Greek mythology

RoyalJames

References to Greek gods or other creatures of the Greek mythology often pops up when reading old texts from the period. Especially when it comes to the naming of ships (and perhaps French in particular?).

One image that many here probably are familiar with is the cover to the Dutch General History of the Pirates, which Rediker makes an interesting comparison to the painting “La Liberté guidant le people”.

But what is the painter’s message? And who are the gods?

I guess we see one of the wind gods, perhaps Zephyrus. Justitia is pretty clear with the scale. Beside her one male god is almost strangled by the lady, perhaps Deimos for terror? To the left there is a creature, Manticore? – the devil?

Is she controlling the gods, or are they helping her?

51wiKnJHv1L.jpg

In higher resolution

• 2 weeks later...

Actually, JCB Archives (which you linked to) does a pretty good job of telling you everything that can possibly be known about their images without trying to read things into them from my experience. From their Description:

"A female pirate wielding a sword stands in front of a pirate flag depicting a skeleton, hour glass, and skulls and crossed bones. A man [representing the wind?] blows on her while under her feet are treasures, weighing scales, chains, wrecked ships, and a man [Mercury, god of commerce] and woman [Justice]. In the background, men hang from the gallows."

Marcus Rediker, OTOH, is a self proclaimed "historical activist" (he says as much on his website), so I personally don't trust his opinion on such things. This is not to say he doesn't do good research, just that he tries to stretch and mold the facts to fit his desired conclusion.

That aside, it's most interesting that the pirate is female, if they have interpreted it correctly. There are only two female pirates in Johnson's book. It could have deep meaning or it could just be a marketing gimmick. (Notice how some of the images from the various editions of this book show Mary and Ann topless? Tell me that isn't basically there to appeal to the prurient interests. I guess it sells beer, why not pirate books?)

Mycroft: "My brother has the brain of a scientist or a philosopher, yet he elects to be a detective. What might we deduce about his heart?"

John: "I don't know."

Mycroft: "Neither do I. But initially he wanted to be a pirate."

Mission_banner5.JPG

Thanks, I missed that text (blinded by the lady pirate perhaps).

I wonder who the typical reader of the book was. Perhaps the symbolism of the Greek gods was more common at the time and most readers knew their characteristics and thus got the underlying message?

I agree that it is interesting that the picture shows a female. I guess it either is to promote the surprising fact that there were female pirates (which the book must have been the first to reveal), or she has a deeper meaning in the picture.

Perhaps she was drawn topless just to make clear that it is a woman and not just a man with long hair?