Packing my cutlass for a trip to Florida

Jib

For those of you who have boarded a plane with period weaponry: Is it possible to just simply pack a blade in the bottom of your luggage to check in or do you need to fill out forms and paper work? What is required to travel by air with a weapon to attend an event?

Jib -

I've no first hand knowledge but with the humorless employees of airlines and the TSA, I'd consider shipping it via FedEx to your hotel.

It'll cost you but you know where it is and not on a bureaucrat's list of 'look what I've found today'. :huh:

"Born on an island, live on an island... the sea has always been in my blood." Jas. Hook

"You can't direct the wind . . . but . . . you can adjust the sails."

"Don't eat the chickens with writing on their beaks." Governor Sawney

Jib... I made a lockable pine case that I'd use to carry my blunderbuss, pistol, cutlass and knives to Key West (but no powder). Because I was carrying the blunderbuss, I had to fill out a form that declared it was unloaded, and then have a TSA agent check it... get there early so you have time....But they didn't care about the cutlass or knives because they were in my "checked baggage".....

• 1 month later...

Back from my trip to St. Augustine Florida with an old beat up cutlass. The sword was in my checked luggage and traveled with me just fine! Thanks to all the helpful shipmates!

Side note: St. Augustine is amazing! Lots of pirate fun!