Long Island Sound and New York City

Hi all, haven't posted in a while. I was wondering if any documented acts of piracy happened in the LI Sound during the GAOP? The only thing I seem to be able to find about the LI Sound is that Kidd may have sailed through there and somebody named Thomas Veal? He predates the GAOP though. LI Sound doesn't seem like it was an ideal place to go pirating anyway, with LI blocking an easy escape. But, I am from CT, so I was just wondering if there is any other info out there.

As far as NYC, do we have names of any pirates that Gov. Benjamin Fletcher dealt with? Was NYC really a booming "pirate town" at the end of the 17th century or has that been exaggerated? Was it more so dealings with privateers or did pirates get a pass as well? Thanks.

Cod -

I'm reading The Hudson: A History by Tom Lewis

There is mention of NYC being a pirate hub but no specific 'plundering'.

It appears that unrestricted trade in contraband and slaves was very common in the area.

It would appear that if there was profit to be made just about everyone turned a blind eye.

A good historical read.

Jas. Hook

"Born on an island, live on an island... the sea has always been in my blood." Jas. Hook

"You can't direct the wind . . . but . . . you can adjust the sails."

"Don't eat the chickens with writing on their beaks." Governor Sawney

• 3 weeks later...

Kidd was a resident of New York City for at least a time, owning a house south of Wall Street near the Battery (a couple of doors down from Fraunces' Tavern Museum.) While well inland now, this would have been waterfront property in the late 17th and early 18th centuries.

Red Sea Trade

In days of old when ships were bold just like the men that sailed 'em,

and if they showed us disrespect we tied 'em up and flailed 'em,

often men of low degree and often men of steel,

they'd make you walk the plank alone or haul you 'round the keel.

--Adam and the Ants