Pirates and keelhauling

Keelhauling appears often as a mention in fiction pirate tales.

And keelhauling (Dutch kielhalen; "to drag along the keel"; German Kielholen; Swedish kölhalning; Danish kølhaling; Norwegian kjølhaling) was a real punishment used during most of the age of sail. Traditionally at least in Northern Europe, Britain, Holland and France it was a used practise from Tudor era up to the 18th Century. Even Navies sometimes practised as a form of punishment. It seems that in Netherlands the practise wasn't formally abolished until 1853, while it had been abandoned earlier.

So in the pirate era (let’s say about 1630-1730 in this case. But we can also include Tudor era privateers.) The practise was known if not fashionable during the latter part of it. Yet, I have never encountered mentions of pirates, buccaneer or privateers actually using this form of torture/execution anywhere. I have probably missed something so that is why I raised the question. It is certainly more authentic than walking the plank, but how much we can relate it to pirates and not just to the period.

And here a picture too

The keelhauling of the ship's surgeon of admiral Jan van Nes, Lieve Pietersz. Verschuier. Made between 1660-1686

Het_kielhalen_van_de_scheepschirurgijn_v

Edited by Swashbuckler 1700

"I have not yet Begun To Fight!"
John Paul Jones

flag-christopher-condent.gif

Blowing this painting up to 400% reveals that it appears to be quite a spectator sport.

"Want to go on a picnic today hon?" "Nah, let's go and take in the kielhalen, it starts at 1PM." :rolleyes:

"Born on an island, live on an island... the sea has always been in my blood." Jas. Hook

"You can't direct the wind . . . but . . . you can adjust the sails."

"Don't eat the chickens with writing on their beaks." Governor Sawney