The Traveling Pyrate

madPete

I thought some of you might be interested in my traveling camping kit for events.

With the exception of the period hammock (I used a lightweight nylon hammock), I built this kit

in 2009 for my first attendance at FTPI (known as Pirates in Paradise or PIP then).

Over the years this kit has served me very well. This is strictly for events that I fly to. When I drive the stops come off.

This kit was weighed for each piece in order to verify it meets the airline 50 # limit. and it comes in a couple pounds under.

Kit includes:

wedge tent

stakes

ropes

a ground cloth

a wool army blanket

a cloth bag for pillow (place extra clothes or coat in the bag for a pillow)

a German duffelbag

a cot OR a period hammock and bag (depending on if I know there are available trees)

What it doesn't include:

poles - I usually have someone bring extras for me or stop at home depot

a chair - I really need a chair with a back and so far have not built one that works with the kit (But I am working on that)

My pirate clothing or weapons

This bag gets checked and I sometimes roll my knife, utensils and mug inside the tent in the bag.

I bring a carry-on with clothing and a small backpack for essentials and that covers it.

I know there are improvements to be made - feel free to chime in with ideas.

https://picasaweb.google.com/PeterChaaps/Traveling_pirate?authuser=0&authkey=Gv1sRgCK_22o_Ou9-83gE&feat=directlink

mP

background.jpg

Aye... Plunder Awaits!

I've flown with pistols and rifles before (not period, which generally make them harder to fly with). Check the airline's requirements, but usually it's that they need to be in a locked, hard sided case. Some require ammo to be seperate, some just locked up in the same case. Obviously, they should be unloaded. Essentially, you sign a little card saying that they're unloaded and put it in the box with the firearms. I doubt that they'd let loose black powder on the plane at all. My understanding is that as long as you're legally allowed to own them in the place you're departing and your destination, that there isn't an issue. Where I see a possible hassle is in states where pistols are highly restricted. Technically, these period pieces are not considered firearms in the eyes of the law, but curio/relics. However, a TSA agent might not know that, and it might mean that you'll have to explain it 5 times to 3 different people and look up the regulations yourself to prove it...

She was bigger and faster when under full sail

With a gale on the beam and the seas o'er the rail

sml_gallery_27_597_266212.jpg

Technically, these period pieces are not considered firearms in the eyes of the law, but curio/relics. However, a TSA agent might not know that, and it might mean that you'll have to explain it 5 times to 3 different people and look up the regulations yourself to prove it...

I've flown with my blunderbuss and pistol a few years ago going to FTPI. everything was in a locked hard case, as per TSA rules. No powder and you sign a card stating that they are unloaded... Unfortunately the TSA people don't know anything about muzzle loaders, so you have to explain how to use the ramrod to "Ring" the barrel to show that they are unloaded....Just arrive early and expect some delays.....

• 1 year later...

This is a great topic to resurrect... I am starting to plan how much I can streamline my gear so as to fly with it. in 2014, my wife and I managed to do Fort Taylor with 2 modern carry-on luggage pieces, my large canvas snapsack (it's made from a 36' square piece of canvas sewn into a tube, then eyelet/grommets on both ends for closures), and a custom canvas bag just barely big enough to hold the tarp shelter I've used since my first experience at Fort Taylor.

My goal for January is the have all of my luggage fit into my leather snapsack (it's about 28' long, and about 24" circumference), and my large canvas snapsack. The target is those two pieces of baggage only. we'll see as I get things together if I succeed or not.

Michael_banner.jpg

The trick is finding the right duffel. Airline restrictions are usually L+W+H <= 62 inches.

This might cause you grief (I assume you truly meant circumference and not diameter Mickey)

I found duffel bags ~$20 pretty easily, that are 12in diameter by 35in long or 35+12+12 = 59. so its pretty close to max size

mP

background.jpg

Aye... Plunder Awaits!