A Few Questions

Amira

I've never been to the Fort Taylor Pyrate Invasion, but I've managed to convince my mother to let me go this year, and I have a few questions.

1. I'm interested in staying on site in a tent, but would that be allowed because I'm not currently attached to any crew?

Assuming the answer to number 1 is "yes"...

2. What's the deal with cooking fires? Again, never been there, I don't know how all this works.

3. Would I need to get my kit approved by someone before I would be allowed to participate? I've seen posts about minimum standards for garb, but again, I don't know how this works.

4. I know I had more questions, but I can't remember them at this time. I will probably end up either editing this post or asking later on.

Thanks in advance!

"“If you're going to be crazy, you have to get paid for it or else you're going to be locked up.” ~Hunter S. Thompson

I'm not sure how to respond to the crew question. I'm sure something could be arranged on that one.

There are a very limited number of cooking fires (I'm thinking there were 2 or 3 of them last year), although there were two very reasonably-priced, good food vendors there last year.

You won't need your kit pre-approved. The event doesn't have strict garb standards, although you want to at least look whatever part you're striving for. Are you going for period correct garb or more movie/fantasy-style garb? There are both types of participants at this event. We tend to focus here on the forum on period correct garb because most of the folks who discuss things in the FTPI Forum (primarily from the Mercury and Arch-Angel crews) are oriented towards achieving period correctness.

For reference, you can look at photos and information from last year on the Event Website. The Participants Page can give you some insight into how things work, although the documents linked to there are from 2013 and will almost certainly change somewhat for this year. (The site won't be updated for the 2014 event until September or so.)

You can also read through my 2013 event journal or the Presenting the Past Blog to get a (slightly skewed) idea of how things go. Both contain photos.

Mycroft: "My brother has the brain of a scientist or a philosopher, yet he elects to be a detective. What might we deduce about his heart?"

John: "I don't know."

Mycroft: "Neither do I. But initially he wanted to be a pirate."

Mission_banner5.JPG

Thank you both very much for your help!

"“If you're going to be crazy, you have to get paid for it or else you're going to be locked up.” ~Hunter S. Thompson

Thank you, D B Couper, (love the name by the way. Clever.) but I've already found out all I can from the official site. Thanks for taking the time to respond though!

Welcome aboard and thank you for your interest in this year's pyrate invasion.

To answer your questions: I'm sure we can work out something in regards to being attached with a crew. Since you mentioned getting your mom's approval to attend this year, I do have to ask if you are under 18. (You do not need to answer this question publicly) Not that it will effect your attendance but there is a release of liability form that will need to be signed by a parent or legal guardian if you are under 18.

We require that all tents for participants be canvass and appropriate for the time period being portrayed. We do not have a modern camping area.

We are allowed three cooking fires and they are shared by all members of the encampment.

You do not need to have your kit approved but we encourage you to be as authentic as possible in the encampment.

You are welcome to contact me with any questions you have here on the pub or email me privately at lily.alexander@rochester.rr.com

YHS, Lily

PS. You are also welcome to join our facebook group.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/130021940343737/

If you're gonna give me a headache, please bring me an aspirin!

http://www.forttaylorpyrates.com/