Available on DVD: Black Sails season 1

Jib

I picked up Black Sails, season 1 on DVD. I was able to watch the first episode early but other than trailers had not watched any of the show. Despite many historical, equipment, and costume concerns expressed by the community I found the show very captivating! Very exciting, well, acted and very, very well written. Many episodes depicted a tension you could feel as you watched the show. Deep plots and with lots of exciting characters. The battles at sea were intense!

If you have a passing fancy for action and adventure with a piratical theme give the show a try! I have been told that we will be able to enjoy at least 3 seasons of Black Sails.

Anyone else watch the series have a few comments? We could mark some as having spoilers if you'd like to discuss individual episodes.

Aye Mate, thank ye for yer review. I'm in the same boat - er, situation - having never seen anything but a trailer or two in passing. I don't expect a lot on the historical accuracy side from most productions, so no issues there - I keep true to historically accurate portrayals for me own adventures, but I don't let that get in the way of a good story told by someone else! Thanks again, Aye-

Jib -

I found it a worthwhile purchase as I don't subscribe to Starz and would have missed it otherwise.

I've since picked up an extra copy of the dvd set as a raffle item for the Brigand's 5th Pirates Ball in CT.

"Born on an island, live on an island... the sea has always been in my blood." Jas. Hook

"You can't direct the wind . . . but . . . you can adjust the sails."

"Don't eat the chickens with writing on their beaks." Governor Sawney

Jib -

I found it a worthwhile purchase as I don't subscribe to Starz and would have missed it otherwise.

I've since picked up an extra copy of the dvd set as a raffle item for the Brigand's 5th Pirates Ball in CT.

That could be a fine gift!

• 3 weeks later...

Wow . . . finally saw the first episode last night . . . glad the boys were in already in bed, just saying! Thanks to this forum for the warning on that account. I have to figure the gratuitous sex scenes would add up to the normal amount of time for commercials in a regular tv broadcast? . . . seriously, you could cut those out completely and arguably have a better show - or at least one where the story could be more noticeable than the distractions! But aye, the story we found interesting and the characters as well, their interactions and all that good, good action scenes, intriguing plot, all good. The mullet hair, mutton chops, goatees, and crumpled cowboy hats almost as distracting as that "other stuff", but on the whole, a good watch and good story . . . if only I could edit up a PG version so we wouldn't have to hide the discs!

Yeah the sex is much too raw in Black Sails. I think the people behind these series believe the average person is only going to watch for the T&A and not the story. Buried under the all the nakedness is a good exciting story! My reason for watching Black Sails.