St Marie pirate cemetery

RoyalJames

Hi ,

Would there even be a pirate cemetery? perhaps am it just seems odd to me.

As Foxe once corrected me Jasper seetar / segar was in command of a vessel around St Marie , but he also died there. Would he have had a proper burial?

While on the topic of death , is the term "browns garden" a common term? , reason for asking one captain mentions of burying men in browns garden. which to me sounded odd. I do hope someone could clarify this one.

Well, at least there is a place there called the ”pirate cemetery”. And why not, St Marie seems to have been a pirate port for around 1684 – 1725 (referring to Bry’s chapter of the Fiery Dragon in X marks the spot). I think I have read somewhere that St Marie had around 1000 inhabitants at some point. Many of the pirates that settled down married local women and presumably there must have been children too. During the 40 years of the society there must have been deaths, and thus funerals.

I know very little about it, but if the “pirate cemetery” is what it sounds like, it would be of interest to know more about the people buried there. And, not less if one of the stones says Seagar =)

250px-Pirates_Cemetery_Ile_Ste_Marie_Mad