Pirate attack strategy - what about marshes?

Elena

Yes, as usual, I need help. I know how the pirates attack in open sea, taking the wind gauge if British, the French were taking the leeward gauge...

But there were pirates also in Barataria, in the Mississippi Delta, among marshes and floating islands, and their tactics had to be different. Also those who hit in Bahamas among the many cays and islets. I would need some different attack techniques...

I also imagine (up to you to tell me if I am right or not) that these pirates in the Mississippi Delta would be men who know well the area and are well armed, but who have pirogues and fishing boats, waiting for a ship to get aground on a floating island or to get stuck somehow in the marsh...

BTMnewad.jpg
-A swashbuckling adventures RPG, set in 1720 in West Indies; winner of Distant Fantasies& RPG-D Member's Choice Award; RPG Conference's Originality Award; 2011 & 2012 Simming Prizes-

I believe that pirate attacks not always took place out on the open sea. There are several incidents in the Gambia and Sierra Leone rivers were the pirates simply attacked the ships with small boats. Snelgrave describes how his ship was attacked in such a way. He blames however the success (for the pirates) on that part of his crew just wanted a join pirates and refused to fight. But there seem to be more incidents where small boats manage to attack ships. Probably mostly while at anchor.

Sorry, I am not answering your question, but perhaps I can give you some ideas that will lead you to more information.

What about land battles? As an example, would a sailor at this period know how to ride a horse?

I know how the pirates attack in open sea, taking the wind gauge if British, the French were taking the leeward gauge...

Why would English and French pirates attack differently at sea? I am just guessing, but wouldn’t it always be of most benefit to be the windward ship?

Thank you for your ideas. They are good. I was hoping for the insight of someone who either knows about the Mississippi Delta pirates, or who knows at least the area. Because my Danube Delta which I know better seems to be radically different - including with having a port, Sulina, both at the river mouth and at the sea at the same time.

Why would English and French pirates attack differently at sea? I am just guessing, but wouldn’t it always be of most benefit to be the windward ship?

In general English (not pirates, Navy too) fought from the windward and French from the leeward:

"French ships typically fired their broadsides on the upward roll of the ship, disabling their opponents but doing little damage to the enemy ships or their crews. This was compounded by the French tendency to fight from the leeward gage, causing the guns to point high as the ships heeled with the wind. British and Dutch ships, by contrast, tended to use the opposite tactic of firing on the downward roll into the enemy hulls, causing a storm of flying splinters that killed and maimed the enemy gun crews."

Source:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sailing_ship_tactics#Development_of_tactics_in_the_French_Navy

BTMnewad.jpg
-A swashbuckling adventures RPG, set in 1720 in West Indies; winner of Distant Fantasies& RPG-D Member's Choice Award; RPG Conference's Originality Award; 2011 & 2012 Simming Prizes-

Yes, and some in the Mississippi Delta. Which is the subject of my question.

BTMnewad.jpg

• 3 months later...

It all depended on the size of the ship. Marshes were used by the lafittes as smugglers hideaways, and could also be used as a safe haven for boat cleaning. Boat cleaning was important, a dirty hull meant less knots. If your looking at rivers as well blackbeard spent alot of his carear doing river pirating, it made things easier as long as you knew no one was attempting to capture you. As for marshes, a common tactic when you were outnumbered or facing a heavier vessal was to go into shallow water, hope they beach themselves, or if it gets too rough you beach yourself and retreat into the marshes. Desperate pirates would have a enemy follow them into a narrow area, set a ship on fire and send it towards the enemy ship. Althoguh not allows sucessful, this proved a valid strategy vs standing targets such as beached men of war, ships trapped in harbor or forts. However, once you got out of your boat and into the marshes your chances of escape lowered significantly(Lafittes excluded), as the royal navy or whoever it was most likely outnumbered you or could send for reinforcements