How to sew a Ditty-bag

Patrick Hand

OK, I haven't posted much in awhile, but I'm going to start to teach Arron Jr. how to sew, and the first project will be a ditty-bag so he can keep his sewing stuff...well where he can find it.

I will post progress pictures and drawings showing what we are doing as we go along, but be aware they won't be too often, Arron Jr. is only 7 years old (but he is a really smart 7 year old), and he will be working on the project when he is over here, which is about every other week.

But for anyone that doesn't think they can learn how to sew, this should be an interesting series of post....

Someone on Facebook was just opining that they missed your tutorials, Patrick. Glad to see you putting another one together.

Mycroft: "My brother has the brain of a scientist or a philosopher, yet he elects to be a detective. What might we deduce about his heart?"

John: "I don't know."

Mycroft: "Neither do I. But initially he wanted to be a pirate."

Mission_banner5.JPG

• 2 weeks later...

We got a little sewing done on the ditty bag. I still have to upload the picture, and a diagram of what we are doing....

but I'll start with a picture of the stuff that will be used to make and go into the ditty bag...

Dittybag%20Stuff_zpsl62u7vxu.jpg

Not shown is the canvas and rope......

Clockwise from top left.....

scissors in a pvc case (I have to find some bamboo to make a better on for him)

some "T" pins

a pack of needles (we gave the curved needles to Martie and the blunt one to his younger brother so he cold sew yarn through plastic canvas)

a ball of thread (this is a ball of embroidery floss, but it's strong enough for sewing)

a bundle of of hemp cord (for when we get to making eyelets)

a chunk of bee's wax for waxing thread

a pair of pliers (for sewing through thick stuff)

a pencil for marking sewing lines

a Bamboo needle case (an extra one from my ditty bag)

an old screwdriver, ground into an awl, in a pvc case for poking holes in leather (always handy to have)

I still need to make and add a fid. (for opening holes in canvas and ropework )

More to come (EverySoOften as we get more sewn.......)

OK.... some pictures......

here's Arron threading a needle.....

ArronSewing_zpsxdohquc6.jpg

We started with a piece of canvas 19" by 19" folded into a tube...

We folded one edge back 1/2" and the other 1" and then started to "Whipstitch" the edges....

(Whipstitch is where the needle goes through the fabric, and then the next stitch is right next to it on the same side of the fabric)

dittybag1_zpswgqf314r.jpg

(this shows Arron's stitching from the 1/2" side of the seam)

His stitching is not very even yet, but it is getting better the farther along he sewed.....

dittybag2_zpscj22vjgc.jpg

Arron still has about two inches to sew on the first seam, then we can turn the edges to make a"flat felled seam"

(I'll show that in the next post, once we start sewing it, and maybe a diagram of whipstitch)

• 1 year later...