The Pyracy Pub is Closing!

William Brand

Ahoy, all pirates everywhere! With a heart both proud of our legacy and heavy at our loss, I must announce that Pyracy.com is closing the doors of the 'Pub' at the start of the new year. The Pub (as it exists now in website form) no longer draws in the pirate hoards it once did, and so we will be moving the Pub to more 'social' seas and we ask that anyone wishing to save photos, stories, discussions and any other thing contained on the website, please do so before the end of the year. Then we will commit the website to the deep.

image.jpeg.6e5f24495b9d06c08a6a4e051c2bcc99.jpeg

After 13 years of thorough enjoyment and education, I will be shedding more than one tear at the event.  It really has become a wealth of knowledge, and I will miss many of the friends whom I have met, at least on the cyber seas.  Hopefully many of them will continue on with the facebook page and other sources.  Cheers to all the moderators throughout the years!

She was bigger and faster when under full sail

With a gale on the beam and the seas o'er the rail

sml_gallery_27_597_266212.jpg

Would that I could bind it all and put it on my shelf. It was this forum that brought me to reenacting, realizing that "playing Pyrate" could be more than a childhood memory and that we could simultaneously advance the study of the actual history, and stories, of Pyrates during the so-called Golden Age. While I, like many, don't come here as much as I used to, it was always reassuring to know that I could. 

3ff66f1f.jpg

My occupational hazard bein' my occupation's just not around...

7 hours ago, Silver said:

it has been a seaworthy vessel, but its voyage is at an end. "captian, open the sea cocks or light the powder train to the magazine?"

Aye, Silver.  Just how shall we send her off...?  Perhaps one last posting event here on the Pub.  We invite everyone and all and we share all our favorite experiences and raise a glass!  I'll mull it over and we'll pick a day in January.

image.jpeg.6e5f24495b9d06c08a6a4e051c2bcc99.jpeg

It was ever thus. The Pub was very much the love-child of No Quarter Given which, in its own day served as a hub for those of us who liked to play pirates. I was a subscriber and occasional author for NQG, but as the digital age loomed the print magazine fell overboard. Now the tight-bottomed social media has all but replaced forums (not for the better, IMHO) as the main means of communicating with our fellows.

December 30th this year will be my own 13th anniversary as a member of the Pub. They've been thirteen good years and I'm grateful for the friends I've made here. That sounds very final and sad, but I'll see most of you over on Facebook.

Foxe

"With this Fore-Staff he fansies he does Wonders, when, God knows, it amounts to no more but only to solve that simple Question, Where are we? Which every chi'd in London can tell you." - Ned Ward The Wooden World Dissected, 1707

ETFox.co.uk

I'll definitely lament it as I would the burning of a library.  Although there is much misinformation here (especially from a decade ago when we were just bringing historical reenacting of piracy more mainstream instead of just SCA/entertainment groups), there is a huge wealth of searchable information as well.  It would be great if we could save just the captain twill section somehow and possibly even sell it for a reasonable price to those who would want to keep it as reference.  Unfortunately, I'm more at home on the ocean than on the cyber seas, otherwise I'd volunteer to do that work myself.

Why don't you leave it online, read-only, not "committing it to the depth", only switching off registrations and letting it remain the source of information for the present and future generations? Many forums are treated this way after getting closed, and I consider it way better. For me, turning the forums offline is equivalent to burning books after having read them once, instead of leaving them to be read by the posterity.

And why would you want to SELL it? Information is free and it is supposed to circulate free, in order to enlighten many people. If having a price on it, it will arrive to only few people...

I am sad to let it go, but I would be even sadder to see it deleted/ turned offline, when it comprises a tremendous load of information. Please, reconsider! Turn off posting and registrations (in order not to get spam) and let it live its old age undisturbed!

Also, where are you moving to? I mean, I'd like to know the new tavern the pirates are gathering in, to come to the experts with my strangest questions from time to time ;).

Edited by Elena

BTMnewad.jpg
-A swashbuckling adventures RPG, set in 1720 in West Indies; winner of Distant Fantasies& RPG-D Member's Choice Award; RPG Conference's Originality Award; 2011 & 2012 Simming Prizes-

As for selling it, my proposal was merely to keep the information in some form and offset the actual costs of doing so (such as the physical CD(s) or other information storage device and shipping), plus possibly a tiny pittance to whomever actually did the work to keep the information available in some format.

As for other locations, I'm sure I don't have nearly all of them, but there is a Pyracy Pub facebook page, plus I often keep up to date on many related topics on the facebook pages Historical Sailing Ships and other Maritime Marvels, Authentic Pirate Living History, Maritime Archaeology, and No Quarter Given (which originally printed a great little magazine that was somewhat a basis for the original pyracy pub, as mentioned above by Fox).  Hope to see you on those fascinating, new, but not always better cyber seas.

Coastie04

aka Michael Lamonica (for facebook recognition)

Facebook is a really terrible venue for anything important, because new postings push things down the page to eventually drop off the bottom to be lost forever.  Things like kitten pictures, personal posts, etc. just load up the page, and eventually cause the important stuff to be lost.  A forum style website like what we have now is far better where postings can be easily found for future reference.   I know nothing of setting up websites, so it may be cost prohibitive, but I think social websites like facebook are worthless !!

On 11/6/2016 at 5:52 AM, Cascabel said:

Facebook is a really terrible venue for anything important, because new postings push things down the page to eventually drop off the bottom to be lost forever.  Things like kitten pictures, personal posts, etc. just load up the page, and eventually cause the important stuff to be lost.  A forum style website like what we have now is far better where postings can be easily found for future reference.   I know nothing of setting up websites, so it may be cost prohibitive, but I think social websites like facebook are worthless !!

I agree with this.  For those who know better than Cascabel and myself (and I believe that there was a suggestion by Michael S Bagely -if I'm not mistaken- on Facebook), what is the best way of preserving the information that has been collected here throughout nearly a decade and a half?  If there is a way to copy the information and make a new, non-forum searchable reference webpage with all of the Twill topics, I'd gladly spare some silver to see it done.  Heck, I wouldn't even need the T-shirt or stickers this time (though, a crowd sourcing fundraiser with those same T-shirts, stickers, etc. as incentives would be another idea for raising necessary funds for creating a new reference pub).  Please don't let all this knowledge evaporate; I haven't had time to read it all yet!

And even this pub itself can remain closed for new registrations but open to search and retrieve the information in it. This is what I am advocating for. To keep it online but read only.

BTMnewad.jpg
-A swashbuckling adventures RPG, set in 1720 in West Indies; winner of Distant Fantasies& RPG-D Member's Choice Award; RPG Conference's Originality Award; 2011 & 2012 Simming Prizes-

The way I understand it, it would require purging all of the personal information so that it doesn't get hacked.  I've heard that's harder than it sounds (I don't know, maybe it would delete posts from the user if their profile was deleted?).  I'll trust the gurus that know much more than I about these things.  I'll still be happy to lend what coins I can spare to see it done properly.

Sad it has to be closed, but well, I can see why.

I am no computer genius but: Why it cannot be left hanging around like regular pages? I mean no active accounts or registrations, just mere text and pictures. Archived version of the forum, not an interactive.

"I have not yet Begun To Fight!"
John Paul Jones

flag-christopher-condent.gif

Well shit. This just sucks.  I finally get wifi and now there's nowhere to go anymore. Facebook is such a cesspool I will not engage in it. Logged on a couple times just to read info from the Luna site and get in touch with Dutch, but that is as far as I will ever go. Given the recent turn of events due to the election, I have not one good thing to say about farcebook or the drivel spewing from it's nasty existence. Take care everyone, see you in the funny papers.

Bo

• 1 month later...

Thank you and farewell to pyracy pub.  I learned a lot on these pages.  So many times I just couldn't wait to see what was newly posted!  I had many good times on this site.  Blessings to everyone who was a member of the pub, I hope our paths cross again.  Special thanks to the administrators and moderators (I hope I wasn't too sassy) for all your hard work!

I still don't understand why it can't be left as a reference book, with any further comments and registration closed...

BTMnewad.jpg

Don't sink your ship she says
But it's been too long since we've seen the warm shore her heart said
Her emotions like a squall rocked the boat that was her heart

Her dreams, a mirage that disguised the reefs in all her hearts misguided misdirection, All in an attempt to garnish some sort of anchor or grounding affection

Don't sink your ship she says
She ties herself to the helm and she plants her feet
Her tears lost in the sheets of rain
Tears lost to the pain
She had no choice but to pull back from the beckoning shoals
No choice but to wait out the storm

Don't sink your ship her remembered voice whispered as she sagged by the mizzen mast.
Don't sink your ship
Tomorrow could be your last.

A very sad event, indeed. I wish I had joined this forum years ago. I thought the website facelift was an indication of the forum living on indefinitely. It really is the only place where I trust my questions to be answered with authentic source material. A place where my questions are not only answered quickly but passionately. I will miss this site. With the every expanding internet being what it is, I know that I will not find a better group of individuals to hold intellectual conversations.

I wish everyone the very best.

Piracy restored, commerce expelled!

"Let us do evil, that good may come."

- Romans 3:8