1700 Sleeved Waistcoat

madPete

Started a sailor jacket. It is based on Reconstructing History pattern 704 - 1700s-1730s Sleeved and Sleeveless waistcoats.

The medium weight wool is more a cross between royal blue and navy blue than it shows. The lining is a striped linen tablecloth from the local Goodwill store. oatmeal and light brown stripes. I decided I needed a blue sailor coat to portray a british sailor at some point in time. this color is very flexible for other things as well.

No outside pockets, one inside the lining. thinking plain brass buttons at this point.

british01.jpgbritish02.jpgbritish_lining.jpg

mP

background.jpg

Aye... Plunder Awaits!

I've had the wool a couple years now, and dont remember where I got it. just remember I paid less than $10 a yard. I originally bought it for a lighter weight colonial regimental.

Its about 12-14 ounce weight, and I still have enough for the regimental if I ever get around to it...

The tablecloth (lining) was tagged 100% linen and is a looser weave than most, nice oatmeal with brown stripes.

can't wait to get back to it... I hate putting sleeves on LOL

mP

background.jpg

Aye... Plunder Awaits!

• 3 months later...

Finally got back to my sailor coat project. For some reason I always procrastinate when it comes time to join the lining at

the shoulders. I guess its the bad 1st experience with shoulder seams that I remember and dread. The coat is done, but I

need brass buttons for this one and once size if determined, I'll do the buttonholes (yeah I know that is a large portion of the work).

I am trying to get a brass button purchase arranged, so waiting til we know if that will go. When I have a price and info - I will post that.

The newer pics are much closer to the actually color (taken during daylight) - link to the album

https://picasaweb.google.com/PeterChaaps/2015SailorCoat_project?authuser=0&authkey=Gv1sRgCM-UhvHVgr7h3AE&feat=directlink

mP

background.jpg

Aye... Plunder Awaits!

Awesome job! Can't wait to see some pics of you wearing it at an event (or better yet, in person in those circumstances).

Like! Oh that's right... this isn't facebook ;-)

background.jpg

Aye... Plunder Awaits!

• 3 months later...
  • 1 year later...