Indian Ocean / Red Sea information

sea haugh

Hello All,

A brief random question or two....

1700-1730.... I do not know if any exist or if any search has been done , but Persian and Indian documents from that era in relation to events on the ocean, would there be any and if so , where would the likeliest places be if stored in an archive somewhere or even in private domain?

This stems from thinking about Taylor and England being off the coast of India , and Kendal loitering around the Red sea , surely it must have been noted by these local nations? Or how is it  Taylor and England can cruise right down the coast of India without harm , touching in to see the friendly Dutch , while the Indian fella Angria ruled those waters , given the expanse and method he used to capture vessels , like trapped fish in an ever shrinking net. 

He was aware of the European pyrates , and even John Plantain supposedly went to work in his service Once Ratner Bay had lost its appeal , even , although others will ridicule the source "Compendius History of Indian wars.." but even Clement Downing himself stated that most of his information on the pirates came from a few lads at St Mary & Madagascar , whom he later met few years later in service or were in service with Angria , which is the only source for the final whereabouts of Plantain. (concerning Downing... how can he be dismissed as being mostly  fictional in his book , yet , deemed acceptable in his information provided in the "trials and criminal examinations series stored at Kew? not once but a few times. all appearing correct?

So yeah , does anyone have anything on Persian and Indian sources for this type information?

My other question is , just where exactly is "Browns garden" on Juanna? the burial site used by many a sailor and pyrate , can anyone shed some light? Am aware Jasper Seeter is buried on St Mary , but for browns garden , one of Levasseurs crew , he is buried there by Cut Kirby "Greenwich" crew , as is a few from Matthews Squadron , surely this Browns Garden should be noted somewhere given the knowledge of the time.

Many thanks in advance, 

Sea Haugh

Downing’s book is quite messy to read. He doesn’t tell the story chronologically, and it seems like he put down things as they popped up in his mind. Much of it is probably based on stories that he has heard from other people, and might not be fully correct, but I would say that that the big picture probably is true.
His description of Plantain’s war with King Dick gets some support by Desforges-Boucher L'Ile Bourbon pedant la Régence and Jacobs de Bucquoy.

True , i do agree it is messy , and yes i did deserve the slap on the hand for how i approached his book , a few years back on here. But do not think it cannot be dismissed when used in unison with examinations and criminal matters series , who via numerous testimonies and examinations help ground what Downing has been saying.

Browns Garden , i am simply looking to know where exactly , be it via books or finding it via numerous ship journals and the navigational details. 

What got me thinking of this is , we all look into the more infamous pirates , yet , whatever happened to Paulsgrave Williams? It was mentioned  that he was not in best temperament  when under the command of LeVasseur , while heading round to the Indian Ocean , so , what happened? where did he go? was he killed? Did he jump ship?

An idea i have floating around is , this whole thing about LeVasseur losing his ship at Mayotta , so close to land , was it an accident or sabotage? Did Paulsgrave finally have enough and caused an event to happen in order to get off the ship? with the help of the others who fled? 11 of them was it not? yet only 4 ended up on "Greenwich " one of whom was buried in Browns Garden. no names are given of these fellas , even under any name. 

These 4 pirates were recognised by an Italian passenger , so who would be more noticeable than someone more so up the pecking order on a pirate vessel , could Paulsgrave have been one of these guys?

Or did LeVasseur simply take Paulsgrave out of the equation somehow? all assumptions for now i guess.

just a mulling thought.