Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
JoeClark

First Time Traveling to Key West

9 posts in this topic

Hi All:

So I've decided to treat myself for my birthday and take my long wanted trip to Key West. After losing my mother last year I just decided to do whatever I want, and since my birthdays are now sad, I thought I would run away for it.
First thing's first, I'm flying on Delta, and yes, I'm on a 737 into EYW (one bucket list item crossed out). My travel dates are July 18-22.
So, I've booked the flight, and I'm still hotel shopping just in case a friend of mine decides to join me, but I'm leaning toward the Best Western Hibiscus Motel near Duval Street. I'm open to any ideas for a budget conscious traveler going to Key West (an expensive city) for the first time. I am hoping to see a waterspout while I'm there too (another bucket list item). So here are my dilemmas:
1) I land in EYW at 11:39 AM on July 18th. Any ideas on what to do until I can check into any hotel? Maybe a good plane spotting location?
2) Any objections to the Best Western Hibiscus (keep in mind, I just need a clean place to sleep with my own bathroom and close to the activity so I don't need to rely too heavily on quick transportation). 
3) What should I check out?
4) Any other advice is welcome!

I didn't find the right solution from the internet.
References:

http://www.airliners.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1356707

whiteboard animation

You must go to 'Blue Heaven' for breakfast.  Fantastic breakfast fare.  You must also go to Cafe Sole for dinner.  Ask for 'the perfect dinner'.  It's not on the menu, but you won't regret it.  

What might be thee best time to head fer Key West ? I would imagine not August-November ,  but other than that what might be the most agreeable time to hit the Keys ?

The weather is very nice in the late fall.  The Fort Taylor Pyrate Invasion and Pirates in Paradise events were always the first week of December, and the weather was wonderful.  

Is this event still being held?

Nope. I believe the last year was 2014. There is a similar one held each year in Maine with many of the same people...

Fort Knox Pirate Parlay

The first time I visited KW the Navy sent me there, It was in Dec. & Jan '73 & '74. I went back this June for a week they have cruise ships coming in there and the place is packed it is the old Conch Town that it was. The cruise ships pack the place it like you are in Disney World. If you ever decide to visit you can check cruise ship in port date on line. There is a Pirate event in Fla. on the west coast at Cedar Key.

I've stayed in the Hisbiscus, although it was about 25 years ago. (Sheesh.) It's a Best Western on the quiet side of Duvall, which is nice if you want to get some sleep. It's a motel room and not much else, but it's near some nice galleries, and at the time there was a little grocery and pharmacy nearby. Plus it was near La Creperie French Cafe, which I always liked, although it's a bit pricey. It's also near Louie's Backyard which is a great place to eat, although that's really pricey. (Food can be REALLY expensive in Key West. If you're on a budget, you probably want to get away from Duvall to eat.) And you can park there for free - or at least you could when I stayed there. It's a hike into the main part of Duvall - say about a mile? - but Key West is really a walking or biking, not a driving city.

Still, for a little more money at the time, I could have stayed in one of the Condos in the Truman Annex. It's closer to town, but still away from all the noise in the city. It's also near a grocery store and, being a condo, you can cook some meals for yourself and save some money. Plus it's a lot more appealing and nicer digs than any BW.  I've probably visited KW 20 some times now and that's my go-to place. I stayed there the last 5 or 6 times I visited. The big drawback is that you have to stay a full week. But if you're planning a week anyhow, compare the prices of a single room condo to any hotel. You might be surprised.