Waterproofing Tent Canvas

Animal

Canvas in good shape should be fairly water resistant as-is as long as you don't touch it while wet. However, if you are sure you want to do this (not historically correct but); Thompsons water seal is the most economical. Use a garden sprayer, stretch the canvas fairly taught, and spray the entire area coating it well. Of course do this only outside in a well ventilated area. It will take a few days for it to dry well enough to fold and pack. Hope this is some help.

Bo

Just wash the canvas in HOT water and dry it on Hot before you make your lean- to, tent or tarp. You want to pre-shrink the canvas as much as possible, and it will be semi-waterproof.

I used to use a waterproofer called Preservo, specifically for canvas ..... It's parafin dissolved in mineral spirits. I found it at a sign shop that made awnings and such. I would check at a marina that handles sailboat canvas. It came in gallon cans and you paint it on and give time for the mineral spirits to evaporate. It kinda smells like mineral sprits forever but it's not unbearable and it is a technique that goes back quite a long time.

Self Promoter Jim

Pirate Gear oldsutlerjohn.biz

American Civil War oldsutlerjohn.net