New Job...

Patrick Hand

hey... guess who's going to be a Ski-lift Operator?

The Mascot Business gets really.....really slow in Winter, so I went out and got another job.

It's kinda weird, I applied for a job a Jo Ann's, but I guess they only wanted little old ladies that can very slowly cut fabric...with 32 years of working with fabric making Mascots, and my art experience they weren't interested in what I could do to help their customers...

As I was applying for a bunch of different jobs, I quickly realized just how important a job cover letter is... since 1976, I've only had three Jobs.... 4 years U.S. Army (Infantry) ...2 years at R. Cali Feed Store (working in the warehouse) and 32 years as a Costume Designer...So my resume only hints at all of the skills that I possess. When I applied for the Ski lift job, I was a little more creative with my cover letter, and it caught their attention.

From my experience, most of the customers at Joann are women and you are one tall, slightly forbidding-looking guy, Patrick. Plus, just on general principles I suspect the sort of women who sew tend to be introverts (although this is certainly not entirely true) and would rather deal with other women. It's psychology.

Mycroft: "My brother has the brain of a scientist or a philosopher, yet he elects to be a detective. What might we deduce about his heart?"

John: "I don't know."

Mycroft: "Neither do I. But initially he wanted to be a pirate."

Mission_banner5.JPG

You were probably over-qualified for the Joann Fabrics job and your mad skills would have made the other employees there feel inadequate.

I've been in Jo-Ann's, and helped customers find what they wanted when the employee just kinda sorta knew where that stuff was.....and didn't know anything about it... (art and craft supplies)

Dang... I can cut fabric (and I told the women there how to fix their scissors so they could cut fabric....it has to do with the scissors "springing...or getting bent....)

I guess what Mission said about the women going to Jo-Ann's being introverts and being frightened by a tall scary guy kinda makes sense....

Like I said/typed in the first post... I've learned how important the cover letter is on a job application....Martie doesn't think I'd have fun working there, but I though I'd be an asset being able to help people with their projects......

Oh yeah... not a lot of creative job opportunities up here in Sonora.... so Jo-Ann's was the best around....

But being a Ski Lift Operator will look so dang good on my next resume......And I'm looking forward to the job.

Don't feel too bad Patrick. I got my BSE and Teaching Cert., but I'm working at a nursing home surrounded by death, dementia, and incompetence of alarming proportions, doing maintenance and housekeeping duties.

Bo

Edited by Capt. Bo of the WTF co.

Congrats on the job! It should be fun, if nothing else. That's one of the many reasons I'm currently (well, in the summer months) captaining a whaling ship (well, whale watching, but that's not as much fun to say). Ironically, I just saw a guy working in our local Jo-Ann's today...of course Alaskan can't be scared of gruff looking men or we'd die out within a couple of generations.

She was bigger and faster when under full sail

With a gale on the beam and the seas o'er the rail

sml_gallery_27_597_266212.jpg

• 1 month later...

Just finished my second day on th' Job.... Dang... I'm not use-to standing for eight hours.... my legs are killing me (but Martie says she has something "special" to fix that,...)

I gotta bring sunglasses and sunscreen tomorrow....I'm getting a tan (In Winter!)

So far, I've been working the bunny hill, but I really enjoy watching as people improve so quickly... (Both the kids and the adults)

It's fun, but with Winter Driving conditions, it takes me and hour and a half (on icy roads) to get to work.... 12 hour days at close to minimum wage... but it should look good on my resume..... 8)