Pirates and mermaids? How should they act together (reposted on the ri

okay, I'm re-posting it here, because I posted it in the wrong section, so it's just the same post as in the historically accurate thread:

Hi, so I'm having a bit of trouble with writing for my series on youtube, "serenade". It takes place in the 18th century in (of course, since I'm Miss Originality) the Caribbean. Obviously, since mermaids aren't exactly the most fact-based creatures on the planet xph34r.png.pagespeed.ic.k8q7vo6B7D.png , so it's been EXTREMELY difficult finding any research on how a crew of privateers would act with a mermaid on board . here's a little brief synopsis

this is sort of an alternate universe to the anime, "Attack on titan". the merfolk are divided into two categories: sirens and mermaids. Sirens are mermaids that have had their hearts broken and the only way for a siren to turn back into a mermaid is if she finds the one who broke her heart and either resolves the issue or kills them. The easier option is to kill them, so that's why they call ships to the rocks.

An unknown incident (presumably a war) happened about 20 years prior to the story resulting in the creation of hundreds if not thousands of sirens. They have sunken so many ships that all trade routes are completely dissolved, and the only souls brave enough to venture the seven seas are pirates (mostly privateers hired to kill sirens by noblemen) because with maritime trade routes gone, these isolated colonies are treasure troves.

Th story begins aboard the Kuchel, a siren-hunting ship. The entire crew was brought together based on their past experiences with sirens and their need for revenge. the come across a small group of sirens and kill all but one, who they haul aboard planning to torture to death. This one, however is later to be revealed as a mermaid since she has the ability to walk on land, speak, and have compassion and normal emotion, and the crew begins to befriend her.

Here's where I'm stuck: The captain of the ship, who lost his mother to sirens, is supposed to fall in love with her. He's a very stoic man who's tried to dehumanize her in every sense of the word (calling her "fish" and "it", that sort of thing). So my big question is, how would this privateer captain fall in love with a captured mermaid in real life? I know it's not unlike sailors to have certain "urges" when out at sea, but this is PG-13 rated thing, plus it's not really in his character to take advantage of her and fall in love from there. Also, she's not the only female on the ship (yes, I know the superstition about women on ships and women weren't really on ships back then), so it sort of invalidates that option. Would a real pirate be more chivalrous upon finding out she hasn't sunken any ships or killed anyone? Or would he be on his guard 24/7 to make sure she didn't? He has to fall in love with her at some point, and as far as I know, love wasn't a big thing with pirates.

So, just let me know what you guys think, and what may actually have happened in a situation at least similar to this one. xblink.png.pagespeed.ic.jZ-_dA-Dno.png

I already moved it for you to fiction. :)

Mycroft: "My brother has the brain of a scientist or a philosopher, yet he elects to be a detective. What might we deduce about his heart?"

John: "I don't know."

Mycroft: "Neither do I. But initially he wanted to be a pirate."

Mission_banner5.JPG

• 2 weeks later...

I hope this doesn't sound harsh...But it's a Fantasy Story... You can set it up and resolve it however you want.

When I was drawing the Pyrate Comix I threw any thought of reality or historical accuracy out the window (or porthole to keep it nautical) and had fun with the story. It was a comix, so no one is going to argue that Pew shouldn't be wearing bucket boots (because it isn't period), nor question what Candie (a girl) was doing on a Pyrate ship.

(link to the Pyrate comix )

https://pyracy.com/index.php/topic/13374-pyrate-comix/