Christopher Condent

I've taken an interest in this gentleman's story as of late and was wondering if there was anything more that could be learned about him. Are there any parts of his story in Gen. History that have been proven false or exaggerated? Is there any corroborating info to prove he did become a wealthy merchant? Also, is there a source for the Billy One Hand moniker? Thanks, I look forward to the discussion.

Condent was perhaps one of the most successful pirates as he managed to retire with his wealth. In November 1720 he forced the ministry on Bourbon (today Reunion) to grant him and his crew of 135 men amnesty, by threats of severe attacks of French ships in the area. The amnesty was granted and as a part of the agreement Condent sank his Flying Dragon at Saint Marie and went to Bourbon in the ship Crooker. But for unknown reasons, only 32 men followed him.

Condent must however have taken his part of the agreement seriously, because he was negotiating for the French when the Portuguese viceroy of Goa was taken by pirates while he still was on the island.

In November 1722 he embarked the ship La Vierge de Grâce and went to France where he arrived in February the following year. There he got married and lived until he died in 1734, apparently as a French citizen.

You can find these details and references in Robert Bousqet book Reunion esclavage traite noirs neg marron.

• 2 weeks later...

I wondered this exact same matter some time ago here 

It has been written much about pirates like Blackbeard and others and not much of these other people. I actually think in historical sense Condent might have been more important than many pirates we know better.

Edited by Swashbuckler 1700

"I have not yet Begun To Fight!"
John Paul Jones

flag-christopher-condent.gif