Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
madPete

Long Beach Pirate Invasion - after action report

1 post in this topic

This ended up being a day trip since the organizers discouraged the overnight camping. Altho a few people stayed the night, it was deemed "Security related". Having said that, as a day tripper, I'm sure I missed some things... I know there were other events scheduled for Order of Leviathan including a cruise on the American Pride.

We got there before the festival opened so parking in the nearby structure was not a problem. I'm told there were shuttles from other parking locations. The point where the lighthouse sits was the actual area for the Invasion  (see photo1). At entry ( there was no charge to get in), bags were checked for whatever they were looking for. I dont think that they cared much about how weapons were carried, as I saw many swords and knives with no peacetie, and a few black powder pistols and blunderbusses carried about.

We meandered the pathway to get our bearin's and an initial overview of what was there. This were many food vendors and miscellaneous vendors, some only loosely tied to the nautical theme or not at all. There were various camps for guilds or crews, a few historical and many fantasy groups. There was a stage for bands and several areas set up for entertainers including Capt Jack Spareribs. There was a bouncy house area for the kids and face painting. The Pirate Charles band was performing both days as well.

The event t-shirts were priced quite competitively and made on the spot or with a 5-10 minute wait. $7 for a basic event tee is quite a righteous price!

At the light house, the beer garden was set up and there was an awesome view of the surrounding area including the harbor entrance, the Queen Mary and Rainbow harbor. The stage was set up slightly below the lighthouse.  This brings to mind the fact that the only flat locations were along the pathway and they were filled to capacity, so not sure how well additional crew encampments would even work out if they chose to do the overnight camping.

The pathway surrounded the entire point and then meandered in a circle up to the lighthouse. At the pier, near the Leviathan camp, there were several cannons setup and and firing at periodic times during the day. There was also a sailboat  decked out as a pirate shipinvolved in the melee.

It seems these days, a "pirate" invasion means anything goes. The cosplay people seem to come out in force. The Wasteland weekend people had a meetup scheduled there, at least one renfair group with earlier costumes and then the public wore all variations of anything hinting at pirates.There seemed to be a large contingent of public wearing what I will loosely call mermaid yoga pants.

At our historical camp, many of the crew from Dana Point tallships festival hung out and enjoyed each others company. Being on the walkway, many others stopped by and were recognized including Gunpowder Gertie, MadL, BilgeMunkey and many others I'm sure I missed.

All in all, a typical "Pirate festival" but with quite a large public showing

_map.jpg

_logo.jpg

050.jpg

lighthouse.jpg

jacksparerib02.jpg

013.jpg

021.jpg

016.jpg