William Brand

The Pub...past, present and future.

11 posts in this topic

Many of you will have noticed that we never truly 'closed' the Pub.  We've talked about it for years, and discussed what we might do to preserve or archive it, but it's never been formally closed.  New membership was halted due to software issues and security (as we had some dozens of robotic applications for every one real person).  It was a decision done when applications were few and far between just to rectify attacks on the Pub as it sat silent.

So what now?  We're discussing that.  We're checking avenues to revive and restore the Pub to some of its former glory and bring back all the things which gave everyone a sense of community and place.   A few people have offered to donate money for the upkeep, maintenance, hosting costs, etc., and we're talking about that too.  We're chasing the task of moving the Pub to a new server with an updated software foundation and all the security and perks which come with it.  We hope to work it all out soon enough.  

Meanwhile, we invite people to come home and put up their feet.  The Pub isn't going anywhere anytime soon.  It's too important.  It has heritage and we think it's worth holding on to.  

Now that the newness of Facebook has worn off, its funny how old friends come back!

There needs to be a way to let crews know the ship hasn't gone down and bring old and new on board again ?

I wore my PUB T-shirt to the Blackbeard Festival June 1st in Hampton Va.  nobody asked about it. Go on Face Book contact Crews put the word out, hoist the FLAG.

Thank you for 'representing'.  We're reaching out to various people and recruiting some new moderators.   We hope to have enough daily content and replies to keep it going, so find old threads and new and help keep the conversations lively.  

searching frantically for his pub t -shirt...

Still here!  Glad to see the "resurrection"...! :D

I think we'd have to recruit a whole new batch of people to make it work. Many of the folks that were very active here seem to have moved on to other things. (I tried OKing new users for a while, but it's like swimming upstream. In a river coming down from the mountains. After three weeks of heavy rain. So... many... BS bot signups...

Seriously, I don't think 'dozens' covered it. It was more like hundreds of crap signups for every (possible) legitimate one. But we really need a new base of users if you want to reenergize the place.

a lot of facebook groups ask several questions at signup, if they are meaningful, you get approved. But it makes it a manual approval task too. I have to think that a new software update would include some new functions.

And yes, its building a whole new base of people again, no matter how you look at it.

I'm glad to see that there may be a future for this pub.  I was literally in tears when I heard she was going to be taken down years ago, but occasional checking kept my spirits up since.  I think one great way to get people back is just to reach out to as many pirate reenactment/entertainment groups as possible and let them know it's still here.  Many people, even if they've transitioned to different things through the years, still keep in touch with at least a couple of friends they've met through these interests and the word will spread.  I'm happy to pitch in a couple of doubloons as well if that becomes an issue (and very happily will buy another T-shirt or similar swag).  Beyond being an admin for a large community facebook page, I don't have much skill in that way, but if a server makes reviewing applications/accepting or denying them somewhat foolproof, I'm happy to help out as much as I ever can.  I can also help moderate forums and delete spam, etc.  So, if more people are needed in that way, please let me know.

Arrrgh!

The future of the Pub is most reliant on traffic in the form of discussions, new topics, regular postings, so people want to visit to see 'new content'.  With regular posting, it won't grow or draw a new fan base when the software updates take place, so find interesting new topics and post.