How to fly your colors?

Having made my crew a larger flag for use at our events, I've come across a small dilemma.  You see, the smaller flag was easily hung from a nearby tree branch or tent pole, but this larger flag (about 4'X6') is another matter.  I've seen portable, telescoping flagpoles (for tailgates and the like), but the sturdy ones cost upwards of $300, which is more than I can spend.  My current plan is to try three 5' sections of thick PVC or metal conduit (painted to look like wood, of course) connected by two 4-way joints.  Rope will be run through the horizontal arms of the joints and staked down to the ground, creating a sort of rigging to stabilize the pole once it's in the ground.  I was wondering if anyone could find any immediate fault with this plan, and wanted to see what all you creative folk have come up with for flying your colors.

You could even rig it somewhat like a ship would be.  Below are a couple of (granted, somewhat poor pictures) of the USCGA's main flagpole.  A few deadeyes and multiple shrouds staked into the ground on each side would definitely add to the nautical feel.  Then you could also add a yard and/or gaff in the future if you want to fly additional flags, possibly signifying when grub is up or preparing for an engagement of some nature.  Heck, maybe even having a flag to call the crew back for cleanup duties.

B2-100719887.jpg&MaxW=960

46eb62dc1349857dc3ed3f949bd1e4f3.jpg

article-2278050-178E1848000005DC-75_1024

In this one you can see the 'topmast' look just below the yard.  Obviously, you would need a MUCH smaller version, but a few heavy duty stakes for the shrouds would probably hold it up fairly well, possibly with a small 'boot' attached to a planked deck on the base of the pole.  Add a fife rail for the haliards with belaying pins, and you've got yourself a masterpiece.

She was bigger and faster when under full sail

With a gale on the beam and the seas o'er the rail

sml_gallery_27_597_266212.jpg

A Jolly Roger looks just fine loosely draped over a tent, or a nearby bush, fence, or tree, as if hung up to dry out in your campsite.  It will set the theme for your area.   Of course, it needs to be tied or pinned in place so it doesn't blow down.   I have a 10 footer that I display that way sometimes.   Looks great, and no need to bring any kind of flagpole.  A flagpole sturdy enough to not blow down would be a real problem !! 

If for display and not for height try a ground spike (angle iron) and tube fabricated by local welder.  Add a pair of small foot tabs to help set the spike in the soil.

Ikea had some nice one piece curtain rod with end caps at 7- 8' or try a lumber yard for closet poles of suitable diameter and length for your flag

I used the curtain rod painted black and gold leafed the finial, brass eye screws attach the 3x5 roger.

Jas. Hook

"Born on an island, live on an island... the sea has always been in my blood." Jas. Hook

"You can't direct the wind . . . but . . . you can adjust the sails."

"Don't eat the chickens with writing on their beaks." Governor Sawney