17th century slang and words

lwhitehead

• 6 months later...

Hello. The title of this topic seemed relevant for my quick question. I am reading The School of Manners by John Garretson and during his listing of Behaviors For the Home, he states, "Be never covered at home, especially before thy Parents or Strangers". Now since being naked in front of company would be strange (although I suppose is was a different time ;)) I am wondering what being "covered" actually meant. None of my period dictionaries had it so any information would be greatly appreciated.

"Let us do evil, that good may come."

- Romans 3:8

Though this is only conjecture, I'd guess maybe wearing a hat is being 'covered' in this context.  In the military even today, they often call the various uniform hats 'covers' and it is proper when indoors to take the hat off (unless on duty).  So my guess would be that it's essentially telling people not to wear their hats in their home.  Of course, for this time period it might even be extended to mean a wig, which could show off social status, so there may be further 'good manners' shown by taking it off.  I'll reiterate that this is just conjecture and I have no sources to back it up.

She was bigger and faster when under full sail

With a gale on the beam and the seas o'er the rail

sml_gallery_27_597_266212.jpg

I am also guessing, but I have heard that a man wearing only a shirt with no waistcoat or a woman wearing a shift with no stays and mantua were considered undressed.

Mycroft: "My brother has the brain of a scientist or a philosopher, yet he elects to be a detective. What might we deduce about his heart?"

John: "I don't know."

Mycroft: "Neither do I. But initially he wanted to be a pirate."

Mission_banner5.JPG

I would believe "covered" in that context would more be an indication of wearing proper clothes (as in waistcoat etc) more so than just a hat. I know in later eras (particularly by the end of 18th century) it was considered bad form, impolite even to wear a hat indoors. I have not seen anything indicating that social nicety extends back as far as the GAoP or not.... but my guess would be yes. And since the quote specifically mentioned "at home" (Which would be indoors), I think it is the proper clothing.

To add to that hypothesis, shirts and chimised/shifts are considered undergarments, so to be "covered" would be to have ones underclothes covered (similarly like how it is not considered proper to hang about in ones underwear today, in polite company anyways ;)  )

Edited by michaelsbagley
Extra thought
Michael_banner.jpg

Yet the quote is "be never covered at home, especially before thy parents or strangers."  Even in one's own home, it seems a bit strange to say that it's good manners to hang out in undergarments when your parents or strangers come for a visit.  That led me to believe that there was some sort of 'proper' time to be uncovered, which would make sense for a hat (or, possibly a wig, overcoat, etc.).  It doesn't really seem socially acceptable to entertain strangers in clothing that isn't proper (even if incomplete to some extent), whether at home or elsewhere.

She was bigger and faster when under full sail

With a gale on the beam and the seas o'er the rail

sml_gallery_27_597_266212.jpg

That's a good point.

Mycroft: "My brother has the brain of a scientist or a philosopher, yet he elects to be a detective. What might we deduce about his heart?"

John: "I don't know."

Mycroft: "Neither do I. But initially he wanted to be a pirate."

Mission_banner5.JPG

Thanks for the responses! I think that a hat would be most logical, though. I have seen pictures around this period where men are dressed in frock coats at table. It's possible they were just posing for the painting, though.

"Let us do evil, that good may come."

- Romans 3:8