Davy Jones' Locker (the making of)

Maybe one of my primary skills is to pattern (or talking big?), I think that is a good skill for an old pirate like me. You know, the looting ships business is more for younger lads, telling the tales is more appropriate for riper dudes.

A few days ago I started to renovate me a chest (or a locker) to use it at future pirate encampments. While I was thinking how to alter an old wooden locker to my new needs I started to spin a backstory of this locker, how I got it, who the prepossessor was etc. And suddenly a muse was kind enough to me to make up a really nice story (at least I believe so). But this is another story ;)

I have uploaded some pictures here: https://pyracy.com/index.php/gallery/album/657-making-of-davy-jones-locker/

Later I will post the pictures in this topic (as soon as I have the time to upload them somewere else. I somehow are not allowed to link the picture from my members gallery in this post?)

Signature%20640px.jpg

11%20-%20There%20are%20still%20more%20ro

there are still more rope onraments to attach to the locker, but first the several coats of red has to dry

12%20-%20More%20rope%20ornaments%20added

more rope ornaments added

13%20-%20I%20ran%20out%20of%20rope%20%28

yesterday I ran out of rope (because it was a holiday in Germany so I had to wait till today to buy more rope)

I am still working on the locker. More pictures will follow ;)

Signature%20640px.jpg

Mr. Christian -

Well done!

I just saw your Davy Jones Locker photos. Awesome! :o

What is the base (material) for the placque and ropes?

I will answer here.

Thank you Mr. Hook!

The main material is cardboard (2mm thick). The background was glued on a plywood plate with addidional wodden strips left, right and center to give the background a slightly wave. The letters are cardboard too. All brush-painted serveral times with PVA glue (the glue you use in woodworkings - we call it white glue = "Weißleim"). The cords were fixed also with PVA glue and the ropes were heavily brush-painted with it too. This unusual covering with PVA glue "turns" all materials in a kind of "plastic", pores and small gaps got filled well with that glue and you even can shape (or mold) a little so all gets a good blending. Later all will look like lacquered wood and after several weeks it became very hard and durable. The rope is an ordinary rope from a local hardware store.

In real life I am an educated joiner, so I had to deal with this PVA glue very extensive and I lerned to love this kind of glue.

Edited by 'Beer Belly' Bellamy

Signature%20640px.jpg

Mr. Christian -

A splendid job and assembly.

It gives one much thought and ideas for future projects. ^_^

Jas. Hook

"Born on an island, live on an island... the sea has always been in my blood." Jas. Hook

"You can't direct the wind . . . but . . . you can adjust the sails."

"Don't eat the chickens with writing on their beaks." Governor Sawney

Unfortunately I forget also to make enough pictures mainly when I do "miracles" (or as another would say: "when things come/fit together just a miraculous way by sometimes pure incident" ;) ), because I am too focused and deep in "the world of arts and crafts ZEN". Later I will post some more pictures.

Signature%20640px.jpg