Jas Townsends 1740s frock coat

I plan on buying the plans from reconstructing history for the 1710's frock coat and sewing it myself, but I've been curious about the one for sale at jas-townsend.com. They make the claim that it is appropriate for the 1740's through the 1760's, but looking at it, it seems remarkably similar to many illustrations of pirates from the golden age. Pleated in the back, slit down the center, buttons all the way down the front. The shape of the cuffs seems to be off a bit, but that's the only thing I've noticed. Can I get anyones thoughts?

http://jas-townsend.com/1740-frock-coat-p-1252.html

I'm not a true expert, but other than the price, and maybe the buttons (size - maybe a little large - and number - maybe too few), I don't see much wrong with it. Those don't have to be show-stoppers depending on your event/group/preference and available funds, of course. But I haven't seen one of these in person. Fabric choice would be important of course, but the basic cut looks ok to me. I have seen their other civilian frocks in person (Rev War era ones) and they look to be fine enough except for those huge paisley metal buttons they put on them - used to put on them anyway, not sure if they still do.

yours, aye,

John

I have not seen one of these coats, but I have had several articles of clothing from them and I can say with all confidence that their clothing is built to last. It may not pass muster at the more scrutinized juried events, but it will be a solid garment that will last you for a long time. I still have my favorite waistcoat (1750's style in nat. linen) made by them, going on 12 years and worn a lot, not just at events but hunting and woods-walking/trekking as well. Never even had to replace a button so far. They make great stuff at good prices, and are a joy to do business with.

Bo