Pirate Flag (a making of)

As a pirate one should have a pirate flag. That sounds easier than it is to achieve, at least that's my experience.

There are lots of templates out there, but I found it very difficult to find a pattern that suits my taste and needs.

I don't want a too complicated design, because such don't feel very period, if you consider that a sail maker had to make such a flag back in the 1700's. And I don't want to just copy one of the better known designs like that of Calico Jack, although I like the crossed sabers more than the crossed bones (because in my oppinion the ratio between the head and the sabers looks better than between head and bones - just a feel of design).

And then a flag design really hit me. It's from Roman Polanski's "Pirates". Who ever came up with that design did a really great job. It looks handmade, it feels period and it have some humor just sewn in. The teeth missing skull is less scary and more funny!

I first thought of making my own design based on this flag but then I decided to just copy it one to one, because that design just feels perfect (and it could be seen as an homage to the original designer).

My flag is made of linen and has the measures 135 cm x 250 cm (about 53" x 98").

1.jpg

The inspiration (a srceenshot from Polanski's "Pirates" title sequence)

2.jpg

my design made in corelDRAW (I have made the sabers a little bit wider)

3.jpg

the layout for printing

4.jpg

the pattern on cardboard

5.jpg

the cut-out pieces of linen

6.jpg

positioning on the black linen

7.jpg

the obverse

8.jpg

layout on the reverse - back-to-front

9.jpg

spray adhesive comes in handy when you do not like pins to attach stuff down

11.jpg

I still have to made the hem by hand

Signature%20640px.jpg

Mr. Christian -

Well done!

I just saw your Davy Jones Locker photos. Awesome! :o

What is the base (material) for the placque and ropes?

Edited by Jas. Hook

"Born on an island, live on an island... the sea has always been in my blood." Jas. Hook

"You can't direct the wind . . . but . . . you can adjust the sails."

"Don't eat the chickens with writing on their beaks." Governor Sawney

Double sided All-Cloth flags (as opposed to painted cloth ones) are a pain to make... you have to cut-out and turn the edge of all the pieces as you sew them, and then turn it over and cut-out the background, and then turn all the edges and sew them... Lots of work, but once it's done it looks cool.

Awesome project. Just finished a smaller version of the Mercury (compared to William's).

Lots of work but in the end it turned out fantastic. This was with very thin white leather rather than linen, with some black

accents on black wool.

stitched on both sides, it is definitely a labor of love.

https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/cKiN8MuaHigFWPgkkLClOP6zHiZ1HCUvsz46ly5DIaU?feat=directlink

mP

Edited by madPete

background.jpg

Aye... Plunder Awaits!

The stiching of the fringe is yet to be made on my flag. It's a real pain to get both sides of the applications lined up eactly and it won't work every time, but the fringe stiching should cover up most of the unaccuracies ;)

But after all it's a pirate's flag, so some unaccuracies should make it just more accurate ;)

Your flag looks very good Mr. Pete, I also like the design, it feels quite period.

Signature%20640px.jpg

This is William Brand's design. He is the Mercury Quartermaster and graphic designer extrordinaire. Since the Mercury crew is flung far and wide,

crew members have crafted several flags for events where they are the only Mercury crew attending. This one is only 54" by 40". Williams is like

8ft X 6ft and all hand-stitched linen pieces. I know cause I've helped repair it! It is quite a marvel.

mP

https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/hJo5932rWGKv5IGoJ2yAgNpzZ1ioESN-GRkNKXc35nQ?feat=directlink

background.jpg

Aye... Plunder Awaits!

• 1 year later...
On 10/26/2016 at 10:38 PM, madPete said:

I just hate when the links get broke!

here was my flag based on Williams design:

flag by madPete

Here is William's flag:

william's flag

My wife Tracy hand sewed our flag using linen thread and linen cross bones on a wool bunting.  It's an amazing flag and she worked tirelessly to make it happen. 

image.jpeg.6e5f24495b9d06c08a6a4e051c2bcc99.jpeg

• 6 years later...