get yelled for it!

Captain Ned: Alright! [ peers through telescope ]

Miles Cowperthwaite V/O: "What Mr. Spunk had sighted was not land at all, but a small, open boat. Which, upon closer inspection, was found to contain two remarkable passengers." [ two women climb onboard The Raging Queen ]

Captain Ned: [ greeting them ] I am Captain Ned, of The Raging Queen! Tell me.. are there any males with you?

Madeline Warrington: No. Just my sister and I.

Ruth Warrington: Yes. My name is Ruth Warrington. This is my sister Madeline. We were crossing the West Indies, when pirates seized our ship. They took our entire crew prisoners.

Captain Ned: [ thinking ] Hmm.. Uh.. can you tell me, were these pirates manly and verile?

Madeline Warrington: They were contemptible animals, who subjected our ship's crew to the most unspeakable torture!

First Mate Spunk: Do you suppose these pirates might still be anywhere in the area.

Ruth Warrington: Yes. I'm afraid they may yet be very close..

Captain Ned: I see. [ runs to address his crew ] Men! There are pirates in these waters! Pirates who inflict hideous punishment to those who fall into their hands! [ crew oohs ] Now, we can turn tail and run. Or, we can take the many course, that which our manhood demands! Find these despots of discipline, and comfort them! What is your answer!!

Crew: Find the pirates!!

Captain Ned: So it will be done! Stand by to incur the waters! [ crew wave out to see, in search of the pirates ]

Miles Cowperthwaite V/O: "Despite six months spent in the endevour, our search for the pirates proved unsuccessful. And so at length we put into port at Key West, where we took on a supply of omelet pans and did the costumes for a production of 'Take Her, She's Mine'. These were pleasant times. With Captain Ned ashore buying melons, discipline was less severe, and his trips to my cabin to comfort me less frequent. One night, however, as I lay in bed writing a letter to Lord Pinckley, I heard an unfamilair knock at my door." [ a knock at the door ]

Miles Cowperthwaite: Come in? [ the Warrington sisters enter ]

Ruth Warrington: Hello, Miles. We came to see if you were alright.

Miles Cowperthwaite: Oh.

Madeline Warrington: Yes. We were worried that the cool sea air, combined with the saltiness of the spray, and the closeness of ships in the harbor might have alarmed you.

Miles Cowperthwaite: Oh. Well, that's very kind of you, but I'm not frightened! Are you alright?

Ruth Warrington: Well.. these past six months at sea aboard The Raging Queen have been somewhat frightening.

Miles Cowperthwaite: Begging your pardon, ma'am.. but have any of the men on board.. well.. tried to take liberties with you.

Madeline Warrington: No. No, not really.

Ruth Warrington: No. We haven't been harmed at all.

Miles Cowperthwaite: [ happy ] Oh! Well, ma'am, I suspect that's due to the discipline Captain Ned employs on this ship! For this crew is an unsavory lot!

Madeline Warrington: Yes, I suspect so. [ removing clothes ] Hey, Miles, it is terribly hot in here!

Ruth Warrington: Isn't it, Madeline? [ removes her clothes as well ]

Miles Cowperthwaite: Oh, it's alright for me!

Madeline Warrington: Perhaps we can comfort you, then, Miles?

[ Captain Ned enters; the girls jump up ]

Captain Ned: Hello, Miles.

Miles Cowperthwaite: Oh! Captain Ned! Captain Ned: Hello, Miss Warrington. Miss Warrington. Miles, I hurried back, as, uh.. I was afraid that the excitement of the last several months at sea, combined with the change of seasons might have alarmed you.

Miles Cowperthwaite: Oh, that's very kind of you, Captain..

Ruth Warrington: Excuse me, Captain, but we were comforting Miles.

Madeline Warrington: Wait! Perhaps we can all comfort Miles! [ a look of distress falls upon Miles' face ]

Captain Ned: Very well. I see nothing unmanly in that. [ the three of them undress and climb into Miles' bed ]

Miles Cowperthwaite V/O: "Of all that I have suffered since going to sea, nothing could compare to the constant comforting of Captain Ned and the Warrington sisters. And I resolved to escape from The Raging Queen at the first opportunity." [ show Miles walking across the ship in disguise ]

"One night, while the crew was below doing exercises to flatten their stomachs, I stole the Second Mate's coat, collected my few belongings, and lowered myself over the mast." [ Miles jumps overboard ] "A war took place after I hit the water. I have very little recollection. I was evidently quite ill for a very long time, and the next thing I remember seeing was the friendly face of Dr. Pierce."

Dr. Pierce: He's coming around..

Ruth Warrington: Oh, thank God!

Miles Cowperthwaite: [ dazed ] Where am I?

Madeline Warrington: You're back on board The Raging Queen, Miles. Dr. Pierce: Yes. You were very lucky. One of the crew saw you fall overboard.

Ruth Warrington: Captain Ned will be so relieved. He's been with you every moment, Miles.. comforting you.

Dr. Pierce: Well, Miles, I suspect you'll be strong enough to go under the knife in a couple of days, huh?

Miles Cowperthwaite: [ worried ] What?! What do you mean, Dr. Pierce?!

Dr. Pierce: The legs, Miles. I'm afraid they'll have to come off. Now, I've only got one pegleg aboard, but I can get you a nice hook for the bottom of this left knee. As soon as we reach port, we'll go shopping for a nice wooden one.

Miles Cowperthwaite: But, sir! Must I lose my legs?

Dr. Pierce: I'm afriad so, Miles. When we pulled you out of the water, your legs were.. soaking wet.

Miles Cowperthwaite V/O: From the moment I learned that Dr. Pierce has designs on my legs, I decided to repeat my attempt at escape whatever the risk involved. [ show Miles sneaking across the ship in disguise ] The very next morning, after one final night of comforting from Captain Ned, I once more stowed out of my cabin and lowered myself over the side, this time completely undetected.

[ Miles jumps overboard ] And so my term of service at sea had come to an end. Once again, I found myself quite alone in the world, with little capitol and few prospects. Of the details of my escape from The Raging Queen, as well as my adventures subsequent thereto, the reader shall learn in my next chapter: 'I Am Eaten By Sharks'." [ close ]

Red Maria

The Soul of Indecency

• 2 weeks later...
  • 6 years later...

I urge anyone interested in period sexuality to look at Lawrence Stone's The Family, Sex, and Marriage in England: 1500-1800.

About the worst time to be having any kind of sex was the Elizabethan period. That was before anybody had any concept that sex was a private or personal thing that other people had to keep their noses out of. Neighbors and servants were always spying on people, and went straight to the archdeacon the minute they got suspicion that anyone was doing anything not strictly approved. Homosexuality, adultery, fornication, unorthodox positions between man and wife, sex while pregnant, ANY of that stuff could get you dragged in front of the archdeacon and flogged to an inch of your life. Repressive doesn't begin to describe it.

Things got more relaxed in the 17th and 18th centuries, especially after the Restoration, but homosexuals still had a pretty hard time of it. Nobody had any concept of "orientation" as we describe it today, and homosexual experimentation was pretty common in the segregated boys' schools, but it was still flogging, disgrace and banishment if you got caught. Lesbianism was virtually invisible, to the point that nobody really has any clue how common or rare it might have been.

The 1757 Articles of War made "buggery" at sea a mandatory death penalty offense, but before that there are cases of homosexual sailors being spared if they were caught; Cordingly mentions an example.

Young Cunningham here was unable to tell arse from quim....

but in his defense it was dark and they northern types do favour a skirt..

Plus some chaps'll snog anything once the beer goggles are on, see the couple to the right of the fella copping a feel of the maid.

http://resolver.kb.n...ge&size=largest

Edited by Grymm

Lambourne! Lambourne! Stop that man pissin' on the hedge, it's imported.

The other thing is that word 'sodomy', in period it covered all the 'sins of sodom' , that is any sexual act deemed unnatural not just bum sex.

From the poetry of John Wilmot Earl of Rochester 1647-1680 which includes most of those sins

Régime de VIVRE

I rise at eleven, I dine about two,

I get drunk before seven; and the next thing I do,

I send for my whore, when for fear of a clap,

I spend in her hand, and I spew in her lap.

Then we quarrel and scold, 'till I fall fast asleep,

When the bitch, growing bold, to my pocket does creep;

Then slyly she leaves me, and, to revenge the affront,

At once she bereaves me of money and c**t.

If by chance then I wake, hot-headed and drunk,

What a coil do I make for the loss of my punk!

I storm and I roar, and I fall in a rage,

And missing my whore, I bugger my page.

Then, crop-sick all morning, I rail at my men,

And in bed I lie yawning 'till eleven again.

If you had cash and positions though you could get away with most things.........nutting changes eh?

Lambourne! Lambourne! Stop that man pissin' on the hedge, it's imported.

• 3 weeks later...

She offered her honor and I offered her honor and all the night long I was on her and off her... There was always self grattiffication for them what couldn't hold thier seed till next land fall. That is for them what didn't take to hot bunkin.

Lord above please send a dove with wings as sharp as razors , to cuts the throats of them there blokes what sells bad booze to sailors ..

" Illigitimiti non carborundum . "

• 2 weeks later...

Speaking to the comments from the 2004 posts, I started Burg's book and gave up on when he explained that it is based upon supposition. (He doesn't call it that, he calls it "speculative social science" or "interdisciplinary sociology" but the point still stands.) As he explains, "This [book] is simply not history. It utilizes the past but doesn't deal with it." (Burg, p. xli)

After reading that, I set it aside, rather than confusing my supply of mental information that is history with someone's "not history."

Mycroft: "My brother has the brain of a scientist or a philosopher, yet he elects to be a detective. What might we deduce about his heart?"

John: "I don't know."

Mycroft: "Neither do I. But initially he wanted to be a pirate."

Mission_banner5.JPG

From the poetry of John Wilmot Earl of Rochester 1647-1680 which includes most of those sins

Régime de VIVRE

I rise at eleven...

If you had cash and positions though you could get away with most things.........nutting changes eh?

It worked for Bill Clinton.

D.B. Couper