Cannon Mishap - Tragic

Red John

(CNN) -- What was supposed to be a celebratory lesson in American history has sent three children to the hospital.

They were a part of a Civil War re-enactment group watching a parade in Orem, Utah, when a cannon set off an explosion Saturday. Witnesses said two of the three children injured were initially engulfed in flames, according to CNN affiliate KUTV.

"When the flames went up in the air these three children started crying. One little girl's clothes were on fire, we're told," witness Brittany Tait told KUTV. "People were running with water to douse her."

The blast happened at the start of the parade, the city's Department of Public Safety said.

The cannon was fired, and a spark landed on a pouch containing additional charges for the cannon. The smoldering ember set off the contents of the pouch, blowing it up and injuring all three children, the press release explained.

The extent of the children's injuries was not immediately known Sunday, but authorities said they were in stable condition when they were transported to a nearby hospital.

Blast happened because they didn't follow proper safety procedures, no? Should not the extra charges been contained in a lidded metal container of some type? and the pouch only used to transfer the charge from the metal container when needed? So now everyone is going to be anti-live cannon fire because someone was either in a hurry or just being stupid.

Edited by Littleneckhalfshell

No Fear Have Ye of Evil Curses says you...

Aye,... Properly Warned Ye Be says I

Gah! Stupid people. And this is what happens with gun ownership as well. A few stupid, crazy, or careless people and the rest get penalized for it.

So, shall we count violations of safe cannon procedures from this very sketchy report? Insufficient clearance to spectators. More than one round in the pouch. Children(!) in the safety zone. Pouch not properly secured, else the spark wouldn't have made it into the pouch. Probable violations: rounds not in aluminum foil (or that was one big, hot spark.)

Makes me wonder what else they may have been doing wrong. Also, why wasn't the guy with the pouch burned? Why only the children?

Edit: Video: http://www.jems.com/article/news/cannon-explodes-during-utah-parade

Edited by Captain Jim

3ff66f1f.jpg

My occupational hazard bein' my occupation's just not around...

Thanks to ye Capn Jim for the commentary . . . I held off and just posted the story verbatim . . . because I probably couldn't have gone into the points you did without some four-lettered adjectives as to the folks responsible. Your words are appreciated.

Aye-

John

Aaaannndd from the video is seems the pouch was left unsecured on the ground with the children standing around it. Can't really tell for sure but that's what it looks like. I'm sure more video of this will surface with a better angle on the stupid.

3ff66f1f.jpg

My occupational hazard bein' my occupation's just not around...

Unbelievable. I did my last Civil War event weekend before last. We had a Union gun crew on a Mountain Howitzer light-off a charge in our faces at less than 100 feet. There was nearly a real battle between them and us right then and there. We reformed and stopped the reenactment and marched off the field leaving the event organizers and spectators wondering WTF??? Stupid seems to be taking over the whole damn world. I feel bad for the kids, this should never have happened.

Bo

I heard of someone getting hurt at a skirmish in Wis. too. That is why insurance is needed for anyone around gunpowder or involved in sword-fighting.

I'm very sad to see anyone get hurt. :(

Pirate Lass with sass, brass, a cutlass, an a nice *ss. Capt of the FOOLS GOLD PIRATES

BLAST BREAST CANCER! GET A MAMMOGRAM AND SAVE YOUR TREASURED CHEST:

http://www.myspace.c...iratesthinkpink

http://www.myspace.c...oolsgoldpirates

CAPT OF THE ONLY PYRITE SHIP AFLOAT: THE FOOL'S GOLD- look for us and Captain Merrydeath on facebook!

merrydeathsigsmall.jpg