Ahoy Everyone!

I was curious if there is any interest in pen pals. It's nice to get something in the mail other than bills. It also gives people a chance to work on their penmanship, which seems to becoming a dying art form. Personally I like using 'period correct' items, if possible, and like to write while at events. Not always, but it's fun for me.

Anyway, would anyone like to be Pirate Pen Pals? If you are on Facebook, I run a group called Rennie & Pirate Pen Pals if anyone is interested. If you would like to look for someone other than myself to write to, or in addition to me, it might be worth a look. I don't post addresses, but encourage people to send a PM with the address for privacy and security.

-Cassandra

The Pirates Cassandra & Phelan

• 3 weeks later...

It's a grand idea and I hope it gains sea legs. I know people are busy all the time, and I think if you can convince them to slow their lives down a little, you'll get some fine letters. I might join in too once my life balances out a little more. In the meantime, check out this great thread started b Brit Privateer...

https://pyracy.com/index.php/topic/18598-accurate-pen-and-ink-for-period-writing/

image.jpeg.6e5f24495b9d06c08a6a4e051c2bcc99.jpeg

Thank you William. I was gifted a hand made will and ink from Mary Diamond at the Fort Rodman Pyrate Invasion last year and I need practice with them.

I took a look at the thread you suggested, thank you. I never thought about the paper. I have a leather bound journal with hand made paper in it that I now plan on bringing with me to events. :-)

Period correct ink, pens and paper are not required for this. And in some cases, being hand written isn't required. (I understand that some people are physically unable to hand write letters, so printing them is fine) I just want to practice my cursive along with getting to know other pirates, privateers, and buccaneers. At least, that is my hope.

The Pirates Cassandra & Phelan

• 7 years later...

I'd be game for this as a more historical side or type to this that anyone can open and read their letters at events. Or even write at events. 

I've been a part of a historical pen pal group on Facebook, the Wax Seal Society, and it's been bunches of fun! I'd be willing to do something like that - with the old style paper, the nib or quill pens, and ink - with all the wax seals and the Bishop marks and more. 

Anyone game? 

Tempt Fate! an' toss 't all t' Hell!"

"I'm completely innocent of whatever crime I've committed."

The one, the only,... the infamous!