Baldric buckle options

I've started doing some leatherworking, mostly baldrics and belts and simple things so far.   I'm trying to decide what type of buckles I should get to put on my baldrics.  As I'm sure we all know, larger size buckles are a pain to come across, but I've found a couple resources.  In your opinions, would you like to see a more rustic blacksmithed buckle or a shiny brass one?  I'm not sure which would be more period correct as I'm sure there were people making brass buckles but also blacksmiths making this type of thing.  I'm attaching a couple pictures of the options I'm looking at, any advice would be helpful!

il_570xN.753225652_c8s1.jpg

HBB-0540.jpg

I would go with the brass one.   If you give them a wipe with acetone to remove the protective lacquer, they will tarnish quite nicely over time, or you can help things along by giving them a wipe with dirty gun cleaning patches, after removing the protective coating.  

I've thought about doing that, but I've asked around on a few other pages I belong to and most people seem to be interested in the blacksmithed buckles for some reason.  I'll probably end up doing both when I have some more funds.