Upcoming Acts of Pyracy

I'm starting an all purpose thread about upcoming, current and recently attended events to help our members find events that are going on all around the world.  If you see an ad for an event anywhere, just drop a link here and we'll discuss the details!

For example, the Sheppey Pirates are holding an event the first week of August with an open air cinema, water fight and live music.  

Sea Dog Night and Gypsey Carnival is July 14th - 18th in Lebanon, Oregon. 

The Battleship New Jersey Pirate Invasion is on July 9th. 

image.jpeg.6e5f24495b9d06c08a6a4e051c2bcc99.jpeg

Dana Point Ocean Institute puts on a great event the 2nd weekend of September each year,  in conjunction with the Toshiba tall ships festival. The tall ships travel up and down the California coast and offer tours and sails. The waterfront is packed with pirates and pirate loving public, vendors and a pirate camp.

There is a British Naval unit that mans the Brig Pilgrim and each year the Pirates row in to take over the ship 3 times a day for the public.

There is a good showing of pirates of an Historical nature, and shooting of cannons and flintlocks off the pier.

http://www.ocean-institute.org/tall-ships-festival

mP

background.jpg

Aye... Plunder Awaits!

Recently, I attended (and payed a central role in organizing) the 8th annual Put-in-Bay (Ohio) pyrate festival and reenactment. This event has bounced back and fourth between the 3rd and 4th weekend in June over the last many years, with it falling on the 3rd weekend for the last few. 2017 (the 9th year) will see the event moved back to the 4th weekend (June 23rd, 24th, 25th, with some activities going on Monday June 26th as well). 

This coming weekend (June 8th, 9th, 10th) will see me out at the Olcott (western New York) Pirate festival. Not sure how long this one has been going on, but it will be my first year there. It is looking to be very well attended, and by a great majority of the same reenactors as Put-in-Bay.

Also, seriously considering Fort Des Chartres Illinois (just outside of St. Louis Missouri) for their autumn event in early November.

I think that sums up what is left of my 2016 pirate schedule

Michael_banner.jpg

I'd love to see you again at the fort! I will be participating on another woodswalk team this year as well. You will like this camp much more than the experience you had at the June rondyvoos the last time you came. Let me know if I can do anything to help with logistics arrangements, have plenty of canvas if you need a place to sleep and save room in your vehicle.

Bo

1 hour ago, Capt. Bo of the WTF co. said:

I'd love to see you again at the fort! I will be participating on another woodswalk team this year as well. You will like this camp much more than the experience you had at the June rondyvoos the last time you came. Let me know if I can do anything to help with logistics arrangements, have plenty of canvas if you need a place to sleep and save room in your vehicle.

Bo

I might beg the use of some canvas.  My tent is great, but the idea of shipping it to the event, well....let me know.  

image.jpeg.6e5f24495b9d06c08a6a4e051c2bcc99.jpeg

• 5 weeks later...

Sorry for the delay. Started working in the trades as an electrician full time and drive an hour each way. Doesn't leave much library time these days. I will be happy to put up the big wedge again for the use of those needing shelter. Hope to see you there.

Bo

• 1 month later...

William -you need to get set up with a traveling tent of some sort.

It's not a stretch to fit a wedge tent, stakes, ropes, and cot (all wrapped in a wool blanket) into a zippered duffel that gets checked on plane. Under 50# and no big deal. An oar tent is even lighter and easier.

I recently added poles that screw together and fit in the bag as well. Pm me and I'll give the details. Clothes fit in a carry-on and/or a backpack.

I was gonna say it doesn't quite fit in a seabag, but if one made a seabag the same size as the duffel it just might...

mP

background.jpg

Aye... Plunder Awaits!

• 2 weeks later...

Still thinking of coming out for the winter rendevous/woodswalk event at Fort DeChartres? I let myself be talked into getting wifi service at home so my kids can do schoolwork and such, so I am able to communicate from my easy chair now. The big 12X12 wedge is still available and I also got another 7X7 bell wedge for my daughter but she won't be coming to the event so that one can be utilized also. I still have an old flip phone and service around these Ozark hills in the lake area is spotty but give me a call if you like. I left my # in a PM. Hope to see some of the Pyracy Pubbers there!

Bo

• 3 months later...
On 7/6/2016 at 0:16 PM, michaelsbagley said:

Recently, I attended (and payed a central role in organizing) the 8th annual Put-in-Bay (Ohio) pyrate festival and reenactment. This event has bounced back and fourth between the 3rd and 4th weekend in June over the last many years, with it falling on the 3rd weekend for the last few. 2017 (the 9th year) will see the event moved back to the 4th weekend (June 23rd, 24th, 25th, with some activities going on Monday June 26th as well). 

This coming weekend (June 8th, 9th, 10th) will see me out at the Olcott (western New York) Pirate festival. Not sure how long this one has been going on, but it will be my first year there. It is looking to be very well attended, and by a great majority of the same reenactors as Put-in-Bay.

Also, seriously considering Fort Des Chartres Illinois (just outside of St. Louis Missouri) for their autumn event in early November.

I think that sums up what is left of my 2016 pirate schedule

Avast! Been trying to get to this event for some years since we spoke with the fine folks at P.I.B. - always seem to have a conflicting event or some such. MAYBE this year we can swing it and sail across the Lake (we're a darn sight closer now too).

Been away awhile, mates...and now it seems, returned too late...

Our 9th Annual NOLA Pyrate Week ~ 24 Mar - 2 Apr, 2017 (New Orleans and across Louisiana, USA)

NOLA Pyrate Week - THE Pyratical celebration of history, culture & community in Louisiana. 10 days of swashbuckling, art, music, food, events and general camaraderie among the Pyrates of Louisiana – past & present – and their mates from around the globe! History & culture are a focus with visits to important & interesting sites nearby. 

It's not all frivolity - we also help out in the community where we're able - Pyrate History Days at local schools & libraries, visiting Seniors, walking dogs, helping local charities and other benevolent/volunteer efforts.

This is NOT a "festival", it's a GATHERING o' like minded folks who like to experience real history & culture in the places it actually happened.

NOLA Pyrate Week happens every spring at about the same time...last weekend o' March to the second weekend o' April - from New Orleans, to the Prairie & the Bayous o' South Louisiana! (Ye can often find us relaxing at Pirates Alley Café between adventures)

-------------------------------------------

We are also planning a more 'typical' event in Southern Ontario (where the Welland Canal meets Lake Erie) - but with a more historical bend than most 'festivals'.

Celebrating Pyrates, Privateers and similar adventurers who helped shape trade in the "New World", were crucial in battles like The War of 1812, and roamed anywhere there was water (including the Great Lakes). In other words, all the history that's been mis-written, ignored, buried...and a generous helping o' good fun, treasure and likely a tall tale or two! Meantime, we welcome ye to join us at reenactment & festival events around S. Ontario to be listed via our other websites: The Pyrates Image and The Kinnikinnick Trading Co. - some o' these are just across the border from Buffalo!

-------------------------------------------

39th Annual Canal Days Marine Heritage Festival  ~ Aug 4, 5 & 6

Canal Days Marine Heritage Festival (first weekend in August every year) offers activities and attractions for one and all. Vessels gather in Port Colborne each Civic holiday weekend, for a four-day celebration of history and heritage along the canal. From working Tall Ships (and cruises out into the Lake), to Fire Tugs, handmade Canoes to Scale Models...and even a large display of Classic Cars! The whole town gets into the spirit, welcoming more than 300,000 visitors each year!

Nestled at the juncture of the Welland Canal and the Lake Erie north shore, Port Colborne is a working marine community, with rich nautical history and welcoming hospitality. At the height of summer, the entire city takes time to celebrate the reasons why this picturesque town has grown and prospered – our marine heritage and our connection to the St. Lawrence Seaway and the seafaring world at large.

While the main festival area is packed with fun, join us (just off the canal) at The Marine Heritage Museum - history comes alive with displays, demonstrations & historical merchants & artisans!

Capt-QM-pelts.jpg

Billy-Rhonda-Port-Colborne-Museum.jpg

Pyrates-Alley-Group-14.jpg

Edited by Capt. John Swallow